Different Payment Method for Different Customers Based on Geolocation

alfonsusdavid
Visitor
1 0 3

Hello,

My customer wants his website to have different payment method between local customer and customer from abroad. For example:

1. National customer = use local payment gateway (checkout page will hide international payment gateway)
  2. International customer = use international payment gateway (checkout page will hide local payment gateway)

Is that possible to do this?

Replies 29 (29)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @alfonsusdavid,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a really good question and idea, but it's something which isn't possible. As it stands, it's only possible to enable one active payment gateway per store, as well as PayPal in countries where PayPal is available. Which country is your customer's store based in and I can share the payment gateways Shopify is partnered with there. 

I completely see where you are coming from though and will put this forward as a feature request on your behalf. Can you reply to me here and explain how this would benefit your customer's business or make things easier for them? Any and all information you can give on how this would improve their store/ business assists the development team with feature requests. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

MWD
Visitor
1 0 2

We really also would love to have this for our store as well. We would love to offer paypal for our United States customers, but we don't want to offer Paypal to our worldwide customers. Would it be possible to do this? Maybe we can have 2 different product pages and 1 with regular shopify system and 1 with customized checkout where it hides paypal? Any help in this manner would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @MWD,

Great questions! Can I ask why you don't want to offer PayPal to countries which aren't the US? I started to think and thought a lock style app which allows you to restrict certain products or pages from certain people such as countries or members etc could work, but then realized it might not be so simple or possible to restrict the payment gateways for these specific pages. You can see the lock apps in the app store here

By understanding more about why you don't want non-US customers using PayPal it could help find a workaround for you. 

NesmaMahmoud
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

We have the same situation on our side. We have a registered store in the UK and another one in Germany. Both entities are being served from the same store on Shopify using similar products. However, we would like to capture payments for products bought in Germany with separate PayPal and bank accounts from the one we have in the UK. Do you think this is possible without the need to create duplicated stores?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @NesmaMahmoud,

To use multiple accounts (PayPal and bank) in different countries, you will still need to have duplicate stores. Currently, any one store can have one primary bank account and one third party account (e.g. PayPal) at any one time. 

alexa_a
Visitor
1 0 0

@Nick To my understanding there is no feature yet developed on the Shopify side that would allow to provide local customers based on the location with COD payment method and rest of the world SP or any other payment provider. 

We used to have store in e_c_w_i_d and there was an easy filter <if/else> 

- if customer in 'shipping_zone' = A show following payment methods :'A, B,C'

-else show following payment methods

Is there a plan to roll out such a feature in Shopify?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @alexa_a,

That's correct. Currently, COD would be available for all your customers or none at all. I see how having it split up could be of benefit to you too though. 

I'll make a feature request to our development team on your behalf for this! Also, changelog is where you'll find any new product releases or updates! 

CodeComedian
40 0 1

In 2024, this is absolutely possible. For setting up different payment methods for local and international customers on Shopify, a custom solution like the KlinKode PayRules app could help. It allows you to customize payment options based on conditions such as customer location.

Find it here: https://apps.shopify.com/klinkode-payrules

And this video guide could show you how to set it up:

- Control payment methods visibility at checkout by KlinKode PayRules app.
- You can join in our Facebook group for Shopify help.
josephcura
Visitor
1 0 3

Hey Nick,
I am having the same issue with my company where we sell Direct to Consumer globally but we have 2 entities that will be charging and billing clients depending on their shipping address.
This company structure needs to be supported for tax and regulation purposes.
Furthermore, we have a Loyalty & Referral program that has no borders.

The issue: Let's take the UK and the US as an example, In the US I use ShopPay, AfterPay, and Paypal (as a US account). But in the UK I have Stripe and PayPal (as a UK account)
I need to create an expansion store and duplicate everything including blog posts and have a subdomain, not to mention the referral program won't work cross border, and one of the stores needs to be NON Indexed for SEO purposes as well.

This solution is not great and involves a lot of extra work to be done to maintain 2 separate but exactly the same site.

If we choose the redirect option for ONLY the shop and checkout, the side cart won't work and the header and footer will have a mess of links with redirects.

On WooCommerce we had a simple JS script that ran on the checkout to present the correct gateways and bill from the entity in that jurisdiction, all the customers will be in the same backend, with one set of third-party apps like loyalty and more.

Please develop a good solution for Shopify customers to enable these global company structures and do what you do best (Sell)
I will gladly talk to any solution expert to help with this

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @josephcura,

I can definitely see the pain of having to run multiple stores. Are you using Shopify Payments (SP) as your payment gateway? SP is available in both the US and the UK. 

I'm wondering if the Geolocation app could help you out here. To use the Geolocation app, you must sell in multiple languages and/or in multiple currencies. The Geolocation app offers recommendations only for the languages and/or currencies that you have enabled. You can read more about it here and here. I'm also wondering if the locations feature could be of use to you too! Could any of the above features make the process easier for you do you think? 

SHISHA
Tourist
5 0 4

Any solution here? Suppose you expand to all 4 countries, each with 2 country specific payment methods; that would lead us to a list of 8 payment methods, only 2 out of which working in particular countries - a mess and a conversion killer!

JoelNZ
Excursionist
14 0 13

No, geolocation app only presents a price in the customers local currency, it has no effect on the payment gateways.

tina_thelabgirl
Visitor
1 0 2

Hey ! 

We are having the exact same problem. I have a company that sells in the USA and in COLOMBIA. We are legally registered on both countries and we manage different inventories, bank account for each country. We need that the Colombian sales go to our Colombian bank and the USA sales go to our bank account in the USA. 

In USA we've been using Stripe and now for Colombia we want to use PAYU LATAM. So my question is: The only way to do that is building  2 exact websites and link them in a landing page? Or there is something we can do to only have one website with 2 payment methods (Stripe & Payu)?

Thank You!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @tina_thelabgirl,

Good question! 

In a case like this, you would need to have two separate storefronts. The reason for this is even if you could have two credit card processors active - there would be nothing to stop the different customers checking out on either gateway if they are both available on the checkout - meaning your US and Columbian sales wouldn’t be kept separate in any way. The other thing is only certain gateways are available in certain countries. So, for example, if you set up the store with a US Address - you couldn’t add gateways that are not available in the US then to keep them separate. 

ManuelL
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Nick, Tina´s question is valid and is necessary  for an e-commerce that operates in different regions or countries. so my questions are:

• Are there unified payment gateways between Colombia and the US?
  • I guess her idea, which is also my idea, is to setup multiple store URL domains and based on customer´s location, the store will translate to the configure language and show local currency, but can it use a different payment gateway also? this is the ideal situation and a needed feature when there are no unified payment gateways between the two target countries.
  • https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/domains/managing-domains/international-domains#:~:text=You%20can%....
ManuelL
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Tina, any luck configuring what yuu described here? did you manage to configure a unified payment gateway for both countries? if so, which one? or did you create another store in the other country?

Alixir
Excursionist
29 0 19

Hi @Nick 

I am also facing the same issue. 

I would like to make visible the "Cash On Delivery" payment method only for local (moroccan customers). And display Paypal for all others.

PS: Paypal is not very used in Morocco and we can handle COD only locally with a local delivery partner. If I display both of the methods, wherevever a client comes from, one of the two methods is useless (I'd rather say not applicable).

PS 2: the settings sould look like the settings of the shipping methods which are great. I'd be happy to participate in a beta test if Shopify is opened about it.

PS 3: since the payment gateways and possibilities for 'non OCDE' countries are limited, it is very important to be able making such settings so the checkout experience is optimized when selling internationnally.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Alixir,

Thanks for the feedback and in-depth example of this. I have added it to our feature request examples for our product team on your behalf. 

Andre_Borges
Excursionist
32 0 12

Same problem here! Hello Shopify? anybody home?

Sturm_und_Bräm
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

We have currently an issue concerning this:

In Switzerland a lot of customers are used to pay AFTER they have ordered somehting through an invoice sent to them via PDF. They get 30 days to pay their invoice. This is one reason why credit cards are not as popular here as in other countries. 

But this comes with a drawback: the system is based on trust, if someone doesn't pay, it becomes a hassle for the store owner to collect the payment. It's all protected by law, but is still annoying. 

In order to identify fraudulent misuse of the "invoice pay later" system, we would like to enabble this payment gateway only for approved customers. They might have to call in, and then we flag them as trustworthy. However, such a method cannot be implemented with the current setup of shopify. Are there plans to implement a method to enable payment methods depending on a customer state (tag or group)?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Sturm_und_Bräm,

Really great questions and interesting to learn about the different culture of payment in Switzerland! I'm thinking there are a couple of ways you could approach this, they might not be exactly how you said but could be in the right direction. Let's take a look at them below:

Lock Style app: The first way would be with a lock style app which would only let certain customers in to certain areas and let certain customers purchase from your store. The only drawback here would be how you determine and let into these sections of your store to purchase but there are a number of charachteristics the apps have which allow this. It could be worth looking through and researching them to see if one fits! You can see some of the lock style apps I like from the Shopify App store below.

The other way this might be possible is through another kind of app which is a pay later or in installments app. There are a few different apps for this with different features and similar to above, it could be worth looking through a few of them to see if they could work with what you're looking to do. You can see my favourite pay later apps below:

Do you think that either of these app methods could do what you're looking for? Let me know. 

Sturm_und_Bräm
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Hi @Nick 

Thanks a lot for the super reply. I think we will find something from the apps you mentioned to tackle our issue. Otherwise it's just a trust issue: does the store owner trust its customers, or not. It's a very well kept secret among Swiss Onlineshops how high the number of fraudulent customers actually is.

Regards

Bernhard

sarahrabat
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello @Alixir ,

J’ai cru comprendre que votre société est basée au Maroc. Actuellement à Rabat, je suis en train de créer ma boutique en ligne via Shopify, et cible une clientèle nationale et internationale.

J’ai pu voir que la devise principale de votre site est en U$D mais que vous proposez le COD pour les locaux. Svp j’aimerai savoir si en utilisant une app de géolocalisation et convertisseur de devises, les clients locaux peuvent effectuer un paiement en ligne avec carte bancaire marocaine non convertible ? Aussi, j’ai cru comprendre que 2checkout ne reconnaît pas le dirham marocain… Faut il passer par Payzone ou le CMI ? 

Je vous remercie par avance,

SH 

Alixir
Excursionist
29 0 19

Bonjour @sarahrabat 

Pour payer via carte bancaire marocaine au Maroc, il faut obligatoirement passer par le CMI.

Maintenant si vous choisissez une app de géolocalisation et convertisseur de devises, ça va marcher mais au moment du checkout le prix s'affichera en MAD. Donc un français va naviguer sur votre site et va voir le prix en €, il va ajouter des articles dans le panier en € MAIS au moment de passer au checkout, il verra le prix en MAD. C'est l'une des grosses limites de shopify pour des pays comme le Maroc: il ne permet pas le checkout en devise du client mais uniquement dans la devise de la boutique.

Pour notre boutique, c'est le contraire: tout le monde voit le prix dans sa devise locale mais le prix affiché au checkout est en $. C'est un choix à faire en fonction de la cible...est ce que ce sont les marocains ou les étrangers.

Bien à toi,

Jaouad

KMO_PressStart
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Here, too.

Would like to offer COD to local customers/local delivery. Offering COD to other regions of the country (Philippines) creates a lot of problems, when customers refuse to pay for their order when the package arrives. 

Looking forward to a solution that addresses this.

Shopify Partner in the Philippines
AminaTahir
Visitor
1 0 0

Any update on this Nick? We're facing a similar problem. Shopify Payments isn't available in our country and Shopify doesn't allow us to set up different payment options based on different locations. 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @AminaTahir,

There's still no update on this feature request. Please keep an eye on the Shopify Changelog here as any updates such as this will appear there. 

JoelNZ
Excursionist
14 0 13

this is an awesome idea. the problem we all face selling international is the enforcement of local gst. so having different gateways for different regions allows us to separate the foreign sales out into other bank accounts and remit the required gst to the country of sale.

This is important and shopify needs to get on top of it as it severely restricts shopify's utility when selling outside one's home country.

Cheers

Joel

Zeeshansangani
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi I think this will help you

https://apps.shopify.com/unum-pay