Solved

Does customer address auto-fill on shipping labels for new stores?

kennethdavids
Visitor
2 0 0

I am just starting my store, and it is not clear from browsing through the various steps in setup whether the address information entered by the customer is automatically entered into the shipping label. In other words, will I need to rekey the address in order to generate a label? (I hope not!)

Thanks 

Accepted Solution (1)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 259

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @kennethdavids!

When you're purchasing a shipping label via Shopify Shipping, the system will automatically pull through the address that was entered by the customer for their order. Because of this, you won't have to manually enter each address yourself, as seen on the video on this help guide. However, the system does give you the option to edit the order's address if you wish to do so.

Instances where the edit address option will come in handy are when the customer changes their mind on the shipping address, or if your chosen shipping carrier doesn't quite recognise the address format that was entered. If an address isn't recognised, you will see a yellow warning banner and you can then review the customer's address via the shipping carrier's address checker tool here. From there, you can make the necessary changes on the shipping label before purchasing it on your Shopify admin.

How is everything else going for your store?

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 259

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @kennethdavids!

When you're purchasing a shipping label via Shopify Shipping, the system will automatically pull through the address that was entered by the customer for their order. Because of this, you won't have to manually enter each address yourself, as seen on the video on this help guide. However, the system does give you the option to edit the order's address if you wish to do so.

Instances where the edit address option will come in handy are when the customer changes their mind on the shipping address, or if your chosen shipping carrier doesn't quite recognise the address format that was entered. If an address isn't recognised, you will see a yellow warning banner and you can then review the customer's address via the shipping carrier's address checker tool here. From there, you can make the necessary changes on the shipping label before purchasing it on your Shopify admin.

How is everything else going for your store?

kennethdavids
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for the answer, Kimi. Very useful! Perhaps you can help me with another two related questions. I am selling one product, a book. The package weighs 1 lb 14 oz. (in total counting packaging material). Is it possible to for me collect only the flat rate for 1-2 pounds media mail, for example, and print the label with that amount, then drop the package at a USPS location without interacting with a counter person? A secondary question might be: if I cannot use the flat rate and Shopify needs to calculate the USPS shipping rate, would I then be able to print the label with the postage and drop at USPS without going to the counter?

Thanks!

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 259

My pleasure, @kennethdavids!

As long as the order that comes through on your store is being fulfilled at a supportable location as mentioned on this Shopify Shipping guide, then you can set up a flat rate for your customers and still be able to purchase a shipping label via your Shopify admin. The amount that you'll need to pay for the shipping label may differ from the flat rate that you offer to customers, however. This is because you'd be paying for the carrier-calculated shipping rate, which is being charged by whichever shipping carrier you choose to use to ship your order.

In terms of dropping off your package without interacting with a counter person, you'll need to contact USPS directly as they'd have more information about this. Just a note that a popular way of getting packages to a shipping carrier is to schedule a pickup, as it saves a lot of merchants' time to let the carrier come directly to the pickup address to collect the package. More information on this can be found on our help guide here, if you'd like to learn more about that process.

jjones123
Visitor
1 0 0

I opted in to put money in my wallet so orders can be automatically fulfilled, do that mean it will be shipped also?

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 259

Hi, @jjones123.

Can you confirm what wallet you're referring to here? Are you perhaps using a third-party app that controls your store's order fulfilment, and that it allows you to input funds into your wallet so that orders can be paid for and fulfilled automatically by the supplier? 

If this is the case, you'll need to double check with your third-party app to see whether or not they will also automatically ship the orders for you, or if there is anything else you'll need to action on your end before an order can be shipped to your customer. Most third-party apps will automatically mark an order as fulfilled once they have shipped the items from their end to your customers, but do check this workflow with the app's support team directly as each app has their own fulfilment and shipping methods. More information on this can be found on our help guide here.

If you're referring to something else however, can you please clarify your question for us? I'd like to understand the situation better, so that we can see how to best guide and support you with your query.

I'm also curious, what do you sell on your store? Have you recently launched, or are you in the process of preparing for the grand opening of your store?

EasyGiftGeneral
Visitor
1 0 0

Does the money from someones order go into my account or somewhere eles? Just a little confused on that part.

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 259

Hi, @EasyGiftGeneral.

Do you have a third-party app installed on your store that fulfils and ships orders on your behalf?

Normally, once you've successfully connected your Shopify store to a third-party app, such as a Dropshipping or Print on Demand app, when a customer places an order on your store they will pay directly to you using your store's payment provider. If you're using Shopify Payments as your payment gateway for example, the funds from the order will be sent through to your Shopify Payouts, which will then be paid out to the bank account you connected on your Shopify Payments account. From here, the order will then come through to your third-party app, who will then bill you so that they can fulfil and ship the order to your customer. You can find more information on how you get paid on our help guide here.

This workflow all depends on the specific third-party app you're using however, so I recommend getting in touch with the third-party app's Support team directly if you have any questions about their particular fulfilment methods. Your third-party app may also have a document within their website's Help Center section that explains this process in more detail — Printful, for example, has this document detailing how their billing system operates.

Apart from this, is there anything else that you need help with clarifying? How are things getting on with your store?