Disable shipping charge for 2nd location

Solved
modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

Hi there

i have inventory in two locations, and I like that Shopify is able to tell me what items in an order are from what warehouse of mine.

However, I don’t want my customers to be paid twice if an order requires two deliveries.

I feel like this is a recent change, as I’ve been running my business for almost 3 years and have never had this problem. I’ve always had the two locations but my shipping fee would never double up for customers.

im looking for a way to disable the second delivery charge that is added when an order contains items from two warehouses. 

im not after a workaround that involves me adding fake inventory numbers to one warehouse, etc. I just want to disable the additional charge.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

This is an accepted solution.

Here's the solution I've found is working for me, as close as I'd like it to. I've also had this confirmed with Shopify Help, who have acknowledged confusion surrounding this issue.

When you have multiple inventory locations there are many aspects that have to be enabled for this to work and allow customers to still purchase from both without being double charged.

• First of all the products need to be available at both locations (Inventory count looks to be irrelevant as Shopify assumes the merchant will transfer stock)
  • Secondly that location needs to be checked to fulfill online orders (Settings > Locations)

My takeaways:

• Enabling shipping from multiple inventory locations enables Double-Charging.
  • Leaving one inventory location as a shipping location eliminates this.
  • This does not impact customers ability to purchase any particular stock.
  • Customers can purchase items from any inventory location. They will only be charged once though.
    It's almost as if Shopify assumes that the merchant will move inventory between locations as they need - that's fine with me!
  • Inventory purchased by customers will be deducted from the inventory location that is enabled as a Shipping Location.

So far this feels like an acceptable workaround. I wish there was an official guide from Shopify on all this, particularly targeting those in my situation.

View solution in original post

Replies 21 (21)
modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

Just thought I'd add some info.

If I remove one of my inventory locations from the Shipping Profile, I think this solves the problem (as far as not double-charging customers). However, it's so unclear as to whether this limits what products are able to be ordered by my customers.

I want customers to be able to order stock regardless of where it comes from, I just don't want them to be charged twice.
However I DO want my order page to show me what items in a customers' order are located in what warehouse.

I suppose I will monitor this and see how customers fare with it.

_fenixcommerce
Tourist
8 0 3

@modestmounts I think if you remove the inventory from the 2nd location and don't enable the "allow to buy out of stock options flag" then customers won't be able to add the item to the cart. If you check that flag then you don't have the option to limit it to just in-stock item. This multi-shipping feature from shopify is not properly thought through and is creating several problems. 

modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

This is an accepted solution.

Here's the solution I've found is working for me, as close as I'd like it to. I've also had this confirmed with Shopify Help, who have acknowledged confusion surrounding this issue.

When you have multiple inventory locations there are many aspects that have to be enabled for this to work and allow customers to still purchase from both without being double charged.

• First of all the products need to be available at both locations (Inventory count looks to be irrelevant as Shopify assumes the merchant will transfer stock)
  • Secondly that location needs to be checked to fulfill online orders (Settings > Locations)

My takeaways:

• Enabling shipping from multiple inventory locations enables Double-Charging.
  • Leaving one inventory location as a shipping location eliminates this.
  • This does not impact customers ability to purchase any particular stock.
  • Customers can purchase items from any inventory location. They will only be charged once though.
    It's almost as if Shopify assumes that the merchant will move inventory between locations as they need - that's fine with me!
  • Inventory purchased by customers will be deducted from the inventory location that is enabled as a Shipping Location.

So far this feels like an acceptable workaround. I wish there was an official guide from Shopify on all this, particularly targeting those in my situation.

_fenixcommerce
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks @modestmounts! Does it mean that you're duplicating your inventory at both the location and the inventory in Shopify is not reflecting the true picture?

modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

Hi there,

Thankfully No. No duplicating necessary.
I have two inventory locations, and both have their own inventory numbers.
I just have one location enabled as a shipping location.

I have automated feeds updating my inventory levels, thus correcting any discrepancies for me too.

The only downside of this solution is when an order comes through, Shopify does not inform me on the order page which items need to be fulfilled from what inventory location. It will simply say all items should be shipped from the shipping location that is enabled.

Upside, customers aren't double charged.

_fenixcommerce
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks buddy! I got it working, basically I assigned our sku/variant to all 3 warehouses without touch actual inventory figures at each location and then just activated a single location for shipping. It's working beautifully now. Our app on the checkout updates the actual warehouse and rest of the carrier service details so we're all set. Thanks for pointing in the right direction.  

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 6.50.38 PM.png

modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

No worries. I'm so glad this was able to help someone.

modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

Just thought I'd chime in again to say I've encountered another issue with this, unfortunately...

Customers with large carts are getting a "We do not ship to this destination." error, unless both shipping locations are enabled.
Once enabled, the error disappears, however they are charged twice again.

😕

Contacting support.

_fenixcommerce
Tourist
8 0 3

@modestmounts what's your store url? can you share the conditions when it fails and I'll test the similar use cases in our stores as well

modestmounts
Excursionist
12 1 11

I am still trying to determine the conditions that caused the error, but I can't pinpoint it. I am trying to simulate the error in replicatable scenarios but I think I need more time.

Despite not having weight-based shipping rules, I wondered if total order weight was playing a part or not. I've heard there are bugs with weight-based shipping rules.

Also, been reading this thread too. Same issue as ours but more involvement from others: https://community.shopify.com/c/Payments-Shipping-Fulfillment/How-to-disable-Combined-shipping-rate-...

lucasrantzau
2 0 0

@modestmounts did you ever figure out what caused this problem and a possible solution? Do you still only have one location as shipping location or have you gone with another solution?

Oma
Tourist
15 0 2

I have the same problem...

I have even tried to create a custom shipping profile with the products and one zone... no luck.

I have always the two problems: the customer is charged double or my cart gives me an error . I don't know what to do..

Oma
Tourist
15 0 2
AndyDetroit
2 0 1

Hi guys! Were you able to sort this out? I'm having this problem on my site and am extremely frustrated by it. We own two stores that are side-by-side, as well as a nearby but off-site warehouse, so we want to track the inventory in each location, but don't want to charge customers multiple times for shipping—we'll pull the goods and ship them from one location. I've tried getting help from Shopify and my POS that feeds inventory into Shopify and neither was able to help. This workaround you figured out looked promising, but it seemed like it ultimately failed? 

Oma
Tourist
15 0 2
Yes, it can be very frustrating...I just divided the shipping ( Created
Profile Shippings) among my locations and reduced them...so it is not
expensive if the client buys from different locations.. 😞
davie-robertson
Tourist
7 0 1

"First of all the products need to be available at both locations (Inventory count looks to be irrelevant as Shopify assumes the merchant will transfer stock)"

In my UI available means stock level - in this instance my default shipping location is 854261 but there's no stock 'available'; do you mean is has to be assigned to that location even if the inventory level is zero.

davie-robertson_0-1620826613261.png

MADELB
1 0 1

I have another problem with this solution.

It works great if I am only shipping items, but most of my business's orders are for local delivery and pick-up.

I am about to have three businesses that are all literally housed in the same building - online retail store (currently operating), coffee house (opening soon), and bar (reopening soon). I need to keep them as separate locations because of analytics and reports for the sake of bookkeeping, but I want customers to be able to visit one website for all three. (FYI our state now allows to-go and delivery for alcohol but shipping with the necessary liability precautions is prohibitively expensive)

I want it to be possible for a customer to order a cup of coffee, a bottle of wine, and t-shirt (with each with inventory in a different location according to shopify) all for pick-up.
I've found that customer's receive an error message if I activate pick-up and local delivery and they have items in their cart where the inventory is assigned to different locations (even if items are available from both).
Anyone experienced something similar and found a work around?

atroya
Tourist
35 0 1

Hey! 

I'd suggest looking into these videos that could assist with your issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTw_yLIbXdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzNktaZ3zI&feature=emb_rel_end

Let me know if you need more help. Have you thought about looking into softwares like Fenix Commerce that provide AI-Shipping & Delivery!

Bandsome
Tourist
5 0 3

The problem with this though is that the items ordered don't tell you which location they are located in. If you have 2 locations but only have 1 location with shipping rates, the order will by default say that all items are in the one location that has shipping rates setup. This is useless. The point of having locations is so users know where their stock is located.