Counter intuitive shipping method? - Weight based rate doesn't make sense

Will_Hurrell
4 0 0

Hi,

One thing that has kind of disappointed me about shopify, probably the first thing so far, is the extreme lack of options when it comes to shipping.

Weight based rates - Obviousl, calculating the price of shipping based on the weight of what is being purchased.

The way I thought it would work is...

I have an item that weights 1kg.

I set a rate that costs $5 shipping for 1kg.

A customer buys 3 of this item (totaling 3 kgs)

Shopify knows I want $5 for 1kg so 3*5 = $15 worth of shipping.

But instead shopify will just charage $5 because each item is 1kg.

This really seems extremely bizzare to me, causing people to have to tediously create rates with small increments.

At least it would be nice if there were some conditional formatting.

So we could say something like.

IF <customer> is from <country> AND <product> IS <from collection / weight / size / quantity> THEN

Well, that's a poorly thought out example but I'm sure you get the idea. I just feel like, the easiest fix, would at least be a checkbox where we can tell shopify that we want to calculate shipping based on a per weight unit calcuation, rather than charge $3 for an item that weighs 10grams even if they add 10000 of those items still only charge $3.

Replies 3 (3)
Leon
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
205 1 69

Hi, Will.

This is Leon from Shopify Support.

Sorry for any confusion in setting up your shipping rates as desired. It looks like you're on the right track to having the rates set up the way you'd like using weight-based rates. If you're looking to have the price of shipping increase at a rate of $5 per kilogram, you'll need to set up incremental rates.

For example, you will have a rate for a single item by weight (0.0-1kg) at a rate of $5, and another rate below that for 2 items (1.1-2 kg) at a rate of $10.00, then 3 items (2.01-3 kg) and so on, for each number of products you’d like to set up.

Here’s an example of how it would look in your store:

For more items you can either add a “heavy item” shipping charge as I’ve done in the example, or you could add a note to your cart page notifying customers to contact you for special pricing beyond that number of items.

Additionally, in order for this to work consistently you’ll need to ensure your packaging weight from the shipping page is set to 0.00kg as well, otherwise you’ll end up having a rate for 2 items appear when the customer has only added one to the cart.

Shipping in each store can be customized in a number of different ways, whether you prefer weight-based, price-based, or app controlled shipping rates. Please feel free to reach out anytime if you’d like to discuss another way to set up shipping in Shopify.

I hope this helps you out!

Have a great one.

Leon

Leon | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

shriya_sannd
4 0 0

Hey, 

Try using 2Ship as a shipping platform! It is very easy to use if you are shipping domestic or international. You don’t have to go and search for carriers who offer you low rates. You can use 2Ship to compare rates and see which service suits you the most. You can calculate the rates based on the dimension and the weight of the package. It has helped me a lot. 

I hope this helps you out! 

waelalwirr
1 0 0

hi 

isnt there a way to do it better ... since we cannot control how many items the customer will choose ?