How to allow only certain payment gateways in certain countries?

ThunderWear
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Shopify Gurus,

I run an Asia wide business on your wonderful platform from Singapore, and there are multiple local ways to pay, particularly as it comes to direct bank transfer through bank apps.

My pain point is this - A) I'd like to save the credit card charge and direct people to only pay with their bank app if paying locally and  B) Suggest local cards for local countries to avoid 'international' credit card charges.

How accomplish this? Surely there is a way and appreciate your advice.  I'd hate to assume the only way to do it would be to open a local website per country.

Thanks,

~ ThunderWear Asia

Replies 6 (6)

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

Hello @ThunderWear!

This is Lana from Shopify.

I just want to confirm for you that at the moment, there is no way to restrict certain countries from using a payment method that is supported in their country on your store. You were also right to assume that currently the only work around would be to have separate stores in order to specify payment methods per country.

However, this is something that we can look into! Would you be able to tell me a little bit more about why the ability to specify payment methods per region would be beneficial to you and your customers? That way, I will be able to pass your feedback along to our developers so that we can hopefully see something like this in the future.

I also wanted to ask about your business - looking at the name 'ThunderWear' I assume you sell clothing? If so, you should definitely check out our Shopify Blog article on 'How to Start a Clothing Business in 2021' - it has some great tips and a particularly interesting section on how to execute a marketing plan and bring in more customers for this kind of business.

If you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks. -Lana

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ThunderWear
Visitor
2 0 0
Thanks Lana.

Yeah, I was reading a few other threads and while it seems like this
solution would help many people, the only solution being proposed is that
of opening many, country specific sites.

As Shopify is a business focused enterprise, my question goes to helping
the business save the 3.2% credit card fee, particularly in one's home
country when customers can just as easily click on (in Singapore) Pay Now
and pay.

I have to have credit cards there as I am an Asia wide platform and people
outside of Singapore could otherwise not pay. These bank pay apps are
sometimes even easier than a credit card cause you can scan a QR code.

As small businesses, we're inching by and every little percent helps us.
I'm not blind to the fact that enacting a feature like this also takes away
from Shopify's and the credit card company's potential earnings, but
looking strictly out for the small business, under your payment section, a
little check box allowing only certain payments locally would help us a lot.

I know it would be possible as you've thought out everything else, but it
comes with potential revenue loss on Shopify's side.

In the meantime, I'll check out the link and sincerely appreciate your
help. As a Canadian, I'm proud Shopify is a great Canadian company
delivering stellar customer service.
Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

I really appreciate you taking the time to outline all of this - I can see what benefit this feature would have for many merchants on the platform. I have sent your feedback to our developers so that we can hopefully see something like this in the future. 

If you would like to stay on top of all updates and check when this feature is added, I recommend you glance at our Shopify Changelog every now and again. It has all updates on changes in new features, so if you check on it regularly you won't miss any changes! 

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

azab1987
Visitor
1 0 1

No Just that for example cash on delivery work in certain countries having a customer use that option in USA while its not supported can hurt the business 

ohengroup
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Lana,

This is a feature that most of us really need. From my side, some payment providers charge very high fees when accepting international bank cards. While I can offer the option for both South African or UK gateways to service my customers from both countries, I cannot stop someone in South Africa using UK gateway or vice versa incurring higher international card fees.

CodeComedian
40 0 1

Hello, navigating payment options for a diverse customer base across Asia without multiplying your store setups is indeed a challenge, but there are ways to streamline this. Using an app like KlinKode PayRules, you can tailor the visibility of payment methods based on the customer’s location. This way, you can promote local bank transfers for customers in Singapore, for example, and suggest local card payments to avoid international charges in other countries.

Check it out here: https://apps.shopify.com/klinkode-payrules

There’s a guide here to get you started:

This approach should help you manage payment options efficiently without needing a separate website for each country. Hope this helps!

- Control payment methods visibility at checkout by KlinKode PayRules app.
- You can join in our Facebook group for Shopify help.