Disabling the option to choose shipping rate (automatic shipping rate)

SSJKaito
Tourist
10 0 0

Hello there!

I hope I can describe my problem:

My goal: I offer free shipping above 50 EUR and I want this rate to be set automatically when the customer cart is above 50 EUR. 

What I did: I've set two different rates for a shipping profile (e.g. "Hoodies"). One is "Standard 4,99 EUR" and the other is "Free shipping when > 50 EUR".

The problem: The customer can choose between these two and I don't want that.

The supposedly solution here would be to create new profiles for items above 50 EUR and set a free shipping rate for these profiles.
But I'd face a problem again if I want to set my shop into sale like 20 % off.

If a hoodie is priced 60 EUR for example, it would cost 48 EUR with a 20 % discount but the shipping rate won't change, thus, it would be free shipping disregarding the fact that it's only 48 EUR and not above 50.

So how do I set up a general shipping rate of "Free shipping above 50 EUR" which will set automatically when the customer reaches 50 EUR?

Thanks for your time and help!

Best
Dennis

Replies 3 (3)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @SSJKaito

To confirm, you'd like to offer free shipping for orders 50 EUR and up, and charge 4.99 EUR for orders that are less than 50 EUR, correct? If yes, and these shipping rates are to apply to all products, than you can do this without creating custom shipping profiles. Further, your customers will not have an option to choose between the two rates, as only one will apply, depending on the value of the order. 

To do this, you will need to create flat shipping rates, and add price-based conditions. Here is a screenshot from my test store (in CAD) showing what this would look like in your Shipping and Delivery settings:

20-10-88014-9945

These shipping rates are based on the condition of the total price of the order. To set this up, make sure all products are in your general profile, then you can either delete or edit your existing rates. When you add a new rate, or edit your existing rate, you'll need to click the Add conditions in order to add price-based conditions. For example, here is what the free shipping rate for orders over $50 should look like: 

20-17-72003-44089

Once this is setup, there will be no choice for the customer. If the order total is 50 EUR and up, the only shipping rate available will be free shipping. If the order total is 49.99 EUR or less, the only shipping rate available with be 4.99 EUR. 

Let me know how this goes, and if you have any questions. If you're getting stuck, screenshots of your shipping rates and profile are helpful for troubleshooting. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

SSJKaito
Tourist
10 0 0

Hey Hilary!

Thanks for your fast reply!

So in general I'd have to delete all of my shipping profiles and only edit the general profile. I got that so far.

But what if I want to use different "standard" rates? Like 4,99 and 2,99 EUR?

Would I have to add a variable like weight to my products?

Because the main problem is that I can't add products to the general shipping profile if they're already in other profiles.

Thanks a ton!

Best

Dennis

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

It's hard to say without understanding your full shipping strategy. Can I ask what you have different custom profiles for at this time? Do you need to charge different rates for different products?

It's possible to set up rules like the ones I outlined above in more than one shipping profile. This would be if different products need to have different shipping rates. My main point was that it's easier to keep all your products in one profile if all shipping rates are the same for all products. If not, then of course you will need to create more than one profile. In that case, note that if a customer orders products from two different shipping profiles, those shipping rates will be combined at checkout. There is more on this under Combined rates for products in our Help Center. 

You can also add more than one standard rate in each profile, such as €2.99 as another standard rate. My screenshot was just an example. You can setup as many different conditions and prices as you would like for each shipping zone. For example, you may charge:

• €4.99 for orders valued €0 - €24.99
  • €2.99 for orders valued €25.00 - €49.99
  • €0.00 (free) for orders valued €50.00 and up

Again, you can add as many conditions and rates as you would like to each shipping zone. 

As for using weight, it depends on how you want to charge for shipping. If you want to charge for shipping based on order value (total Euros), then weight won't be a necessary variable. If you want to charge for shipping based off of total order weight, then you'll need to enter product weights accurately on the product details page. 

You are correct that products can only belong to one shipping profile at a time. If you can give me a brief rundown of your shipping strategy, I'd be happy to make some recommendations for you!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.