Customize or Edit Store Name on Shipping Labels

chris-a-io
Shopify Partner
11 0 4

One of our clients has the word 'diamond' in their store name and would prefer to abbreviate it to 'D' on the shipping label return address.  I'm told packages with the world 'diamond' or 'jewelry' on it are more often stolen in transit.

Does anyone know if Shopify has a workaround for this or recommend an app?  I'd prefer to use as few apps as possible because we're otherwise pleased with the built in shipping process and also don't want to add additional app fees.

One solution I am considering is changing the store name to reflect their request, though I'm trying to think through where all the store name would appear.  Logos will be in place on the checkout, header, email templates, and pos receipts, so it wouldn't show up in those places.  I suppose I'd have to scan all the email template body text to adjust the {{ storename }} to the correct store name.

Anyone have any solution or any thoughts on this?

Replies 21 (21)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @chris-a-io.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

There isn't a workaround to change the business name on the shipping labels, as this field is automatically pulled from the General settings of the store. However, changing the store name and removing the variables from your theme's code and notification templates can be a solution. In addition to scanning the notification templates and removing the variables, the business name also appears in the footer of your theme and on certain pages (eg. contact form). 

If you're using a Shopify-supported theme, then removing the variables from your theme's code is something that our Theme Support team can assist you with. If your store is subscribed to a plan, then you're eligible to use the complimentary design time included with your subscription on this customization. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. To get a customization request started, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account.

If you're using a third-party theme, then I'd recommend reaching out to the theme developer for assistance with removing the store name from the theme's code. However, if you'd like to try a different app, then I'd recommend taking a look at Shippo. Based on the screenshots in the app's gallery, it looks like Shippo offers a separate section for your business information through their app. Also, if you need any assistance with third-party apps, the developers are always available to assist you. To get in touch with an app developer, you can reach out directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

Does your client have stolen packages reported often? Also, do they offer added insurance or signature upon delivery?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Armature
Tourist
10 0 16

Hi Elias,

We are having the same issue as @chris-nb. It's hard to overstate how big of a problem this is. We're wondering if we may have to move our brand off Shopify if we can't find a solution to this problem. For a variety of sensitive packages, it's critically important to be able to specify what name appears on the return label of packages. It's kind of mind-boggling to us that this isn't possible within Shopify.

If I'm understanding correctly, you suggested a workaround where we put the desired return label pseudonym as the "Store name" in preferences, and then manually edit all other places in the theme code where "Store name" is used, to hardcode in the normal name of the store. Is that right? We took a quick look through the theme code and the store name variable seems to appear in many different places, so this seems daunting and likely to result in weird bugs. Do you know of a store that's successfully pulled off this workaround? I'm curious how feasible it would be.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @Armature.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I can't say how feasible it is to hard code the store name to your theme's coding, as this can vary for different businesses. However, I have seen stores hard code their store names as well as purchase shipping labels directly through the carriers to accomplish this. 

As previously suggested, our Theme Support team can assist you with hard coding your store name if you're using a Shopify-supported theme. However, if you're using a third-party theme, then I'd recommend reaching out to the theme developer to see if they offer customization support. If the developer doesn't offer customization support, then you can also consider hiring a developer to assist you with this. If you need help finding a developer, you can look for one on Shopify Experts. Shopify Experts is our directory of certified developers that have experience working with third-party themes, and they'll be able to create a solution for your theme.

So that you can have more control over the information on your shipping labels, have you considered purchasing shipping labels directly from the carriers?

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

Classic Shopify.... literally EVERYONE paying in monthly is having the same problem and Shopify, instead of implementing a solution like making shipping labels customizable from the admin, they pay employees to monitor a help forum and suggest ridiculous work arounds that waste even more time and money than Shopify wastes avoiding issues that they should be fixing and eventually will be forced to fix anyways.  

How stupid.  Does Shopify not realize the shipping label is one of the most commonly customized elements of an ecommerce brands business.  Many businesses have important messages for shipping couriers that must be displayed on the shipping label, many businesses have situations like we see here where their name must be edited in some way, plenty of other reasons why this is an important feature to make available to anyone paying money for their business to run smoothly each month.  

Get it together Shopify.  

NTB53
Visitor
1 0 1

I have come across this issue in the threads numerous times with the same complaint from many shopify stores going back quite a few years now. I can not believe this still has not been resolved. Shopify support - Elias, has conveniently left the thread. 

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Greetings, @NTB53.

Thank you for joining the thread.

We understand how important this is to you and we'd be happy to pass your feedback/suggestion to our development team. While you can edit the business name and address through the Shopify settings, as the carriers do allow us to edit these elements. However, it's worth noting that the shipping labels are managed by the carriers and they do not allow us to edit the other elements/requests in this thread (eg. logo, removing address, etc.) at the moment. If editing these elements is a must, then we'd recommend reaching out to the carriers directly to see if that's an available option for your business. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let us know!

Nous333
Explorer
70 1 25

There is a half inch space across the entire bottom of the label where Shopify has put their little plug.  This could easily be space used for the store owners needs.  And I'm willing to bet those who pay more each month get the ability to change this.  Pretty sad how shitty Shopify treats people who are paying them monthly. 

Armature
Tourist
10 0 16

@Elias While lots of customization would be nice, 99% of the problem would be solved by being able to control just the store name and address on the return shipping labels. I am astonished that Shopify doesn't understand the importance of this.

There are many different use cases for this functionality, but just to give one, many stores and products are of a sensitive nature, and customers may not want their family/roommates/neighbors/etc. to be able to read the source of the package on the return label. In some circumstances it can even be dangerous for someone to receive a package and have the source be revealed through the shipping label.

Shopify's failure to address this is a failure to take its customers' security and privacy seriously.

luciotti
Excursionist
23 0 15

@Elias I'm still not clear if this is something we can fix on our end by editing liquid files. I'm fine with editing liquid files, I've done it a few times, I just can't find any liquid file that is pertinent to shipping. I also have been looking for a solution to this for years, I can't believe it is still not fixed. If I change my business name in the Settings section, it changes the name of the business on my Home page. This is a basic need of e-commerce businesses, especially nowadays that packages get stolen all the time. Is there an easy workaround yet?

CoughlinJeweler
Visitor
1 0 3

We are having the same problem. Our store name is "Coughlin Jewelers" and you do NOT want that on a package going out. I've been using a sharpie on every label, which does not look very professional for a fine jewelry store. This needs to be addressed. 

chris-a-io
Shopify Partner
11 0 4
We actually got around it by changing the store name in Shopify (which is
essentially only seen by us and the shipping label), but then we put the
*actual* store name in places in the code and notifications where it would
otherwise automatically pull that substitute store name in. This should
definitely be addressed in the admin with a less MacGuyver'd way, though.
Armature
Tourist
10 0 16

Interesting. Does the name in the customized code affect what shows up in Google searches? That's the biggest problem we've found where changing the store name has a bad effect on branding and SEO.

jeferry
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

We've done this as well (use the store name in settings only for shipping labels), however, rss-driven blog posts are still getting indexed with the wrong store name and the Shop app still seem to be picking up the store name in settings as well, and there doesn't seem to be a workaround.  Has anybody dug deeper into this solution path and might be able to suggest a solution?  

empressofdoom
Tourist
4 0 3

The changing the store name worked! Yay!

HopeH
Visitor
1 0 2

Can't believe this is an issue Shopify has not yet corrected. Shouldn't be this difficult to edit the store name from the shipping label. It is very simple to do in ShipStation.

MeganGarner
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi, My shipping labels are just saying Shipper. I've tried changing my store name and it stays the same? Can anyone help please? Thanks x

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @MeganGarner.

Thank you for joining this thread and bringing this to our attention.

You can change the name on the shipping labels by changing your online store name and/or legal business name, and you can also change the return address by managing your locations. However, it sounds like you might be using a third-party fulfillment, as our shipping labels defaults to your store name as opposed to "Shipper." 

If you're using a third-party fulfillment, then you'll need to double-check the app settings to change the shipper's name. However, if you're unable to find such a setting, then I'd also recommend contacting the app developer to see if they can further assist you. You can reach out directly to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

If you're purchasing shipping labels from Shopify, then the business name under your store's General settings is what should appear for the sender's name. Nevertheless, if this isn't working for you, then it looks like we'll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Just to confirm, are you using a third-party fulfillment? Or, are you purchasing Shopify Shipping labels and fulfilling the orders yourself?

Armature
Tourist
10 0 16

Hi @Elias. Thanks for replying on this thread. I can confirm that the solution you mentioned is not working for us. We'd appreciate help resolving it. We have not found a way to set both the desired store name (for Google, etc.) and the desired shipping label name (for privacy and security reasons).

We've tried using live chat and email, and haven't been able to get a resolution. Can you connect us with someone who can help?

Thanks.

HennyLoc
Tourist
3 0 4

It would be beneficial if Shopify allowed clients to change the ship from name instead of imposing a weird restriction on already validated clients. This would promote privacy and prevent liability issues when using Shopify's shipping services.

Shopify, please add the ability to change the "ship from name" to something other than the domain. By doing so, you will benefit your clients and yourselves by generating more revenue in shipping insurance and postage sales. Shopify 
is probably losing millions of dollars in terms of shipping insurance and postage affiliate revenue. 

sphilpotts
Visitor
1 0 0

All you need to do is change the store name temporarily to what ever name you want to reflect on the labels then change it back after completion 

Vantagepro
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

The only workaround here is to change the Shopify Company name to a shortern version of the company name without "diamond or Jewelry"  , print the labels and revert back to the original full store name.  Its abit of pain but safer to ship!