FROM CACHE - en_header

Credit Card fees during a charge back or cancelled order

CatLevy
1 0 3

Hi All, I thank you in advance for any help in this matter.

we had two High-Risk orders that we did not fulfill.

one order ended up as a chargeback and one was canceled by us.

when Shopify refunded the customers they kept the credit card fees.

so they charged us for it (which came by to be $600+)

I thought that is an order get canceled/charged back or refunded, we return our portion and Shopify returns the credit card fees part because the sale was canceled. 

we tried endlessly calling and trying to explain but no one wants to listen or talk to us on the phone, its always a call center, and in the last email they sent us they claim that the credit card processing fee is non-refundable.

I know this is not true because we did refund a customer in the past and they did reverse the Credit card charges.

Can anyone help in shedding light on this?

Thank you 

Replies 5 (5)
KatieEbey
1 0 1

I've noticed the same thing. The last refund I received the CC fee credit for was in January. 

Eddie64
Excursionist
15 0 8
Can we get someone from Shopify to respond to this please
Eddie64
Excursionist
15 0 8

I did receive a private message from Shopify but it did not address anything.  Love to see a change on this issue.  I can't imagine my store keeping cc fees from customers when they return an item to me........Love to be treated like I treat my customers.....

Tatjana_Manerov
Tourist
8 0 2

I faced the same problem recently and this is absolutely disappointing. Perhaps we shall open a petition against Shopify's new rules about non-refunded fees for cancelled orders. Would you sign this kind of petition if we'll have it?

Muriel_Santos
Tourist
3 0 3

I am chatting right now with customer service and they are telling me, in my own words, that's how the "game" is played. Credits cards will charge your business a fee whenever an order is placed. If you refund it later - in my case, 23 minutes after the customer placed her order by mistake, and per her request - you still will be left with the fee. So I am asking them what is the solution they offer to merchants to get around this issue as it can become a huge cost for us. They are telling me that I need to write a return policy that will protect my business. So I asked if it would be ok to charge the client the fee whenever they wish to get a refund on their order and the answer is not clear. So I am registering here for everyone to see. I will add that to my refund policy and I will refund the client the order value minus the credit card fee for that order. I hope this is not illegal. You know, it's only legal for the white collar people (credit card issuers) to take advantage of small business.