Free shipping checkout reminder

mirakimco
Tourist
8 1 0

Hi, I was wondering if it'd be possible to have something in the checkout where it would remind the customers how much more $ they would have to spend in order to get free shipping. For example, in the pictures I've attached, they'd be missing 0.10$ to get free shipping since we're within Canada. I'd like it to be possible for me, as a customer, to see that I'm only missing 0.10$ to get free shipping, thus encouraging me to get a little something more. Thanks in advance!

Information - Kim & Co. - Checkout - Google Chrome 2020-10-01 10_48_57 AM.pngInformation - Kim & Co. - Checkout - Google Chrome 2020-10-01 10_49_13 AM.png

0 Likes
pvoulg
Shopify Partner
175 26 52

Hi @mirakimco,

You can't add anything to the checkout page (unless you're on a Plus plan), but you could have a reminder on the cart page. It's also much more effective there, in terms of user experience—and not messing up your analytics (from users who would realise they could add something more and abandon the process to go back and fetch it). Generally speaking, you really want your visitor to start their checkout process once and get through with it, without interruptions.

In your cart page you can add a banner-like warning if the visitor is below the free shipping threshold (by calculating the total price for the items in the cart) and informing them on the amount they need to cover it. You can also have it run over a certain amount, depending on what makes sense for your business. For example, you usually wouldn't want the message to appear when they have just $10 worth of products in their cart, since you would display a message similar to "Add $65 more to enjoy Free shipping" (which kind of sounds like taunting, rather than being a useful information).

One thing you have to look out for is the visitor's country. Since you're not in the checkout phase yet, you don't really know the user's country either, so you wouldn't know which threshold to use. You can circumvent this issue by using a Geolocation app or a similar script, in order to display the correct message. You also need to be mindful of altering the thresholds or removing the messages altogether whenever you run free shipping offers (if you ever do).

All in all, it's a pretty straightforward implementation and one of those situations where you wouldn't really need an app for.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
mirakimco
Tourist
8 1 0

Hi, what you're saying makes sense, however how would I proceed to do that in the cart page? There isn't really any options on the cart page to do that without having to code, something which I unfortunately cannot do. Any tips? And if not, how exactly would the plus plan help? Would it be easy to do on the customize section or would I have to code something for it to work? Furthermore, the geolocation app would have to be linked to shopify in a way that it'll display correctly according to each customers cart value and location. How would I come around into doing that? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
pvoulg
Shopify Partner
175 26 52

Hi @mirakimco

Implementing a solution like that would require hiring a developer, if you don't have any coding experience. A simple implementation wouldn't exceed an hour of work and you would get a solution customized to your store's brand and needs. 

Another way to go about it would be to try one of the many free-shipping calculator apps (such as Free Shipping Bar, FREE Shipping calculator, or any other similar solution). Some of those come with geolocation built-in, so they will calculate the remaining amount depending on the user's location.

Panos Voulgaris
Founder @ function( )
0 Likes
Arslan_Ahmad
1 0 0

hi @pvoulg I am on a shopify plus plan. How can I do that?

0 Likes
pvoulg
Shopify Partner
175 26 52

Hey @Arslan_Ahmad

That would require activating your checkout template, by requesting Shopify Plus support to do so for you. You'd then have access to your checkout files, where you could use any number of options to create a small banner, or something similar. You can use any combination of checkout API/AJAX calls/JS/etc, to do that. 

If you offer free shipping to several countries, then you'd probably be better off showing the information at the second step (shipping_method), where you can also carry over information about the country from the previous step and then calculate the amount remaining.

Panos Voulgaris
Founder @ function( )