I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add a 2-5 day processing time before my items are shipped. I make handmade items - so I'm unable to ship within 24 hours after receiving an order, like what shopify wants me to automatically do. I'd like to add a 2-5 day processing time that will show up on the cart page/invoice - and correspond with the estimated shipping delivery. (So the estimated delivery time will add in the 2-5 day processing time - - - so the over all shipping delivery estimate will be pushed back 2-5 days)
Can someone please help me? Again - I've searched and searched and have not found an answer.
What we can do is showing a static message on cart page about the time Or We can send a order confirmation mail to your customers saying your message ?
This is Ren from the Shopify support team and I may be able to help out here.
I just wanted to start by saying I love that you are selling your handmade products on Shopify - I'd love to know what your craft is!
There are several things you can do here to set appropriate processing and shipping time expectations for your customers.
1. Detail your processing and time expectations on your shipping page. Often customers will check here once they start wondering where their order is. This is a great place to describe your processing timeframe and avoid customer support debt.
2. Add processing time information into your order confirmation notification.
3. Change you theme language to reflect the additional processing days. You can learn how to change the theme language here. Use the search field to find all the places in your checkout that using "shipping" language and rewords it to reflect your processing time.
4. Use an app like Custom Order Status to update your customers with email notifications through each step. You can update to let them know when their order is in production, when it's being prepped to ship and when it's on it's way out. These options are highly customizable as well and particularly useful if you want to offer (upsell) rush orders.
Let me know what you think and if those suggestions are what you had in mind!
Can you please help me to understand, I am also wanting to add in the processing time. I read your directions...
1. Detail your processing and time expectations on your shipping page. Often customers will check here once they start wondering where their order is. This is a great place to describe your processing timeframe and avoid customer support debt. I do not see where I can do this? Can you please give specific details on where to go?
2. Add processing time information into your order confirmation notification. I do not see where I can do this? Can you please give specific details on where to go?
3. Change you theme language to reflect the additional processing days. You can learn how to change the theme language here. Use the search field to find all the places in your checkout that using "shipping" language and rewords it to reflect your processing time. I went into the theme language however I guess I do not understand where I would put this language?
Thank you in advance. I want to make sure that I am very clear with customers.
Click the name of the notification that you want to change.
You can edit the Email subject field and the body of the email or anything else you wish to.
The order notification page can be found by following the same steps as above and you would simply edit the subject field and body to add your message. Here is an example of what that looks like:
Finally, the language editor can be found by going to Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit Languages:
From there you'll want to type "shipping" into the search field and any relevant fields will populate to the top of the list to allow you to make changes. Looks like this:
Hope that helps! Please let me know if I can clarify anything further for you.
I'm also experiencing the same issue. I followed your steps with the images provided however when I go to create a mock order during checkout and arrive at the shipping page, the same text I just inputted does not show up. How or where do I go to confirm that the text does in fact show up for customers?
Are you making sure to save the changes in the admin? When you test it, are you making sure you're not inside your theme editor but in a new window/browser? Finally, are you going all the way to the end of checkout where the shipping details are located? That is where you'll find the changes.
Let me know!
Thanks for your messages here, and I think something that would be a value add to all shopify stores is adding a dropdown box in the shipping profiles to allow shops to add a day or two to projected delivery dates. Unfortunately, USPS projected dates come through as definitive, and anyone that uses them know this is anything but the case.
Also, when customers are ordering after a certain time in a day, there should be an automatic rollover to account for that, like anything after 2pm should by default add a day. Though, allowing the add on to all projected delivery dates would be the ultimate solution, and should be low-hanging fruit to add something great for your customers, and our customers.
A business can add info on pages all day long, and even send messages after the fact, but the fact is that the only thing that matters is the date they are staring at during checkout, and we need to make sure that they are given the best information possible to be able to make an informed decision about the shipping method that works best for them.
Thanks again, and I do hope this feedback is delivered to the team. It causes alot of heartburn for us, and it seems like it should be easily remedied. We are happy to pilot a beta!
Is anything being done by Shopify for adding processing time. I agree that you can message the customer all day long but before they hit the submit button they should in advance what the processing time will be before the order goes out the door.
At this time, you have 2 options to consider.
You can add your processing times directly into your checkout language in your theme's settings to add a message to your customers. It's beneficial to tell them know how long it takes for you to process their order and the shipping times to start, so that they can understand when to expect their order to arrive.
Shipping method (Orders shipped within X - X days)or
Shipping method (Orders are processed in X - X business days).
Alternately, you can utilize an app like Order Delivery Date Manager to help you set appropriate processing and shipping time expectations.
Hope that helps!
The other problem here is that carrier delivery days are incorrect, so even if you add 2-5 days processing, the customer thinks they selected "1 business day" service which is how USPS Priority Mail (1-3 Day) automatically pops up with no way to hide.
I (and I know others) would REALLY love to see some actual support from Shopify on resolving these issues.
Thank you and hope someone has the cure.
This solution appears to apply to all products across the board. I have several products with varying handling times.
I am surprised that Shopify doesn't support - at minimum - adding a custom handling time in each product editing page that is then displayed to the customer when viewing the product (Amazon does this). Better yet, it doesn't support shipping profiles that can be customized with not only shipping times & rates but also handling times. The appropriate profile is selected in the product editing page and the handling time and shipping time & rate is then displayed to the customer when viewing the product (Amazon and Etsy do this).
Ideally handling times & shipping times should be configurable on a per product basis.
Is there anything like the two aforementioned features that I mentioned that Shopify has but I'm overlooking?