Solved

Why can't I close my Shopify store due to a failed payment?

minuxy
Visitor
1 0 0

I have signed up to Shopify using the 90-days trial link, still on it.

I haven't had any orders, I haven't subscribed to any paid apps or anything. But I have an upcoming bill and a failed bill in the Billing section.

I want to close this store, but it says error; payment failed.

Can someone look into it please?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution (1)

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, there!

Thanks for reaching out. This is likely occurring because the 90 day trial has expired and we've attempted to charge the card or PayPal account on file but it's been declined. If this is the case, we have two options.

The first option would be to let the account freeze. If the card on file is being declined, our billing service will freeze the account after 3 failed attempts. A frozen account is essentially the same thing as a closed account. The only difference being that you would need to pay the outstanding invoice should you want to reactivate this specific account. 

The second option would be to change the card or PayPal account on file and pay the outstanding invoice, so that the account can be properly close. Once the account is closed our support team can look into issuing a refund for the subscription fees, as long as the account is closed shortly after the invoice is paid.

Warm regards

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, there!

Thanks for reaching out. This is likely occurring because the 90 day trial has expired and we've attempted to charge the card or PayPal account on file but it's been declined. If this is the case, we have two options.

The first option would be to let the account freeze. If the card on file is being declined, our billing service will freeze the account after 3 failed attempts. A frozen account is essentially the same thing as a closed account. The only difference being that you would need to pay the outstanding invoice should you want to reactivate this specific account. 

The second option would be to change the card or PayPal account on file and pay the outstanding invoice, so that the account can be properly close. Once the account is closed our support team can look into issuing a refund for the subscription fees, as long as the account is closed shortly after the invoice is paid.

Warm regards

Jaunty67
Visitor
3 0 0

Please I need help to close  my store 

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, Jaunty!

You can close your shop by following the steps below:

• On the bottom left, click on Settings and then click on Plan and Permissions.
  • From here, scroll down to Store Status and click Close Store.
  • Follow the prompts to complete the cancellation. At this point, you can provide us with feedback about how we can improve.
  • Once you've closed your store, you won't be charged again in the future.

Are you receiving any specific error messages or having any trouble with the process of closing the shop?

Jaunty67
Visitor
3 0 0

I’ve been following the directions and it keeps telling me there’s an error So there’s no one that can close my store this is really annoying !

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @Jaunty67 !

Can you copy and paste the full error message you're receiving so we can help troubleshoot this further with you. Without full context it may be difficult to determine the best next steps.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jaunty67
Visitor
3 0 0
I’m not sure how I even got as far as I did but what I do know that my
account will be over drawn if a payment tries to come out of my account I’m
in a financial hard ship please I need help closing my store at this time
Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @Jaunty67 !

Sorry to hear you're still having some trouble getting the account closed. Closing the account is an action only the account owner can take unless there is some sort of technical issue preventing that from happening. If you're receiving an error message, we'll need to know what the error message is in order to troubleshoot this further. I've reached out to you directly via email so we can authenticate you and take a closer look into this together. The email was sent to the email address that is associated with your Shopify Community account.

Hope to hear from you soon!

muki
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello i need help closing my store, when i put close store it says to me payment failed, but all my card are on the day , and i dont know why is not closing.

please help

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @muki !

I'd be happy to help with this. First, let's check what payment method you have enabled as your primary payment method. You can do that by following the steps below:

1. From your Shopify admin, click Settings > Billing.

2. In the Payment methods section, either PayPal or a credit card will be listed as your primary

After you've determined what type of payment method you're using, you'll want to contact the provider to see if there are any holds on the account or if the final invoice from Shopify is failing for any reason.

Warm regards!

anonymousss
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, so I was trying to close my store for a few days now, but it wont let me. It says "Invoice payment failed: transaction failed". We have paid for our order. Oh and yesterday (06/02) I got a email that I have to pay the 29$ bill, BUT I TRIED TO CANCLE IT ON FEBRUARY 1st and it didn't let me! Please help. I don't have funds to pay the 29$...

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @anonymousss!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. When closing your Shopify store, you are required to pay any outstanding app, shipping, and transaction fees. If your Shopify Subscription was due to be paid on the 6th of February and you are receiving this message, it is due to the pending invoices on your account. 

You can view the failed invoice under Settings > Billing > Bills > View upcoming bill to determine the type of fees you are owing.  If you're unable to pay the outstanding fees, you can simply let the account freeze out due to non-payment. A frozen account is essentially the same thing as a closed account.

Warm regards!

Karabo1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi I would also like to close my account my trial expired and I haven’t made any sales I try close it but it keeps saying something about invalid invoice but I cannot afford to pay $365 I’m at financial risk and isn’t they a way to close it without paying if you see this please email me Knwedeh04@gmail.com 

Ivy
Shopify Staff
1033 82 130

Hi @Karabo1, thanks for reaching out here.

By not choosing to pay your outstanding invoice, your store is essentially "closed". You can go with this option of not paying the invoice if you wish, however I do want to point out it looks as though you have chosen an annual plan perhaps? Our plans do begin from just $9 monthly so perhaps a lower cost plan may suit your needs better? Here is an outline of the plans costs and features. Can I ask why you have chosen to close your store? 

In order for payments to stop completely, you must elect to close your store. You will receive no further bills from Shopify after closing your store provided there are no outstanding charges. The process for closing the store can only be done by the store owner, and the steps are as follows:  

• From your Shopify admin, click Settings, and then click Plan and permissions or Account.
  • In the Store status section, click Sell or close store.
  • Click Close store.
  • Enter your password to continue.
  • Select a reason from the drop-down menu and then click Close store.
  • To confirm that your store is closed, you can go to your store's URL and see that your store no longer appears. 

If you choose to re-open your store within 30 days of closing it, then Shopify guarantees that all of your store's data and configuration information will be preserved. Shopify can't guarantee that any data will be preserved more than 30 days after closing your store. You can find a handy step-by-step video here

**If you have any third-party apps that have your payment information outside of Shopify, then cancel your service with those apps to avoid being billed externally after you close your store.**

Another option you may consider is Pausing your store - you can choose to fully pause your store for up to 12 weeks free of charge, after which you will be automatically transferred to our pause and build plan for a cost of $9 monthly. You can read full details of our pause plans here.

I hope this helps!

Ivy | Social Care @ Shopify

Out Of Office

-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog