Could not activate Shopify Payments

SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

I bought a store recently, however when I tried to activate the payment I'm getting the following error.

"Could not activate Shopify Payments

Name has already been taken
you must disable Shopify Payments to use this provider"

I contacted Shopify support yesterday. I didn't get any response from them yet. I already started regretting buying a Shopify store.

Replies 12 (12)

iDevTsek
Excursionist
21 2 3

Hi,

When changing Shopify Payments accounts, you will require the assistance of the Shopify Support team. Create a support request here: https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V

banned

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 95

Hi @SK5 

Have you tried contacting Shopify via live chat support? If not you can try with this link: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact/chat 

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

It is not live support. The link takes to the same support page I had sent the support request. Is there any way to escalate this? It has been more than 2 days since I requested help. 

Maz
Shopify Staff
1161 129 178

Hey @SK5!

This error message you are seeing usually appears when the business address or location has been changed to a different country in Settings > Store Details.  As mentioned by both @Anindita  and @iDevTsek our live support teams would need to have a closer look at this for you in order to get it resolved. You can reach out to our 24/7 live support via phone, chat, or email by following this link here.

Maz | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

Thanks for the response. I contacted Support two days earlier, I didn't receive any response yet.

Maz
Shopify Staff
1161 129 178

Hi @SK5!

Thanks for getting back to me here on this thread. Live chat can be accessed via our support portal that I linked above. I'd recommend the live chat service and requesting an update on your open support request. Simply type your query into the "ask about a topic" bar, then hit continue to support to access and select the chat function. Let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.

While I would love to be able to provide you with an update on this, we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, I do hope this gets resolved for you very soon!

SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

Thanks again. Tried that as well. 

Got the reply but not resolved yet. I too hope this get resolved fast. 

SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

Is there any way to escalate this? I spent thousands of dollars to purchase this store. Now it is sitting there where I cannot do anything. All I get is replies that someone is looking into it.

Since I purchased the site through shopify marketplace, Shopify should refund my payment if it drags this long. It is almost like throwing the money away.

Maz
Shopify Staff
1161 129 178

Hi @SK5.

Regrettably, there would be no way for me to escalate this for you, as we are unable to access your account from here due to merchant privacy and security. Our escalated support teams generally respond within 3-5 business days, but at times that can take longer. Rest assured they understand the importance and will be back to you as soon as possible.

SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

I understand there is nothing you can do. I got a reply from support highlighting the TOS where it says the new owner can still be ineligible for the shopify payments.
That's brilliant way of doing business. There is nothing I could do except to send this reply to blow off the steam.

"True. Shopify have masterfully covered their base with the legally well crafted terms of use.

However, underneath the brilliant legal terms lies the utter stupidity of letting the hands that feeds the monster fail.
By letting a revenue generating store to sell to another person without guaranteeing the payment method and thinking that they can hide behind the TOS. What do you call that?

How long will you be able to milk the monthly fee from a losing store? How will you stop someone from switching to WooCommerce? Do you think anyone with the right mind would buy another shopify store after this experience?

Perhaps, this explains why the graph below looks like this and people wonder in the board room why the stock has been going down.

Perhaps, this is the reason,  there are so many once stock market darlings ended up in corporate junk yards.
I know nothing is going to happen by writing this, however, at least one employee would benefit from waking up and jumping the sinking ship at the right time or at-least brush up the resume. "

trkycr
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello! Did you solve this problem? 

SK5
Tourist
8 0 1

It's quite frustrating to experience this lack of support after purchasing store from Shopify Marketplace. I spent the money to buy the store but I cannot do anything with the store at this point without an activate payments.