How to add local pickup for selected products?

saicrish
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Everyone,

how do i add local pickup for selected products?

im finding this hard.

appreciate it thanks,

Sai.

Replies 6 (6)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi Sai,

June here from Shopify.

It’s understandable that you’ve had some difficulty navigating this question since we don’t currently have an option to hand pick products for each shipping method per se. That said, we do have some options!

To better understand exactly what you’re looking for, I’d love to know:

• Will you also offer shipping and/or delivery for these pickup products?
  • How many locations do you currently have in your admin? (Settings > Locations)
  • Is it important to you that customers are able to purchase items for both pickup and shipping in the same order?
  • Why are you wanting to offer local pickup for some products and not others?

With a little more information, I’ll be happy to chat about your options for achieving this!

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

saicrish
Tourist
9 0 1

Thank you so much June. 

1) Yes we also offer shipping to those local pickup products. 

2) One location ACT/Canberra where customers can do local pickup. and one App location which is Oberlo. 

3) Yes customers can purchase for both pickup and shipping in the same order. 

4) We have inventory for some of our products in our local warehouse,  these products can be locally picked up. 

But some of our other products,  we do not have inventory but dropship it using Aliexpress. So local pickup is not available for these products. 

Kindly inform. 

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Thanks so much for these details!

There are a couple key rules to keep in mind when it comes to our own local pickup feature:

• For a customer to see pickup as an available delivery option at checkout, all items in their cart must have available inventory at a single pickup location.
  • It is not currently possible to offer pickup and delivery/shipping within the same cart.

These eligibility requirements are expanded on in our local pickup guide, Checkout experience.

For businesses who want to offer pickup only for certain products, my recommended workaround is to isolate those products into their own location or shipping profile - I won’t go into too much detail about this option since it won’t achieve exactly what you’ve described, but let me know if you’re curious and I’ll be happy to elaborate.

Given that your goal is for products to be available for both pickup and delivery/shipping, I’d recommend an alternative approach: 

Create a “Pickup” shipping rate.

• To do this, you’ll create a custom shipping rate within your existing shipping profile, with your choice to charge a flat rate or offer free “shipping” for pickup.
  • The key dilemma that merchants will sometimes run into with this option is that customers may (intentionally or not) select the incorrect (and more affordable) shipping rate at checkout to complete their order.
  • It’s also worth noting that customers will only have the opportunity to choose one shipping rate at checkout.

Beyond this, you may also want to explore the possibility of using a third-party app. Perhaps one of these options from our App Store will actually be a better fit for your vision, with the opportunity to combine delivery methods at checkout. For each one, I always recommend taking a look at the Media Gallery, as well as any example stores for the full experience.

saicrish
Tourist
9 0 1

Thanks June.

We are considering to use an app to achieve this goal, where customers can order items to be shipped out and also order items to be locally picked up in the same cart.

Are there any apps with a Free plan that can do this?

I did go thro the list of app options you sent as a link but could you recommend one or two apps particularly?

Please let me know.

saicrish
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi June,

Even the paid apps does not offer both local pickup and shipping in the same order.

it gotta be either a local pickup or shipping for all items.

you can not choose to have pickup for some items and shipping for the rest.

how to achieve this?

this is an important feature we want to add in our store.

please let me know.

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @saicrish

I definitely understand why this would be a desirable feature, for both yourself and customers. Do you know any examples of stores that offer pickup and shipping within the same order?

This is not something that we currently offer, and based on your research it sounds like there are not yet any apps that are able to fulfill this function either. We're always very keen to collect feedback from merchants about how you would like to see features evolve in the future, so I have made sure to pass on this request to our team. I appreciate you taking the time to share not only your question but all the additional context we've been able to gather here. 

In the meantime, just to clarify, your customers will need to choose a single delivery method for each order, and are welcome to submit two different orders if they wish to have some items shipped and others ready for pickup.