Solved

Extra charges for external payment gateway

earthtoearth
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

We had setup our site on shopify (Earth to Earth). One of our customer who placed an order was charged extra when she chose the option "Cash on Delivery". We had not opted for any COD charges. The customer abandoned the order, because of the charge. We are located in UAE.

Please advise why the extra charge, and if there is an option to opt out if it.

Regards,

Aji George

Accepted Solution (1)
Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @earthtoearth 

Thanks for the screenshot. COD as a manual payment method would not add any extra charges during checkout, as it is only designed to be an alternative payment method that the customer can use. From what I can see, you haven't actually added COD as a manual payment method in your Settings > Payments section. I suspect this might be something to do with shipping rates or other third party apps/payment gateways. 

It is indeed odd that a customer would be seeing that option in the checkout if you did not set it up as an option. Do you have any apps installed that might explain the COD? Perhaps you have added something regarding COD in your shipping rates that would explain why the customer saw an increase of AED 15?

You could actually try to test this yourself - if you have the customers address, you can add some items to your cart, proceed to the checkout and see if you can identify where the charge is coming from based on their general delivery address. The abandoned cart page might also give an indication as to where the charge originated from.

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hi @earthtoearth 

That is an interesting one. Generally when you have enabled Cash on Delivery as a payment method on your store, customers would simply be able to pick this as a payment option for the total amount in the checkout, and so it wouldn't necessarily add any extra costs. A customer using a manual payment method sees the name of the payment method and the instructions to complete the payment on the order confirmation screen.

The shipping rates that you have setup on your store would be added to the total cost however - could this be the extra charge you are referring to?

Can you explain how you have implemented the COD payment method? Have you added it as a Manual Payment Method as explained in our Help Doc here, or are you using some sort of external/third party gateway integration? Also, if you are comfortable to share any screenshots of the setup it would be beneficial to get a better idea of what is happening.

Rick | Shopify 

earthtoearth
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick response.

We did not set up any option for COD. But the customer said that while checking out her order, there was an additional AED 15 charge; so she abandoned her order.

As requested, attached the screenshot of our payment page.

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @earthtoearth 

Thanks for the screenshot. COD as a manual payment method would not add any extra charges during checkout, as it is only designed to be an alternative payment method that the customer can use. From what I can see, you haven't actually added COD as a manual payment method in your Settings > Payments section. I suspect this might be something to do with shipping rates or other third party apps/payment gateways. 

It is indeed odd that a customer would be seeing that option in the checkout if you did not set it up as an option. Do you have any apps installed that might explain the COD? Perhaps you have added something regarding COD in your shipping rates that would explain why the customer saw an increase of AED 15?

You could actually try to test this yourself - if you have the customers address, you can add some items to your cart, proceed to the checkout and see if you can identify where the charge is coming from based on their general delivery address. The abandoned cart page might also give an indication as to where the charge originated from.

Rick | Shopify