Why is my customer seeing an extra charge on their order?

StyledByLex
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello Shopify Team!

A customer of mine recently ordered one of my products, however, she emailed me with a major concern. For some reason, she was charged an extra 72 dollars than what the total came out to be. However, when I look on my end, it says she was charged the correct amount. I asked her to send a screenshot of the transaction as it shows up on her statements and she did. I would like to know why was she charged so she can get refunded the correct amount. Please get back to me as soon as possible. Thankyou!

Reply 1 (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@StyledByLex 

I can understand why that would be concerning. The order wouldn't have overcharged your customer so there may be a few things we'll need to confirm first. 

1. Is the customer seeing more than one charge? Or is it one charge that is more than the expected amount? - If it's more than one charge, then they are likely seeing an authorization and a charge. Authorizations will fall off within 2-5 business days as per their banks' processing times. 

2. Are they using a credit card where the currency isn't the same as your stores' currency? For example, they may be purchasing from Canada, but your store is set in USD which could account for the difference in the cost. 

Would you mind sharing the screenshot your customer provided? 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog