How to disable the customer signature in Shopify POS?

robertsonak
Tourist
9 1 5

Good morning,

Can anyone tell me how to disable the customer signature in Shopify POS?

Due to COVID, we had a very upset customer yesterday where it was requiring it, and per PCI compliance, we cannot sign for the customer. 

I have a bad feeling I will have to upgrade to the PRO plan....

Thank you, 

Replies 5 (5)

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @robertsonak.

Thanks for reaching out in our Community forum. It is my understanding that you would prefer to accept payment through your POS system without requiring a signature. I am happy to provide you with some additional information

Before we begin, may I ask where your business is located? Currently, you can accept card payments without a customer's signature if you meet the following requirements:

• Your store is located in the United States.
  • You're using Shopify Payments.
  • You're using an EMV card reader (If you're not using an EMV card reader, then you can accept card payments without a signature only for amounts under 25).

If you meet these requirements, you can find the option to toggle this setting off by following these steps: 

1. From Shopify POS, tap  > Settings > Payment settings.
  2. In the Default Payment Types section, tap Credit/debit.
  3. Tap the toggle to enable or disable Skip customer signatures when possible.

Please let me know if that helps, Robert. In the meantime, I'd love to hear more about your business! How has everything been going?

Talk soon,

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

robertsonak
Tourist
9 1 5

Hi Luna, 

Let me answer your questions:

• Your store is located in the United States. YES
  • You're using Shopify Payments. YES
  • You're using an EMV card reader (If you're not using an EMV card reader, then you can accept card payments without a signature only for amounts under 25). We are using the white Shopify Chip and Swipe Reader which shows it is EMV certified.

A couple of notes:

• most all transactions are over $25
  • When I go into POS, tap  > Settings > Payment settings, I get the message "Upgrade to POS Pro" and I can go no further. 

With this said, I am assuming (1) I have yet again bought the wrong equipment that Shopify Support told me to buy and / or  (2) Shopify does not feel removing a signature during COVID is important unless you pay more per month?

Thank you, 

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @robertsonak.

Thanks for getting back to me. I've confirmed with my retail team that you should have this option, regardless of the plan you are on. To clarify, you shouldn't have to upgrade to enable this feature. If you are unable to access your payment settings for the POS, there may be something else going on. We’ll need to access your account in order to get some further insight. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support through the Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. 

Please let me know how that goes, and if you have any questions in the meantime. 

robertsonak
Tourist
9 1 5

Good morning Luna, 

I wanted to provide an update on this request in that we have figured out the issue. I spoke with Julian H. last night with customer service as directed, and he was going to touch base with you as well. 

The issue was I was going into the "Admin" settings and then trying to go into the "POS," and then "POS Settings." This is where I was getting the message to upgrade. 

What I should have done is gone into the Shopify POS App and not the web based Admin page. From the app on the device, I was able to adjust and turn off signature required.  When we open today, we will test to ensure all is good. What is interesting is you have to do this under each user id. 

As a takeaway point, and from someone that has built brick and mortar business' over the years, it is hard to understand and really see the break between going into admin functions and going into individual apps. Also, it helps to know that things are not just "register" driven as traditional POS systems, but are more User ID driven.

We have this solved and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help with this issue.  Also, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I can discuss the launch of the POS system. As we have gone through the launch, we have learned many good and bad things. 

Have a great day, 

robertsonak

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @robertsonak.

Thank you so much for getting back to me with this context. I'm happy to hear that you were able to disable the signature option. I also appreciate all the feedback you've shared. We pride ourselves on the continued growth and development of our platform, and we are only able to strive towards this goal through receiving feedback like this. I'm going to pass your thoughts, and if you have anything else that you'd like me to share, I'm happy to do so. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with for the time being!

Warmly,