Customize or Edit Store Name on Shipping Labels

chris-nb
2 0 0

One of our clients has the word 'diamond' in their store name and would prefer to abbreviate it to 'D' on the shipping label return address.  I'm told packages with the world 'diamond' or 'jewelry' on it are more often stolen in transit.

Does anyone know if Shopify has a workaround for this or recommend an app?  I'd prefer to use as few apps as possible because we're otherwise pleased with the built in shipping process and also don't want to add additional app fees.

One solution I am considering is changing the store name to reflect their request, though I'm trying to think through where all the store name would appear.  Logos will be in place on the checkout, header, email templates, and pos receipts, so it wouldn't show up in those places.  I suppose I'd have to scan all the email template body text to adjust the {{ storename }} to the correct store name.

Anyone have any solution or any thoughts on this?

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1324 127 198

Hey, @chris-nb.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

There isn't a workaround to change the business name on the shipping labels, as this field is automatically pulled from the General settings of the store. However, changing the store name and removing the variables from your theme's code and notification templates can be a solution. In addition to scanning the notification templates and removing the variables, the business name also appears in the footer of your theme and on certain pages (eg. contact form). 

If you're using a Shopify-supported theme, then removing the variables from your theme's code is something that our Theme Support team can assist you with. If your store is subscribed to a plan, then you're eligible to use the complimentary design time included with your subscription on this customization. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. To get a customization request started, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

If you're using a third-party theme, then I'd recommend reaching out to the theme developer for assistance with removing the store name from the theme's code. However, if you'd like to try a different app, then I'd recommend taking a look at Shippo. Based on the screenshots in the app's gallery, it looks like Shippo offers a separate section for your business information through their app. Also, if you need any assistance with third-party apps, the developers are always available to assist you. To get in touch with an app developer, you can reach out directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

Does your client have stolen packages reported often? Also, do they offer added insurance or signature upon delivery?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Armature
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Elias,

We are having the same issue as @chris-nb. It's hard to overstate how big of a problem this is. We're wondering if we may have to move our brand off Shopify if we can't find a solution to this problem. For a variety of sensitive packages, it's critically important to be able to specify what name appears on the return label of packages. It's kind of mind-boggling to us that this isn't possible within Shopify.

If I'm understanding correctly, you suggested a workaround where we put the desired return label pseudonym as the "Store name" in preferences, and then manually edit all other places in the theme code where "Store name" is used, to hardcode in the normal name of the store. Is that right? We took a quick look through the theme code and the store name variable seems to appear in many different places, so this seems daunting and likely to result in weird bugs. Do you know of a store that's successfully pulled off this workaround? I'm curious how feasible it would be.

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1324 127 198

Hi, @Armature.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I can't say how feasible it is to hard code the store name to your theme's coding, as this can vary for different businesses. However, I have seen stores hard code their store names as well as purchase shipping labels directly through the carriers to accomplish this. 

As previously suggested, our Theme Support team can assist you with hard coding your store name if you're using a Shopify-supported theme. However, if you're using a third-party theme, then I'd recommend reaching out to the theme developer to see if they offer customization support. If the developer doesn't offer customization support, then you can also consider hiring a developer to assist you with this. If you need help finding a developer, you can look for one on Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts is our directory of certified developers that have experience working with third-party themes, and they'll be able to create a solution for your theme.

So that you can have more control over the information on your shipping labels, have you considered purchasing shipping labels directly from the carriers?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Nous333
Excursionist
45 0 8

Classic Shopify.... literally EVERYONE paying in monthly is having the same problem and Shopify, instead of implementing a solution like making shipping labels customizable from the admin, they pay employees to monitor a help forum and suggest ridiculous work arounds that waste even more time and money than Shopify wastes avoiding issues that they should be fixing and eventually will be forced to fix anyways.  

How stupid.  Does Shopify not realize the shipping label is one of the most commonly customized elements of an ecommerce brands business.  Many businesses have important messages for shipping couriers that must be displayed on the shipping label, many businesses have situations like we see here where their name must be edited in some way, plenty of other reasons why this is an important feature to make available to anyone paying money for their business to run smoothly each month.  

Get it together Shopify.  

0 Likes