Solved

Can I verify a credit card with mismatched details on Shopify?

Rosa4eva
Tourist
7 0 2

I have an order which is  a red flag for one of my online orders. How I can verify the credit card? The name on the card and the address are different. Please help. I don't have customer phone number. Shipping and name are different from credit card 

Accepted Solution (1)
dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

This is an accepted solution.

If you'd like to save the order, but still be certain the card isn't stolen - consider using an ID check with our app Real ID.

You can automatically and securely capture your customer's ID document like passport, drivers license or national ID card and we'll automatically compare it against the billing information.

Link to the app in my signature. First 10 checks are free.

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

Hello @Rosa4eva!

This is Lana from Shopify. I see you have a question about one of your orders so I wanted to help you out.

There may be times where you will see a red or orange symbol next to the order number, which will look like this:

21-54-64221-20328

When you see this, the next steps should be to go into the order and look into the Fraud analysis section. Here, it will list out the different characteristics which put this order at a risk of fraud, in your case you mentioned that the credit card was not verified and the addresses did not match, which is why the symbol came up.
I have a detailed help doc on the Fraud analysis for you here which will give you some more context, and this is what the section looks like:

27-20-46057-85421

The card verification is not something that you can fix or change on your end, but looking into this, you might want to get in touch with the customer directly to confirm whether or not they placed the order. If you get no response, or if you are unsatisfied with the way they responded, you can feel free to cancel or refund the order straight away, and I have a doc on this process for you here. If you are happy to go ahead with the order, you can just fulfil it as normal from there.

The biggest risk with fulfilling orders like this is that it could result in a chargeback, which is when a customer disputes the charge with their bank.
Chargebacks are always tough situations for business owners like yourself. While here at Shopify we do not have any influence or control over the bank's decision, we can give you advice and recommendations that will be helpful in preventing this from happening in the future.

Besides analysing fraudulent orders when they come in, it is also important that you note things like making sure your contact information is easy to find on your store, always be sure to respond to customer queries as soon as you can and keep them updated on your order processing.
A more detailed description of this can be found in our help doc on Preventing Chargebacks.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this, and I will be happy to help you out.

Thanks! -Lana

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Rosa4eva
Tourist
7 0 2

Thank you so much for your help. 

dylanpierce
Shopify Partner
210 3 94

This is an accepted solution.

If you'd like to save the order, but still be certain the card isn't stolen - consider using an ID check with our app Real ID.

You can automatically and securely capture your customer's ID document like passport, drivers license or national ID card and we'll automatically compare it against the billing information.

Link to the app in my signature. First 10 checks are free.

Founder of Real ID - Verify your customer's real IDs easily & securely with modern A.I.

Want to see it in action? Check out our demo store.

Rosa4eva
Tourist
7 0 2

Thank You