Solved

Why isn't the discount code box showing in my Shopify checkout?

CFLHolly
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi, I have created a couple of discount codes for any product, any customer. If a customer is eligible I ask them to enter the code at checkout. However, there is no discount code box showing. The discounts are active and unrestricted. Please advise.

Accepted Solutions (2)
Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Holly,

That does seem very strange for sure! 

I had a look at your checkout and I will need to ask you further questions in order to investigate better:

• Did you install any checkout app that may cause an issue? 
  • Would you mind checking if the discount is Active? It may be scheduled for a future date so your customers won’t be able to use it.

From your Shopify Admin go into > Discounts > You will see the list of your discounts and the related status besides the Discount Code.

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our support team here and someone from the team will look into this with you.

Sofia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - La mia risposta è stata utile? Metti Mi Piace per farmi sapere! 
 - Ho risposto alla tua domanda? Se si, Scegli Risposta accettata
 - Per saperne di più visita Shopify Help Center oppure Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

Hello @CFLHolly!

I am sure this issue needs to be solved soon.

If you had a conversation via chat with the support, then you should have received a ticket number with the chat transcript, with which you can follow up with the support. Have you received that ticket number? I would recommend checking all the folders of your email (promotions, spam, primary, etc.) looking for the keyword: “Shopify”.

Here, in the community, we are not able to access your internal admin. The reason why we do not share information is that we want to protect your private information.

Feel free to reach out to us again if you have any further questions or to contact the support via email.

View solution in original post

Replies 16 (16)

Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

Hey @CFLHolly

Sofia here from Shopify.

I understand that you have created discount codes for your customer, great job on this! It is a great marketing strategy for both attracting new customers and retaining old ones.

Would you mind specifying if you are using Shopify Checkout or a Third-Party one? The reason I am asking is because:

• If you are using a Shopify Checkout please bear in mind that the discount code field is intentionally disabled for checkouts originating from draft orders. Since draft orders are often discounted (wholesale, large orders, special circumstances, etc.) this prevents discount codes from inappropriately being added to already discounted orders.
  • Instead, if your checkout is not from Shopify to reach out to the third party who supports the checkout.

However, I'd be happy to test it out for you. Could you please share with me the link to your store and the discount code?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you, Sofia

CFLHolly
Tourist
3 0 2
Hi Sofia,

Thanks for getting back to me. I need the discounts to work for any of the
products but I sent instructions to the customer to follow the link and
enter the discount code in the box at checkout, but no box appears.

As an example I asked the most recent one to go to
https://cambridge-finance.myshopify.com/products/introduction-to-property-development-investment-in-...
and to enter code CFL10 at checkout to get a 10% discount.

Manythanks,

Holly
Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

Hey Holly,

That does seem very strange for sure! 

I had a look at your checkout and I will need to ask you further questions in order to investigate better:

• Did you install any checkout app that may cause an issue? 
  • Would you mind checking if the discount is Active? It may be scheduled for a future date so your customers won’t be able to use it.

From your Shopify Admin go into > Discounts > You will see the list of your discounts and the related status besides the Discount Code.

It looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our support team here and someone from the team will look into this with you.

Dangerfoxinc
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi, 

We are having the same issue. There is no discount code box showing up at anypoint in the checkout process. 

I checked to make sure we have active code and we do, but no place to put the codes at checkout. 

Please help. 

Thank you!

Aaron

Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

Hello @Dangerfoxinc,

Thank you for checking that the discount code is active. In this case, the issue could be related to one of the following scenarios:

• IF you use the Draft Orders, THEN the discount code field is intentionally disabled for checkouts originating from draft orders. Since draft orders are often discounted (wholesale, large orders, special circumstances etc.) this prevents discount codes from inappropriately being added to already discounted orders.
  • IF you use Third-party Apps, THEN it seems that using an app belonging to the group of the "Product Options", may cause this unusual behavior. As long as a discount is active, the discount field box would automatically show up on the checkout page. However, these apps create a separate draft order in the Shopify admin when additional options have been included. They then convert that draft order to a "real" order when the customer pays at checkout. This means that the order details seen at checkout come from a draft order and hence there is no discount field on the checkout page. In this case, you would need to decide whether to use either the third-party app functionality or Shopify's, but not both. If you want to use the app, it would be best to reach out to the developers to further assist you. 

Feel free to let me know if it works otherwise we will need to investigate that further.

Thank you, Sofia.

southernthreads
Tourist
3 0 1

Can shopify not disable the discount code in draft orders?

CBaugh
Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

Hi @southernthreads,

Thanks for reaching out! I can see you are wondering why discount code are disable in draft orders. 

The reason behind this feature is the one that I've shared before:

• IF you use the Draft Orders, THEN the discount code field is intentionally disabled for checkouts originating from draft orders. Since draft orders are often discounted (wholesale, large orders, special circumstances etc.) this prevents discount codes from inappropriately being added to already discounted orders.

However, you can create a draft order on behalf of your customer and apply a discount. More information can be found here: Create a draft order.

Apply a discount to an item

1. Open the order from the Drafts page in your Shopify admin.

2. In the Order details section, click price beside the item's name.

3. Set the discount as a currency amount, or a percentage of the listed price.

4. Optional: Enter a reason for the discount in the Reason text box.

5. Click Apply.

Apply a discount to the entire order

1. Open the order from the Orders page in your Shopify admin.

2. Click Add discount.

3. Set the discount as a currency amount, or a percentage of the total price. This discount is applied on top of any item-specific discounts.

4. Optional: Enter a reason for the discount in the Reason text box.

5. Click Apply.

Finally, I'd like to suggest you checking with your app developers as they can find for you a customized personalization or solution. 

CFLHolly
Tourist
3 0 2
Hi,

Do we have any progress on this matter?

I spoke to a chap on online chat and he said he would go away and
investigate and come back to me but I have customers waiting to pay! Please
advise.

Thanks
Sofia
Shopify Staff
960 387 203

Hello @CFLHolly!

I am sure this issue needs to be solved soon.

If you had a conversation via chat with the support, then you should have received a ticket number with the chat transcript, with which you can follow up with the support. Have you received that ticket number? I would recommend checking all the folders of your email (promotions, spam, primary, etc.) looking for the keyword: “Shopify”.

Here, in the community, we are not able to access your internal admin. The reason why we do not share information is that we want to protect your private information.

Feel free to reach out to us again if you have any further questions or to contact the support via email.

southernthreads
Tourist
3 0 1

This will not help Sofia, but maybe someone can help us?  We use SoldLIve and it creates draft orders when it sends the carts to FB messenger, when we do a live sale.  The discount codes are not working for us in this situation either.  How do we get this fixed?

CBaugh

SHHHH
4 0 0

i found the problem. Go to edit code and look for (cart-template.liquid) once you find it look for this code (my theme is debut so might be different for you) <ul class="order-discount order-discount--list order-discount--title order-discount--cart{% if item.line_level_discount_allocations == blank %} hide{% endif %}" aria-label="{{ 'customer.order.discount' | t }}" data-cart-item-discount-list>
{%- for discount_allocation in itemDiscounts -%}
<li class="order-discount__item" data-cart-item-discount>
{% include 'icon-saletag' %}
<span data-cart-item-discount-title>
{{- discount_allocation.discount_application.title -}}
</span> (-<span data-cart-item-discount-amount>{{ discount_allocation.amount | money }}</span>)
</li>
{%- endfor -%}
</ul>

put it below the <div data-cart-item-price> under the closed div (</div>)

KMH
Visitor
2 0 3

Hello, I am having this issue as well. The discount code is active, but unless a customer clicks "show order summary" at the checkout on a mobile device, they won't see the discount box to type in the active code. I'm sure this has stopped customers from checking out because they don't see the box to type in the code and therefore think the sale is not active. I am not a coder, and did not understand how to add the code above to the shop.

Dagarcia
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you get a solution to this? I am running into the same problem.

jatinhemnani01
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Hey I got the solution, after removing the Point Of Sale app which is installed by shopify by default the discount box is now showing up so try removing the Point Of Sale App

Ivieandalex
Visitor
1 0 0

I just uninstalled the Shopify POS app and that worked.  The discount box is now appearing at checkout on a mobile device.  I’m a little confused that this hasn’t been fixed yet.  So if I want to use discount codes, I can’t use the Shopify POS?

redbeau
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you! This has just resolved the issue for the desktop version, but unfortunately not on the app. I don't suppose you found a solution for that too?