Solved

Can a refunded order be marked as fulfilled in Shopify?

catsmeowpg
Visitor
2 0 7

I have an order that was refunded before we could mark it as "fulfilled." It remains in my order log as an unfulfilled item. I have cancelled and archived the order, as well as hitting the checkbox and hitting "fulfill orders" as a bulk action in the orders list window, and nothing has worked. Is there any way to mark the order as fulfilled at this point?

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @catsmeowpg!

If the order was refunded and restocked, then it can not be marked as fulfilled as there are no products to fulfill for the order. In this case, cancelling and archiving the order would have been the best step you could have taken. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 29 (29)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @catsmeowpg!

If the order was refunded and restocked, then it can not be marked as fulfilled as there are no products to fulfill for the order. In this case, cancelling and archiving the order would have been the best step you could have taken. 

catsmeowpg
Visitor
2 0 7

@Trevor Okay, thanks for your help!

lovemade14
Tourist
4 0 0

I have an order that needs a partial credit but NOT to be fulfilled. Is it possible to fulfill the order, process the credit then unfulfill the order so we can process it normally? We typically run 5-6 weeks before we fulfill an order. I usually ask customers to wait until their order ships before I can process any credit. Not a good business practice. If I fulfill it now ( 5 weeks to early), I run the risk of thinking it is completed.

Would this be a workaround?

Thanks so much!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@lovemade14 

You would just need to partially refund the order by clicking "refund" but do not restock the item. No need to fulfill the order beforehand. 

quiltingcowgirl
Tourist
3 0 15

@Trevor 

There should be an option to make this go off our unfulfilled tabs.  Yes I know we didn't fulfill it but we refunded the money and restocked.....so couldn't it say restocked instead of unfulfilled? Very frustrating to think we always have orders to fulfill and have employees trying to fulfill these orders.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@quiltingcowgirl 

Thank you for the feedback. While I can't say for certain whether this is a change we can make, I have raised it with our Products team so they can look into making this change. In the meantime, you could look into using the filter option in the order section to exclude partially fulfilled, refunded, partially refunded and archived orders. 

BMF
Visitor
2 0 20

This issue is going back to 2016, when will Shopify actually do something instead of saying they will?

There are so many things Shopify already directs us to use "Apps", its time they provide us with the service we are paying for.

roxiesweetheart
Excursionist
11 0 11

Literally I just googled the issue and can't quite believe this has not been resolved since 2016 🤦‍♀️ I am having the same issue - having refunded, cancelled and archived the order it STILL shows in my unfullfilled tab and it's very annoying

bexiapparel
Visitor
1 0 15

I also have this issue. I would really appreciate if it was brought up with the team again. It is so frustrating that I see Orders never at ZERO because of these old, unfulfilled orders. It is confusing and frustrating.

PawsByZann
Tourist
3 0 6

Hey, I came up with a workaround that puts these orders down for good. I also wish Shopify would just fix it, but since they haven't....

1. Reopen the order
2. Add a new custom item to the order. Call it "Mark as fulfilled" or whatever you want.
3. Put the cost of the item as $0 and make sure you've unchecked the box that says "send update to customer"

4. Fulfill this new, $0 item

5. Archive the order

This will take the order out of the notifications bubble and make it grey. Hooray!

traditioncoffee
Excursionist
11 0 11
This worked great, unreal that this is how to close out the order, but
really appreciate a solution! Any suggestions for cancelled orders?

Lilextra
Visitor
1 0 0

IVE FOUND A WAY TO DO IT!! I came here searching for the answer, and was very disappointed 🤣 so hopefully I can help somebody in future that comes here for the same reason- so

I went onto the order that couldn’t be fulfilled as refunded

Go to edit

Press to send invoice to buyer

Add a item (I did a custom item called fulfill that was conveniently free!) 

unclick send invoice to buyer 

send

then you can fulfill it!!

cstoops
Tourist
5 0 8

Has anyone figured this out yet? I feel like I did at one point, but I have 23 canceled, refund, UNFULFILLED orders still showing in my Order count and its driving me CRAZY!!!!

ZabsSauce
Visitor
1 0 4

Has this been addressed yet?  We have a bunch of archived/refunded orders that still show as "Unfulfilled" on our home page / app icon.  Why can't these be properly archived?  Thanks!

tdchandler
Visitor
2 0 3

Yes, seriously Shopify please figure this out! These orders on my end are from the prior owner not marking them as fulfilled before they were returned. It drives me CRAZY knowing there is no way I can fix it, other than to filter it to only see certain things. For the money spent on the service, I'd expect smoother operations by now.

PawsByZann
Tourist
3 0 6

I hate that Shopify hasn't fixed this, but I also came up with a workaround that puts these orders down for good.

1. Reopen the order
2. Add a new custom item to the order. Call it "Mark as fulfilled" or whatever you want.
3. Put the cost of the item as $0 and make sure you've unchecked the box that says "send update to customer"

4. Fulfill this new, $0 item

5. Archive the order

This will take the order out of the notifications bubble and make it grey. Hooray!

tdchandler
Visitor
2 0 3
I wish this worked, but it won't allow me to modify an invoice past 60
days. 😞 I appreciate your help, though!
traditioncoffee
Excursionist
11 0 11

I have a similar issue where we had to refund the shipping, but not the item, so it was fulfilled.  However, it is staying in a "partially refunded" stated and appears to be an open order.  The refund on shipping is due to a subscription issue of shopify not allowing "free shipping" on subscription orders!

Denislisa
Tourist
5 0 5

How is this a "solution"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I look at my app and see a little notification telling med to fulfil someones order. So something I need to take action on.

So whenever that little red dot (or yellow "unfulfilled" tag) is there, I'm not resting.

Call me OCD or whatever, but I need that notification or tag to stop nagging me, when evereything has been taken care of. 
Why is this so hard to fix?

PawsByZann
Tourist
3 0 6
I totally agree. It's stupid that they won't fix this.
cstoops
Tourist
5 0 8

But that doesn't take it out of the "unfullfilled" status and it keeps it in our count of orders to fulfill. I have 23 refund, canceled, UNFULLFILLED orders that linger in my order count and it is driving me crazy. 

cstoops
Tourist
5 0 8

I even use the "Mark As Fulfilled" button and it does nothing. Why is that button an option?

cstoops_0-1658431639575.png

steveg3492
Visitor
1 0 1

How do you clear the notification then? I have orders that were cancelled and refunded, but remain unfulfilled - as such I have notifications on both desktop and mobile that never go away. Very annoying.

Mariejo
Shopify Partner
10 0 7

I have the same problem for my client and yes it's very frustrating. It would be a great idea to solve this for 2022 🙂

loyalthomas
4 0 0

When you refund an order, you send payment back to the customer. You can refund an entire order or only part of an order. You can also refund an order without creating a return, but you can't create a return after a refund has been issued. In some circumstances, you can cancel an order and issue a refund.

cstoops
Tourist
5 0 8

Figured it out with the help of this post!!!!
Go to Orders, Filter by Status, and select open. When it generates your order list here, mark all the orders that are done, click on actions and click on Archive Orders!
My counter is FINALLY RIGHT!!!
https://community.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-and/how-do-i-get-rid-of-these-orders/m-p/675097

McDougallDesign
Tourist
3 0 1

Requesting shopify actually fix this. Its bugging me like crazy.

I have one order that I had to cancel and refund, but it won't grey out/mark as fufilled. I also can't do the reopen/add item to grey it out trick as the order is cancelled.

HELP!

bdeaw
Shopify Partner
59 1 55

Just got off with support trying to figure this out. They sent me here. So frustrating. 

Jamas
Visitor
1 0 0

This is Gold. 
Eternal gratitude.