Free Shipping only on certain products

cooleastmarket
Tourist
34 0 2

I have free shipping for all orders over $55.  I'm now working with a drop shipper who will charge for shipping.  I don't want to add the shipping fee to the product cost.  There doesn't seem to be a way to have the free shipping apply only to certain products or collections, or is there?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Leslie

cooleastmarket.com

Replies 54 (54)

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey Leslie,

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify. 

I would strongly advise against this. I think it will be super confusing for your customers if certain items in your store have free shipping when they spend $55 and others do not. What if they want to mix items from the free shipping range and the non-free shipping category? Their $55 spend could be a mixture of the two and it will frustrate them when they realize they can't mix them. My advice would be to include the shipping in the item price (for your dropshipping items). I realize you said this is not what you want to do. 

If you're sure you want to have free shipping on some items and not others, there are a few workarounds. You can use a discount code. This allows you to offer free shipping on certain collections and not others. You can't combine discount codes though so this would mean you can't have a percentage off or a dollar amount off in the same sale. 

You can also consider using an app such as Bespoke Shipping or Better Shipping. They both allow you to do per item shipping prices. This would be the best option to achieve what you're looking for but it's not the most cost-effective option. Both of these apps would require Carrier Calculated shipping to work. There are 3 ways to add Carrier Calculated Shipping. You can either upgrade to the Advanced Shopify plan which is $299 per month, add it to your existing plan for an additional $20 per month or you can pay annually rather than monthly. This will give you 10% discount on your plan and you’ll get FREE Carrier Calculated Shipping. 

The third option would be to do weight-based shipping prices. You don't have to use the real weight of the item, you can use fake weights to manipulate the prices you want to charge. Instead of doing free shipping over $55, you could do free shipping over a certain weight and make sure your items that are not eligible for free shipping do not have weights so they will always be charged for shipping. In this case, the customer would still end up with free shipping if enough of the other products got added to cart.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

QualityControl
Visitor
1 0 18

Hi Leslie,

Sorry, but trying to sell apps or extra plans to shopify users, just to add a free shipping option to a product, is ridiculous. Why don't you just add a "Free Shipping" checkbox on the product editing page? Keep it simple!

Thank you very much 🙂

BettyJane
Tourist
4 0 3

Been asking about this for over a year. I have bulk item products I sell that I want to offer free shipping on those items only. Have yet to find a way to do it. Very odd that such an obvious marketing tool is missing. 

TaurianBelle
Excursionist
18 0 6

Shopify used to have FREE SHIPPING as an option back then...now they see an opportunity, removed than option and replaced it with these SHOPIFY EXPERTS pushing us to upgrade or buy apps just to get Free Shipping. F**ked Up if you ask me.

c321vintiques
Tourist
8 0 2

Right?!?  seems really simple fix to me.

nudavinci64
Visitor
2 0 0

Looks like you can do it when setting up shipping rates  https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shipping/setting-up-and-managing-your-shipping/setting-up-shippin.... Came looking and found this one.  going to give it a try.

Cottage21
Excursionist
10 0 8

Hi!

How do you add free shipping discount to certain collections and not others? We would like to make gift cards not apply to the total amount needed for the free shipping discount, is this possible by making one collection that is excluded from using the free shipping discount?

BlueBoltCreativ
Visitor
1 0 3

This is RIDICULOUS, Bigcommerce and others have an EASY free shipping button on each product, Come on SHOPIFY Get your stuff together. 

cooleastmarket
Tourist
34 0 2

Hi,

Thanks for your well-thought out reply.  Yes, I can see it would be frustrating for customers to have free shipping on some things and not others.  Also, as you point out, what happens when items are combined?  I'm going to think about this.  Adding at least a portion of the shipping to the product cost might be the best option.

Thanks,

Leslie

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there!

Don here from Shopify!

I just wanted to add another suggestion based on Aria's response here.

You can set up per-product shipping rates by using the Parcelify app in your store.

This is much like the shipping apps suggested above, though this app is itself free to use (bar the cost of needing to add carrier calculated rates as outlined above) so it might make using this option more affordable for you.

If you have any app-specific questions you can reach out to any app's developers using the email address or contact form listed on the app store page.

If you'd like to get the carrier rates add-on added to your plan you can reach out to us via our support site and we can help out from there.

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SmallBizOwner20
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Dan, thanks for your post. I downloaded Parcelify and got as far as I could setting it up with their published content. I sent email to Parcelify support with a detailed message about my questions and what I needed. I was very surprised and got an immediate response on a Sunday morning by the co-founder. Great customer service. That was until I completed the tasks he outlined to fix the first and easiest easiest problem I had. In his second email to address the biggest question he said he really can't help me as I only am paying $14.99 a month and my question is a consulting job. My question was about how best to set it up because I have 7 different product all varying in weight and my customers can choose any combo they want but the more products the bigger the box and how does box size fit into setting up the costs within their structure. 

My response to him and to all the other small business entrepreneurs who are looking for a shipping app and reading this: I understand that. Point me in the direction of the tutorials and content that you have published that I figure it out. I got this far by reading a Shopify post about your app. Set it up to the point I could by reading your content. I contacted you because I couldn't find the content to answer my questions. If you aren't going to provide the content to learn how to do it or the link to the content to users then this isn't the product for small  business entrepreneurs who use Shopify and are looking for shipping help.

I'm going to explore the other apps listed in your post. Hopefully I find one as great as Appostle who also responded to an email I sent that same Sunday morning (I wasn't expecting a response), were incredibly nice and went above and beyond which I wasn't looking for or asking for. 

shipping101
Shopify Partner
12 0 0

Hello Leslie,

The advanced shipping manager can offer a solution for accurately calculating shipping and item level free shipping of your products.

No more worrying how to quote shipping rates in your store!  Now you can account for product level settings, such as:

- Shipping from multiple dropshippers (multiple origins), and even cover for dropshipping fees

- Dimensional weight products and products that ship alone

- Flat-rate or free shipping promotions for specific products

- Block certain shipping methods for specific products

- Real-Time rates from common US couriers - for domestic and international shipping methods

- Real-Time rates from many freight couriers!

To read reviews from some of our Shopify customers and download the app, please click on: https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-shipping-manager-for-shopify

Let me know if you would like to discuss in further detail.

Burt,

Your Shipping Guru

Ebrowsershop@gmail.com

Customer Success Manager - Shipping Guru

flutesonline_co
Tourist
3 0 5

Aria,

you mentioned “You can use a discount code. This allows you to offer free shipping on certain collections and not others.”

i have been asking for free shipping for products x,y,z or free shipping with collection x for a while now.   is it something new, i still do not see it

walt

RFF
Visitor
1 0 5

I too have been looking for this and cant seem to get my discount codes to let me do it. I am using it fro promotional items...

TaurianBelle
Excursionist
18 0 6

Because these so called "SHOPIFY EXPERTS" are hell bent to sell us their APPS. Notice how they all telling us to get this or upgrade that blah blah..Commission perhaps?

George_C
Trailblazer
155 1 145

Agreed with @flutesonline_co — I see no way to limit free shipping discount codes to specific products or collections. The Shopify staff member who replied above was obviously incorrect. 

For certain items/collections, I use a print-on-demand service with separate shipping rates in a Shipping Profile for the POD service. Customers pay a separate shipping charge for those items. 

I'd like to be able to offer free shipping for items that ship from my studio, or from the POD service, independently, instead of having no option but to offer free shipping on both product types. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
MissApril
Tourist
3 0 15

I AGREE!! You should be able to offer free shipping on certain products or collections as an incentive or promotion. Let's see about fixing this Shopify. 🙂

AlohaEarthlings
Visitor
1 0 6

I NEED THIS ASAP! I want my to charge shipping on orders under $50 but I want to give free shipping on subscription-based products!

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
41 0 14

You can no longer select certain collections or products to qualify for free shipping. Is this a glitch or will it stay this way?

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @Jennifer_McMill!

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you trying to do this in the discount section or in your shipping settings?

If it's the discount section, that has never been an option.

If it's the shipping settings, can I please have a screenshot?

Thanks!

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
41 0 14

I wanted to set it up where if someone purchased a certain amount they will get free shipping, but only on certain items b/c we have such a range of large/small, heavy/light. But when I go into set up a discount code or automatic option, neither have the "select specific category section" that was once there ( I don't remember what it was called.)  Once you click on free shipping, the area that says specific collections goes away. But I didn't realize there was a shipping profile option...can that be set up where they buy a certain amount to qualify?shopify 2.PNGshopify1.PNG

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
41 0 14

Also I'm looking at the shipping profiles now, it should have an option to move an entire collection to the shipping profile and not have to select the items. For example if I want all shirts to be under a different shipping profile, I can't just search shirts and click select all b/c what if I didn't put shirt in the title?  It should be accessible by collection.

TaurianBelle
Excursionist
18 0 6

Shopify will not make it easy for their customers without purchasing an app or Upgrade.

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @Jennifer_McMill!

That's correct. If you're creating a free shipping discount, you won't be able to select certain products or collections, that only works for percentage or fixed amount discounts. 

I can certainly feed it back to the developers to let them know you'd like to select products for the free shipping discount and you'd also like to be able to select your products by collection in the shipping settings and you'd like a different default package size for each shipping profile. 

As a workaround, you could use an app such as Parcelify to create different box sizes for different products. 

I appreciate your feedback.

Dnelmes
Tourist
3 0 1

I'd like to see either a discount code option for free shipping that allows the selection of certain products rather than the entire product range, or better yet, have the shipping profiles properly merge.

I currently have two shipping profiles, one for items for free shipping and one for items with certain rates, but i'd like to be able have them combine the rates after a certain amount of weight is achieved in the cart as I don't use rates per price but rather the weight of items.

If there was a way to combine the shipping profiles at checkout that would be the best fix in my opinion, other than that then a discount code for free shipping on selected items is crucial!

michellereissig
Visitor
1 0 4

I would like to second (or third?) the ask for the ability to create a free shipping discount code for selected products/collections! Or even for selected shipping profiles! With the other customizations that are possible with the discount codes, it seems bizarre that this customization does not exist. A workaround could even be that certain shipping profiles do not accept discount codes? 

Our store (https://shop.argosycruises.com/) features items that we carry as well as dropshipped items. Sometimes our staff or partners are interested in buying our products, and I would like to be able to offer them a discount code for free shipping (so they can pick the item up directly from us) that does not apply to our Dropshipped items. Otherwise, we do not offer order pickup or delivery. 

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @michellereissig!

Your situation is fairly unique but there are certainly workarounds available. 

You could use an app such as Wholesale & Custom Pricing. It has a free option and it allows you to hide pricing, including shipping for certain customers. 

Oblotzky
Excursionist
12 0 8

I too would like to express my desire for a Discount Code that enables me to offer free shipping on certain Products / Categories of Products. I am aware of Shipping profiles, but I don't want this rebate to apply for all sales of that product, only when the code is used because it's a limited promotion.

coffeemand
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Aria,

This is not unique and needed by lots business.  Big Commerce offer it as standard. We have multiple shipping categories because we have product they weighs from 1kg to 150kg and the shipping on these cannot be the same. Are you able to tell me how we can offer our customers free shipping for products that reside in different shipping categories, without having to purchase another app?
Thank you

cromeinc
Tourist
3 0 0

I would definitely like this option - I was hoping to offer free shipping on purchases over $25 of prints I am offering - and definitely do not want the free shipping applied across my website - as I have some heavier sculptures and art that I definitely cannot AFFORD to offer free shipping on. This is a definite must. Not everything weighs the same. Prints are cheap to ship so I can afford free shipping, a 3ft x 4ft painting with a custom wooden frame would not be free shipping. Please make this happen, Shopify! Thanks!

BettyJane
Tourist
4 0 3
*Free shipping for specific products*

You can add a free shipping rate that applies only to certain products.
First, create a shipping profile
<>
that
contains the products on which you want to offer free shipping.
*Steps:*

1. From your Shopify admin, go to *Settings* > *Shipping and delivery*
<>.

2. Next to the shipping profile where you want to add a free shipping
rate, click *Manage*.

3. Next to the zone where you want to add a free shipping rate, click *Add
rate*.

4. Enter the name for the rate.

5. Make sure that the value of the *Price* field is 0.

6. Optional: Add weight-based or value-based conditions.

0. Click *Add conditions*.

1. Select whether to base the condition on order weight or value.

2. Enter the minimum and maximum value for the condition.

7. Click *Done*, and then click *Save*.

Pieter-Jan_Copp
Tourist
3 0 2

Replying to the "Use a shipping region as a workaround"

I don't understand how this is always the default answer to every basic feature shortcoming Shopify has. 
"Use a app that you pay for per month"
"Use this workaround that actually won't do what you need"
"You are using it wrong"

We are paying thousands and thousands of $$$ a month for this kind of support ?

Jennifer_McMill
Excursionist
41 0 14

Also, if we can set up different shipping profiles, why can't we enter different package sizes in the different shipping profiles so that the dimensional weight would be figured?

TaurianBelle
Excursionist
18 0 6

I don't understand why add the products in shipping profiles..and to make matters worse we have to choose products one by one depending on profiles that we create. F*ckin ridiculous!

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @MissApril and @AlohaEarthlings!

You absolutely can now. This is an old post, we've introduced Shipping Profiles since then. You can put different products in different profiles and have different rules for each profile. Some profiles may offer free shipping, some may not. You can have an individual profile for subscription products as well.

JoshDodd
Visitor
1 0 0

Reviving an old post but even with shipping profiles, I don't see any way to apply a free shipping discount to only certain products or collections. Selecting the "free shipping" option prevents ANY product or collection selection. The "applies to" options fields simply disappear

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @JoshDodd!

You are correct in saying you can't apply a free shipping discount code to specific products only, that only works with percentage discounts and $ discounts.

To apply free shipping to certain products only, you would need to do this in your shipping settings, instead of using a discount code. 

crickett
Tourist
3 0 4

So confused.  There is NO WAY to do a promo for free shipping on a specific product or collection AT ALL?   

May I ask why Shopify doesn't come out with this?  Is there some sort of agreement with other shipping apps that they can't?  

Aria
Shopify Staff (Retired)
853 34 332

Hey, @crickett!

You are correct, there is currently no way to create a promo code for free shipping on certain products or collections. You certainly can do free shipping on certain products but you would do that in the shipping settings as mentioned above, not in the discount section. 

I can certainly send a feature request to our developers. Please provide your store URL if you'd like me to do this and it would be helpful if I could explain to them why it doesn't work for you to do the free shipping in the shipping settings. 

KHLAU
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Aira,

The problem with create different Shipping Profile is that if there are 2 or more products in the cart and they are from two different shipping profiles. Then the shipping rate will be restricted to the lowest-priced shipping option by default. Customer cannot choose a faster shipping method even if they are willing to pay.

Actually, the problem can be solved by allowing applying "free shipping discount" to certain collections of products.

Some products have the same value but their sizes are very different and we cannot offer free shipping for bulky items. The current system doesn't help.

thebakingcoach
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm posting to request Shopify Development add the option to offer a Free Shipping Discount using the Discounts Code function, where merchants can select to have it apply to only certain products or collections. It makes no sense why this is not an option! The original question posted in 2018 with 25K views and multiple subsequent follow up comments and questions since, with mine now in Dec. 2022, indicate a demand for this option! 
In the case of my store I offer physical products for sale and in-person workshops for sale but if I want to offer a temporary Free Shipping offer on the purchase of a certain amount, a customer can get around this by buying a workshop (higher value) and adding one product (only a $20 value) and still qualify for the Free Shipping when the intention was to offer Free Ship on only physical products. So if Shopify needs this as a case study as to why this is a necessary feature, please forward to developers since it does not justify purchasing an app when I only want to use the Free Shipping option on promotion. Creating separate Shipping Profiles also does not warrant the hassle for a temporary Free Shipping promo. A simple "Select Products or Collections" to apply the Free Shipping to within the Free Shipping discount code section would be ideal!

Schui_Baumann1
Tourist
10 0 11

Also desperately need a discount code for Free Shipping with the ability to limit it to certain products or collections. 

Right now I have a collection of products that I want to offer with free shipping. but i'm also offering free shipping for every order over $100. I set this up as two separate shipping segments. The major problem is, that those two segments can't be combine in one order. if a customer orders from a product from the collection with free shipping but also has other items in the cart that puts them over $100, shopify now won't show the free shipping option but reverts to the normal shipping rates.

ayellowgiraffe
Excursionist
32 0 58

I also would like a Free Shipping option for "Buy X Get Y", where Y=Free Shipping! I think this should be a standard option in Discount Codes for Shopify, as this is very common for e-commerce. Please please update this! It's been a long time already...

ayellowgiraffe
Excursionist
32 0 58

it's 2023, just thought I'd follow up lol. I'm still very much wanting for discount  "Buy X Get Y" where Y includes the option for Free Shipping please! 🙏 Since X now allows for specific products/collections, Y should include "Free Shipping" as an option too. Thank you!!!

BettyJane
Tourist
4 0 3

I've found the best method with finding solutions on shopify is googling the question. Here is a solution that I found (been offering free shipping on certain products for a couple weeks and works).

Free shipping for specific products
You can add a free shipping rate that applies only to certain products. First, create a shipping profile that contains the products on which you want to offer free shipping.
Steps:
1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.
2. Next to the shipping profile where you want to add a free shipping rate, click Manage.
3. Next to the zone where you want to add a free shipping rate, click Add rate.
4. Enter the name for the rate.
5. Make sure that the value of the Price field is 0.
6. Optional: Add weight-based or value-based conditions.
0. Click Add conditions.
1. Select whether to base the condition on order weight or value.
2. Enter the minimum and maximum value for the condition.
7. Click Done, and then click Save.

Oblotzky
Excursionist
12 0 8

This applies free shipping to all purchases of that item, with codes we would be able to have this applied selectively, only to people who have the code.

Shemmy
Visitor
1 0 0

Have you guys found any plugin/app that can create coupon code offer free shipping for certain products or collection?

Harishb
Visitor
2 0 0

This can be done without adding any 3rd party apps.

- You can do this from Settings > Shipping & Delivery > Create New Profile (Add custom rates or destination restrictions for groups of products.)

- You can name that as FREE SHIPPING (Customers won't see this. It is automatically applied when that product is added)

- Add the product or product variant where you want Free shipping applied.

- It does not conflict with other products either. Because the FREE Shipping product's weight is not added to the total shipping weight.

You can try it out at http://myinnerflame.com and try adding Flavors Of India - Starter Kit (I have applied free shipping to just that product. Then try adding any other product to add to under $35. You will see how the shipping is calculated automatically.

See SCREEN SHOT

Step1.pngstep2.pngstep3.png

Oblotzky
Excursionist
12 0 8

This is not what we are looking for in this thread. We want a coupon code to do this so that it can be provided as a promotional code for example that not everyone has, or even limit it to certain users (this can be done for codes). Yes you can set individual items to have free shipping, but then this would apply ALWAYS and to EVERYONE for as long as the item is in that shipping profile.