How can I add different currency checkout to my store without using Shopify payments

ameya
Tourist
3 0 8

Hi,

My store is based in India, and Shopify payments have no support in India at this moment.

I need to add multi currency checkout on my store, and without Shopify payments it seems impossible. I am only using paypal and coinbase as my payment gateway. 

Is it possible to get a multi currency checkout for my store? or is there any alternative for this?

Thank You

Replies 24 (24)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @ameya!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

Multi-currency is a great way to increase sales in other countries. You'll be happy to know that this is not exclusive to Shopify Payments, meaning you're able to offer multiple currencies through other methods.

Our Shopify App Store is a great place to find many different add-ons for your Shopify account. This includes multi-currency, email marketing, store design and more! I've noted some multi-currency apps below that may be of interest to you.

• Bold Multi-Currency

• Free to install and use
    • Bold Multi-Currency is the most powerful currency converter app with NO limitations, and it's FREE. It truly lets your customers feel like they're shopping locally, no matter where they are.
    • Uses Geolocation so the right currency is displayed always
  • Auto Multi Currency Converter

• Free to use and has 5/5 stars on the app store
    • 160 currencies added in one click
    • Automatically round prices to keep your customer experience easy on the eyes.
  • Multi‑Currency Checkouts+

• Free plan available, then plans start at $5.99/month
    • Multi-currency switcher bar can be customized so that it matches your website look and feel.
    • Detect the country of the shopper and switch all prices to the currency of the visitor.

If these don't seem right for you, you can view a full list of apps right here: https://bit.ly/2XbNliN.

Good luck with your store, and please reach out if we can help in any way.

Thanks!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

ameya
Tourist
3 0 8

Hi @

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi again, @ameya!

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for the misunderstanding.

This feature is actually been released gradually but is only available for stores using Shopify Payments at the moment or for anyone on the Shopify Plus plan.

The ability to edit the code for the checkout is not available on any other plan unless you are on Shopify Plus. This guide explains this in more detail but the primary reasons behind not being able to edit the checkout CSS are around security, responsiveness, and maintaining PCI compliance. If we had customized checkouts, any updates or improvements that we wanted to make would have to be made on a store-by-store basis. As you can imagine, this would take a very long time! It would also make the customer suffer if the checkout was then glitchy/not updated correctly. Ultimately these systems are in place with the primary focus of making our platform more secure for you and your customers. We hope you understand that it’s with your best interest at heart.

Regarding using an app to convert the checkout, this would not be possible either for the same reason above. No apps or developers can edit the checkout code unless you are on the Shopify Plus plan.

I hope this helps clarify things for you!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

ameya
Tourist
3 0 8

Hi @Miles 

Thank you for your reply again. That clears everything.

What difference would that make to Shopify if they make the multi-currency feature universal and not just for Shopify payments. By doing that no one has to edit anything on the checkouts and there wont be no issue with the security too. 

Everyone would be happy 

Alixir
Excursionist
29 0 19

Hi all,

I totally agree with @ameya ! My shop is based on Morocco and I face the same problem.

Going global and breaking down the commerce barriers is what brought me to Shopify! Unfortunately, without more multiple-currency features, my conversion rate is expected to be affected for sure!

I hope Shopify will take this into consideration and will anticipate the ongoing growth of ecommerce of a variety of emerging countries.

KR,

okapu
Visitor
2 0 3

Yes, please shopify make the multi-currency feature available for all.

DebGan
Visitor
1 0 4

I am based in Indonesia and I am also facing the same problem. Have you got any way out? Please share.

Alixir
Excursionist
29 0 19
Hi DebGan
Unfortunately, no solution yet. Let me know if you find something!
KR,
azecom
Shopify Partner
5 0 3

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. I have an LLC in the US, an EIN and everything else.... The only thing I am missing is the SSN and obviously I do NOT have it since I am not a US resident. I live in Europe, but I want to use shopify payments with my LLC's bank.

I hope shopify will take this into account and solve this problem that happens to many of us.

NAMI1212
Tourist
5 0 6

shame...shame really shameful that after so much time Shopify still can't give Shopify payments for every country and we can't sell in a different currency at the checkout. You are really hurting our businesses... I'm thinking of moving my store to another platform because I have REALLY high abandoned carts because of this.

okapu
Visitor
2 0 3

Did you find another platform that doesn't have this problem ?

YudeleleGuitars
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes exactly, this is terrible on the part of Shopify. We are also based in Indonesia. We just launched our store on Shopify without any knowledge of this major issue. On top of this issue now we are facing the fact that if we switch to IDR (currently we have our prices listed in USD) we cannot use Paypal!

Shopify even lists Paypal as being an "Available payment providers in Indonesia" here: https://www.shopify.com.sg/payment-gateways/indonesia

This is absolutely bad business. If Shopify cannot rectify this we will be moving off of their platform, no question.

Sambo
Visitor
3 0 1

deleted

davidbest
Visitor
2 0 2

OK, I am on the Shopify PLus plan, how do i make my store Multi-currency without using Shopify Payments ? Any example of checkout script modification ?

S_HAN
Explorer
51 2 17

Is there any solution now?

nitin_jangra
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having this same problem. My store is based in India and the main reason for choosing shopify was going global. @Miles  can you please provide a workaround for enabling currencies in our store without Shopify Plus plan.

Jbmngmt1
Visitor
1 0 1

Have the same problem here in Canada because Im using stripe. Please let me know if their is a solution yet

josma
Excursionist
11 0 7

This is a huge problem. It doesn't make any sense to have multi-currency in the shop and then at checkout it's the default currency.

Fix this please. I'm working on it to move from Woocommerce where I have all possibilities, but Shopify is easier to manager and faster.

harris84firefox
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

I am thinking to move out from Shopify Plus because I can't see a viable solution to expand my store to 10 - 20 currencies. If somebody has any viable solution I would be more than happy to hear it.

juan3211
Shopify Partner
121 0 32

Any news? It is not logical to support multicurrency in shop, but not in checkout (only with shopify payments). 

CristianaM
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi all,

I face the same problem for my shop based in Romania. I do not understand Shopify's explanations of not extending Shopify payments or a solution to check out in multiple currencies for all countries, as long as it works for the 19 countries they implemented so far.

Due to this I also consider to switch to another platform. Moreover:

1. This is a major requirement to sell globally -> what Shopify promotes

2. I found out about this few days before going live, just by testing check-out. This should be clearly stated by Shopify when one decides to develop a site on this platform

3. % of abandoned carts is huge due to this and I totally understand the customer. Moreover this affects negatively the trust in our shops.

4. The currency x-change apps only show the price in another currency, but how do I ensure my customer that this is the price he/she will see cash out of his/her bank account?

@Shopifyplease provide a solution to a critical issue!!

FYI, all of us had made a business plan, invested in stock, closed contracts with transport suppliers, store products, make photo shots, pay people, pay applications on Shopify, work long hours, pay experts if necessary, pay packaging etc etc etc. So losing the chance to sell international just because the last step in the payment is not working is super frustrating!

Hope someone from @Shopify will answer this and come with a solution.

Thanks,

Cristiana

SophieWil
Tourist
4 0 1

I am having the same issue... And I see no one from Shopify answers this question. I also wish I knew it before setting up everything. 😞 

Rajput12
Visitor
1 0 0

Everyone leave shopify woocommerce is much better, no bullshit

leoanthony
Visitor
1 0 1

its 2023 and they still didn't figure out the multi currency feature that is only available on Shopify payment. So disappointed