How To Become A Third-Party Payment Provider?

EasyTron
Visitor
1 0 0

My associate has his own payment system and we would like to implement it in my Shopify store. What would be the best way to do this? It appears that the most direct way is to become a third-party payment provider with Shopify. @Helen responded to a similar question here about 2 years ago, however, the method of requesting access to the Shopify Hosted Payment SDK appears to have become unavailable, so looks like the solution is outdated and requires an update.

Replies 3 (3)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @EasyTron,

Thank you for getting in touch. If you're wanting to install a payment gateway into your store for your use only, then this can be done through using custom apps. It's best to use custom apps when you want to add an integration exclusively for your store.

If your associate wanted to make their payment gateway available for other merchants to use, then they would need to build a public app from the Partner dashboard and meet a variety of requirements. I would recommend going down the custom app route if your associate is just wanting to make the gateway available for you and your store.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

migguil
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Victor,

Could you please clarify if it is possible to use the custom app you mention with any type of Shopify Plan? We have a Shopify Basic plan, and we would like to integrate a payments gateway from a provider that is not available as a third party payments platform. We have received feedback from a developer that it is only possible to modify checkouts in Shopify Plus

Thanks!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @migguil,

You are able to install custom apps on your store while on the Basic plan, and you can give a developer the relevant permissions to install the app on your store. Approved Shopify Partners are able to create payments apps that can then be installed on merchants' stores. Do you know if the developer you are speaking with is a Shopify Partner and if they have already built a payments app that is ready to install?

In terms of Shopify Plus, it is true that you need to be on this plan to modify the checkout.liquid section of your Shopify theme's code. This is not something you should need to access though when you are just looking to install a custom app on your store.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog