Solved

How to Direct a specific order to a specific Fulfillment Service on Shopify without an APP

BrianGalaxi
14 0 0

Hello Support,

I have read a  lot of the posts but none has addressed my specific issue, hence my post.

I need some clarification or direction as quickly as possible. The model of my store is dropshipping and I am partnering with more than one business partners(or manufacturers). As such, I am setting up more than one partners as Custom Fulfillment Service. My challenge now is, after an order is made and marked as fulfilled, how does a particular order get sent( emailed) directly to the right partner automatically by the Shopify system?  

Is this possible without an APP? All the community posts I have been reading are all about APPs but I want to know if this is possible on Shopify without an APP.

Or without an APP, this can only be done or achieved manually on an order basis?

All responses and suggestions are much welcome and thank you in advance for your help.

Accepted Solution (1)
Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for the follow up here! Sorry to hear you're still having troubles, and for the delayed response on my part. Where exactly are you getting stuck? Have you setup your store at this point, or are you still trying to see if Shopify will be the right fit for your business?

I've run through a test product on my own store, without tracking quantity, and have been able to assign it a custom fulfillment service. I then made a test order using this product, then requested fulfillment on the order page, and finally received the expected notification through my custom fulfillment service, all without tracking quantity on the product details page. Here is what my inventory section looks like for this example product:

16-36-98084-56076

It is also possible to set the Inventory managed by setting via the bulk editor. You can see in my example product below, that inventory is not being tracked for this product, but is being fulfilled by my custom fulfillment service. Here is a screenshot from the bulk editor: 

16-46-83247-44787

Which step are you getting stuck on? Thank you for you detailed responses thus far, look forward to hearing back. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @BrianGalaxi

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Thanks for reaching out about this, and for taking the time to go through previous topics on this subject. I'd be happy to help out. In short, yes it is possible to set up a custom fulfillment service without the use of an app, as long as the warehouse you’re using can process orders by email. 

You can set up the custom fulfillment service in your admin, and once you mark an order as fulfilled in your Shopify admin, the fulfillment service is sent an email with all the order information so that they can fulfill it for you. You can set which products will be fulfilled by what fulfillment service. 

If you require a more advanced connection than this, you will require the use of an app, or you can hire a Shopify Expert to help you build something custom. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

BrianGalaxi
14 0 0

Hello Hilary,

Thank you for the prompt response.

However, my store model is to drop ship so I don't keep inventory. As such, per the direction given in the reference links or documents, the "Inventory Section " for all products is blurred out( or deactivated) on the product page. Therefore, I can't follow that direction given. 

Is there any other solution for my specific instance?

Any comments or advice from anyone is much welcome too.

Thanks

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Thanks for the follow up. Not sure I quite understand what you mean! Below are a couple clarifying questions: 

• You don't hold or track any inventory, is that correct? Your dropshipping partners manage the inventory? 
  • Do your dropshipping partners notify you when they are sold out of a product, or how do you update the products available on your store? 

If the above answers are generally yes, then you should still be able to use the custom fulfillment option we offer through the admin. The custom fulfillment feature does not allow you to track inventory through the Shopify admin. This means your dropshipping suppliers would need to notify in some way when products are sold out, so you can manually update the availability on your store. 

If you mean that you need to be able to track inventory while using a custom fulfillment service, you will require the use of an app, or a Shopify Expert to help you build something custom, as this is not possible through the natural Shopify admin.

Look forward to hearing back! Hopefully another Community that has experience with this topic can also provide some feedback and advice. 

BrianGalaxi
14 0 0

Hello Hilary,

Please find below the responses to the clarifications you are seeking.

-You don't hold or track any inventory, is that correct?   No, I am NOT holding nor tracking any inventory, you are correct.

- Your dropshipping partners manage the inventory?    Yes, that is how the store is going to operate.

- Do your dropshipping partners notify you when they are sold out of a product?  That is how it's going to be. I am at the moment just setting up the store and not yet in operation.

or

how do you update the products available on your store? I am yet to operationalize the store. The partners will be expected to update me on products availability.

In the document you gave me on "how to set which products will be fulfilled by which partner",  as per the steps below,

Steps:
1. From your store's Products page, select the product to be fulfilled by the custom service.

2. In the Inventory section, select the fulfillment service that you want to use from the Inventory managed by drop-down menu.

3. Click Save to save your changes.

You can see that it requires an active inventory section on the Product page. And this is what I have tried to explain that since I do NOT keep inventory, the inventory section is deactivated on the Products page. Please, take a look at the screenshot.

screenshot_ppage2.jpg

I hope these clarify the issues for you. Do let me know if you need any further clarifications.

Thank you.

BrianGalaxi
14 0 0

Hello Hilary,

Please, any update on this issue for me? I kept checking for a while now.

Anyone who has any ideas on this issue can help in resolving this challenge.

Thank you in advance.

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for the follow up here! Sorry to hear you're still having troubles, and for the delayed response on my part. Where exactly are you getting stuck? Have you setup your store at this point, or are you still trying to see if Shopify will be the right fit for your business?

I've run through a test product on my own store, without tracking quantity, and have been able to assign it a custom fulfillment service. I then made a test order using this product, then requested fulfillment on the order page, and finally received the expected notification through my custom fulfillment service, all without tracking quantity on the product details page. Here is what my inventory section looks like for this example product:

16-36-98084-56076

It is also possible to set the Inventory managed by setting via the bulk editor. You can see in my example product below, that inventory is not being tracked for this product, but is being fulfilled by my custom fulfillment service. Here is a screenshot from the bulk editor: 

16-46-83247-44787

Which step are you getting stuck on? Thank you for you detailed responses thus far, look forward to hearing back. 

BrianGalaxi
14 0 0

Hilary,

Thanks for the response.

The Bulk Editor is a workable solution. 

I appreciate your assistance very much.

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Fantastic, happy to hear that! My pleasure to assist. Thanks for updating the topic as solved. All the best!