Solved

Different rates for different products

olaf617
Excursionist
23 0 8

I am selling vintage items in my shop, some of which are books.  I have added "media mail" as a shipping option in my settings, but it appears as an option for every item.  A customer just bought a non-book using the media mail option.

I read that I might be able to make different shipping profiles for different products, but I would have to activate multi-origin shipping and that once activated, it cannot be de-activated. 

So, WOULD multi-origin shipping allow me to add just medial mail and first class mail to my books and allow first class and priority for the non-books?  And are there any drawbacks that I'll face if I do activate multi-origin shipping even though I only have one origin?

Thank you,

Dave

CoxRetros

Accepted Solution (1)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @olaf617,

Hyde here from Shopify.

You're absolutely right that for businesses with a simple shipping setup, creating general shipping rates is often sufficient, but for businesses that manage products and locations that have different shipping costs and regional availability, additional shipping profiles help keep shipping costs accurate and easily managed:

21-05-n9cy1-8odwj

So you could create a shipping profile for a particular shipping rate for particular products, and here's how you would do that:

21-05-xtomb-qdma7

When you talk about multi-origin, I believe you are referring to the locations feature in Shopify. By default, when you create a new shipping profile, all your locations that can fulfill orders online are added to the profile in the same group. Any locations that can fulfill online orders become possible fulfillment locations for the products in your profile and all share the same rates and zones. Locations that don’t fulfill online orders do not appear in your shipping profiles.

So unless you intend to ship from different origins/locations yourself, this feature should not concern you too much. You can continue to fulfill your orders online knowing that your shipping profiles will be shipping from your usual shipping origin address.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about this or anything else please let me know!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @olaf617,

Hyde here from Shopify.

You're absolutely right that for businesses with a simple shipping setup, creating general shipping rates is often sufficient, but for businesses that manage products and locations that have different shipping costs and regional availability, additional shipping profiles help keep shipping costs accurate and easily managed:

21-05-n9cy1-8odwj

So you could create a shipping profile for a particular shipping rate for particular products, and here's how you would do that:

21-05-xtomb-qdma7

When you talk about multi-origin, I believe you are referring to the locations feature in Shopify. By default, when you create a new shipping profile, all your locations that can fulfill orders online are added to the profile in the same group. Any locations that can fulfill online orders become possible fulfillment locations for the products in your profile and all share the same rates and zones. Locations that don’t fulfill online orders do not appear in your shipping profiles.

So unless you intend to ship from different origins/locations yourself, this feature should not concern you too much. You can continue to fulfill your orders online knowing that your shipping profiles will be shipping from your usual shipping origin address.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about this or anything else please let me know!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

olaf617
Excursionist
23 0 8

Hi, Hyde,

I was FINALLY able to sit down and my desk and work on this today!  I appreciate the response and I was able to change those settings so that my books are "media mail" and that "media mail" won't show as an option for the other items.  You solved it!  Thank you!

Dave