Finding Incorrect Attempted Discount Codes

Leigh6
Tourist
8 1 4

Hi all

Does anyone know if there is a way to find the incorrect discount codes my customers may be entering?

I had an experience recently where a customer let us know by email she was having a problem entering the code. She provided the code and it was out by one digit. I provided her with the correct code and added this 'wrong' code in case anyone else did it. It was used 2 more times.

Out of interest more than anything else I would like to see what codes people are attempting to see if there are any other very similar codes that I can add to avoid abandoned checkouts.

Many thanks

Replies 5 (5)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 158

Hi, @Leigh6!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Checking discount codes that have been entered incorrectly is a great idea so you can make adjustments and avoid abandoned carts. It's interesting that multiple customers have experienced this issue. Are you using simple codes like "FREESHIPPING" or unique codes auto-generated for you? I recommend using easier codes so customers have less room for error.

At this stage, there is no way to view discount codes that have been entered incorrectly. In light of this, I will raise this as a feature request to our team on your behalf so we consider this for a future release. There are no guarantees, but it's a great idea that I'd love to pass on.

If you need a refresher on creating discount codes, you can check out our guide here: https://bit.ly/3ngeoml.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

kellyolivela
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there, just wondering if this feature was ever implemented? 

NewtoAllThis
Tourist
7 0 1

Me too.  I would like this feature.  When a customer complains a code doesn't work - its likely they entered it incorrectly.  And they never remember what they typed or tell you they typed it correctly (which they obviously didnt or it would have worked.) 

This can easily append to the Timeline when they hit enter and get the error message.

deepwebzia
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hey @Miles ,

I would also like this feature. So if customers enter wrong Discount code. Store owners get notified and display the other related discount code with the help of some checkout app extension. Let me know if we have event listener or webhook we can add there. 

Maz
Shopify Staff
1166 129 180

Hey, @deepwebzia!

Thanks for joining the discussion and letting us know you're interested in this feature.

While the feature @Leigh6  has mentioned is not yet available, I have also gone ahead and added your feedback along with the others, for our developers to review.

Thanks again!

Maz | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog