How can I start a Shopify account under 18?

katedanielladay
4 0 0

I am 17 years old. I have my own debit card and bank account. Is my parent able to make a Shopify account for me under their name but connect my bank account to receive the payments?

Or does the bank account connected have to have the same name as the Shopify account owner?

Reply 1 (1)

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

Hi @katedanielladay!

So as stated in the Shopify Terms of Service you must be over 18 in order to hold the account. At the moment your option is to have the account under your parent or legal guardian's name after getting their consent, and for now you will also need to have their bank account connected.

After you turn 18, you will be able to look into transferring account ownership here, and after that you can replace the bank details from this guide.

I hope this helps! In the meantime, do tell me a little bit more about your business and I will see if there is anything else I can offer in terms of advice or assistance. If you're struggling on how to get started, do take a look at our Shopify Blog article on the Store Launch Checklist which goes through all the elements you need to look at before you're ready for launch!

Let me know if you have any other questions here.

Thanks! -Lana

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog