How to remove a package size from the saved packages?

rbaez
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi there!

I was recently running some tests on a store's shipping profile and decided to add a "Carrier Package"(UPS) to the saved packages section. Doing so immediately changed the available shipping methods at checkout. I could not find a way to revert my first action as there is no "edit/remove" option. Is there a way to remove it?

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.04.41.png

Replies 45 (45)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @rbaez

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Great question, usually there should be an edit option next to each of the packages. Let's see what we can do here. 

We can tell by the grey text that says, "the package is used to calculate shipping rates at checkout" that this package has been made your default package size. To remove the package, you'll first need to assign one of your other packages as the default package size. You can do this by clicking Edit next to the package that should be the default size, and then selecting Use this package to calculate rates at checkout. After this, click Save.

Once you have changed the default package, try refreshing the page. Does an edit option now appear next to the box you'd like to remove? If so, you should be able to click Edit > Delete package. If not, please send a screenshot of what you are seeing and we can go from there. 

Below is a screenshot of the Edit pop-up box: 

07-50-60357-62545 

Let me know how this goes, and if you have any questions!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

baileynmarks
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello,

Before I was able to not have a saved package and it just let me manually do the weight.. my products do not need priority mail and only cost around 3.75 first class to ship. how do I get rid of the saved packages completely and go back to the old way I was doing it?

Thank you,

Bailey Marks 

EmB17
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, 

I have the same question! Did you find something to return to the old version?

CalebsJunkDump
Visitor
1 0 3

I tried doing this and it just made a different package rate that I could edit but still not delete.
Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.49.18 PM.png

25andPine
Tourist
6 0 4

I'm having the exact same issue

ogeid
Shopify Partner
68 0 22

I had the same issue. It turns out once you add a package size you will always have to have a package size. You can add a smaller one, but you can't go back to none.

D.E.W. L.A. - Web Design
https://dew.la
scopic
Visitor
1 0 2

Same problem, this needs to be fixed. Now all shipping is off. Once a package is added there is no way to go back to the starting state of having no packages. Front end issue

breedingempire
Visitor
1 0 2

Did this get fixed? All my shipping is off and there is no way to delete them. We use soooo many different sizes of boxes. What should we do? 

ogeid
Shopify Partner
68 0 22

This is very annoying.  After a long, long chat session with Shopify support, the best they could offer was to replace the existing package size with one like this. At least the freight calculation seems to work. I hope it's not under quoting now.

packages.png

D.E.W. L.A. - Web Design
https://dew.la

Tobi02
Tourist
4 1 1

I need help with the same thing! How do I remove it?

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi all,

As of right now, there is no way to remove or delete the initial saved package. Although, any subsequent packages that have been created will have the option to delete. 

Ren_0-1651208472584.png

The best workaround at this time is to simply name the default package "sample" or "test". In the event that you're going to require a package again, you can go back in and edit the parameters to reflect the new/accurate packaging. 

That being said, I recognize this is a pain point. I'd love some more feedback on why specifically the option to completely revert back to "no packages" is required. Any details on how or why it's disrupting store function will be helpful as I will be taking this feedback to our appropriate teams for consideration on future platform updates. Thanks in advance! 

25andPine
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi Ren - this is incredibly frustrating. We offer multiple product all which are very different in box size and weight. For now, I have to set this as our most expensive largest box size and weight to make sure we don’t lose money on the bigger items from shipping. I need to be able to remove this feature. I was testing it out and had I known it would be “locked in” I definitely wouldn’t have chosen it and now it’s over charging or undercharging shipping for every single sale we make. Please fix this. 

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Thanks very much for the feedback, @25andPine. I absolutely understand the frustration and I appreciate the time you took to detail the issue. This will enable me to provide a more specific description when I report the feedback to the appropriate team. 

When you get a chance, can you provide some screenshots that coincide with the issue? Please be sure to blur out any personal or store details. Thank you!

25andPine
Tourist
6 0 4

image.jpg

Hi Ren - these are just a few of the 10 different package sizes we ship in. And we need to be able to remove this. Thanks- Kristina

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi Kristina, 

Thanks very much for the screenshot.

To clarify, none of the packages shown or any of the 10 sizes provide the option to remove/delete?

Is "Liz Tables" the initial one you created? Will it allow you to change the details to the smallest numerals you can and save it as a "test" or "sample" box?

For further context, I am including our Help Doc steps on how to edit which package you want to use as your default, for producing your shipping labels as you can set your default package for Shopify Shipping to be a specific package, or to always be the last package that was used when you purchase a new label:

Example: Corben has created two packages for his products: a small box and an envelope. He has set his default shipping package for Shopify Shipping to be the last package that was used. When Corben fulfills his orders, he starts with all the orders that require an envelope. For the first order, he selects the envelope as the package for the shipping label. For each label after that, the envelope is the default package. When Corben switches to fulfilling the orders that require a small box, he selects the small box as the package for the shipping label. For each label after that, the small box is the default package.

To edit your default package settings, you need to have an order that requires a shipping label.

Steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
  2. Click an unfulfilled order that requires a Shopify Shipping shipping label.
  3. Click Create shipping label.
  4. Optional: To add a new package that will become the default package, click Add package, enter the package details, and then click Add package.
  5. In the Package and weight section, click drop-down list, and then click Set default package.
  6. Select a method for determining the default package:
    • To use the same default package every time you purchase a label, then select A specific package, and then choose the package from the drop-down menu.
    • To change the default package based on the package used in the previous shipping label, then select Last used package.
  7. Click Save.

Let me know if the steps above were successful. Any additional details to describe your screenshot will be very helpful. Thank you!

madebyhoop
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi Ren

I have also been testing the Package size feature and had added multiple package sizes (for each product we make. After realising that this feature only allows you to choose one default package size, I decided that we can't use it. However, I can't seem to remove the last package size as it is the proxy default size - there is no option to delete it.

madebyhoop_0-1652183866418.png

Our site uses a live/ calculated shipping rate in my checkout provided by a third-party courier app and it is now using this package size for every order made. The solution you provided above is not going to work for my site. How can I remove the package size?

Regards

Patrick 

madebyhoop
Tourist
6 0 4

@Ren , this feature would be useful to a store that use an automatic/live shipping rate if it allowed to use multiple different package sizes (not just one default) and allocate those to the products. Is that possible? Or something similar to this?

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hello @madebyhoop@25andPine 

I've been digging further into this issue and have come up with some more options to consider as a workaround. I do understand workarounds aren't ideal, but I recognize how important this issue is and hope some of my suggestions will help improve your processes. 

One option you can try is setting the default package to a general/medium size and this will account for all types of packaging. Then, add a handling fee to your carrier rate in the custom profile. The idea is to help account for the gap between the shipping rate the customer pays and the cost of the label. You can learn how to mark up your calculated rates using the handling fee option here.

With the activation of carrier calculated rates, you can utilize specific apps to help mitigate this issue. Boxify 
supports multiple carriers and enables you to quote accurate shipping costs, based on a variety of package shapes and sizes.  
EasyShip is another app to consider, it's free to use and boasts many automations, including shipping rules for package sizes.

Finally, if you know about an order in advance of it being placed and it's going to have some complicated shipping, you can always opt to draft an order and price the shipping accordingly to accommodate it. 

That being said, I am compiling the feedback in this thread to pass on to the appropriate teams as a recognized pain point with hopes to see adjustments to this issue in future updates. Thank you!

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick update to say thank you for sharing your feedback and bringing this issue to our attention. I have submitted the details to the appropriate teams for review. 

I'll return here with any updates as they come. If there is anything else I can assist with, don't hesitate to ask!

madebyhoop
Tourist
6 0 4

Thanks @Ren , really looking forward to the updates!

Hopefully they can update the feature to be able to input multiple different package sizes/weights and allocate these to the products in our stores. That would be a useful package feature, which the current one unfortunately isn't due to the limitations on package variants.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

You're very welcome! I definitely recognize that this is a prevalent ask and will be keeping tabs on any relevant progress made so I can update everyone respectively. 

Hopefully some of my suggestions above can help as temporary workarounds in the meantime. If at any time you come across additional points, be sure to drop them in here!

KevinLM
Tourist
3 0 4

Just wanted to give you my notes on this issue.  We are setting up a store and added packages to the shipping profile.  We were told by support that you should choose the package you use the most as the one for Use this package to calculate rates at checkout.

At this point I think this whole setup with Shopify is flawed, as once you set that option - ALL of your shipping calculations are done based on that package.

For us, we ship strictly with USPS Priority Flat Rate shipping.  This means that in the US, we can ship anything up to 70 lbs in the USPS flat rate envelopes/packages.

Most of our orders are small, so most are shipped with the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope.  So this is the option we chose as Use this package to calculate rates at checkout.

I can see where the Shopify solution is basic in the US because when pulling the rates from USPS, it seems Shopify is only basing it on weight.  Technically, if you could shove 69 lbs of stuff in an envelope, you could send it with USPS.  So when using this, Shopify essentially ALWAYS gives the customer the rate based on that Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope.  It's usually $8.45.

However, if the customer does order more items that we have to ship in a Medium or Large flat rate package, they are still only charged the rate based on the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope, which is $8.45.  However, if we needed to use a Large Flat rate box, we would end up paying $19.60 to ship it.  So because of this, I don't think we can use carrier rates domestically and now have to come up with our own shipping matrix.  Not fun!

International Shipping is just broken!

What is worse is international shipping.  With USPS Priority International, the weight limits vary.  So with a Priority Mail International® Padded Flat Rate Envelope, you can only ship up to 4 lbs.  Well, because our default package is setup as the Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope, if a customer adds enough product to equal more than 4 lbs, Shopify says: This order can’t be shipped to the address you entered.  Why, because Shopify is basing EVERYTHING off of the default package!!

As for the previous suggestions:

Use a custom package with 0.1x0.1x0.1 dimensions:  this essentially negates any benefit of the Priority Mail Flat Rate service, as now all rates are calculated based on weight and distance.  So that original $8.45 package, is now closer to $10.60 charged to the customer.  So now they are overcharged shipping.

Select a larger package as default: again, this is silly, as most of our orders are smaller.  Now if we chose the Medium Flat rate box as default, someone who should be charged only $8.45 for an envelope, is now charged $16.10 for a medium box, even though we would never use that.

Use a 3rd party app: NOPE!  Not going to have my client rely on a 3rd party AND pay even more money for something so basic.

I understand that the USPS is complicating things with allowing 70 lbs to ship at these rates, but by forcing use to pick a default package is just complicating and in the case of International, BREAKING shipping completely.

We are obviously going to have to not only come up with our own shipping rates for domestic, but also international - which is where we really could rely on carrier based rates.

I'm embarrassed to have to discuss this at all with my client.  Shopify in 2022 should be better at this.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @KevinLM

Just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge your post and thank you for your valuable feedback.

I have updated my last submission to our Developers and will keep an eye on any changes or updates. It's definitely the type of improvements we like to implement.

Once I have any updates I will thread them here. You can also keep tabs on this as well as all Shopify updates here in our Changelog.

Thanks again for contributing your feedback!

Mireta
Excursionist
20 0 1

Hi @KevinLM ,

Were you able to figure it out?
Having same issue, this is ridicules.
Thanks! 

KevinLM
Tourist
3 0 4

No we haven't.  Long ago we just setup manually shipping rates and have left those in place.  I'm not aware of any changes that Shopify has made to fix the original issue.

Mireta
Excursionist
20 0 1

Hi @KevinLM,
I just received a response from a Shopify representative, and I have to say, I find it very disappointing and ridiculous.

After conducting a thorough investigation with our Shipping team, they have confirmed that it is not possible to remove a store package once one has been set. When there is no package set up, the default package used is the sample box, which has the following dimensions: Length: 8.6in, Width: 5.4in, Height: 1.6in, and Weight: 187g that is why the other store is working without adding a package on it.

Once you add a package, it cannot be removed, as there always needs to be a default package. However, you can change the default package to have the same dimensions as the sample box, but you cannot remove the package altogether.

We understand the need and convenience of being able to revert or remove the default package, and I would like to take this opportunity to inform our developers about this. I will forward all of this information to our development team for future consideration. Please note that there is no guarantee that these changes can be made, and I cannot provide a timeline for when they would start working on it, if at all. However, it could be a positive step towards a helpful change for merchants like yourself.

KevinLM
Tourist
3 0 4

I also wanted to point out a very obvious flaw that's not directly related to our specific use of USPS Priority Mail only.

If you wanted to offer your customers a choice of carrier based rates from USPS, UPS and DHL - you can't if you choose your default package as something from a specific carrier. 

Let's say we ship most items in USPS Priority Padded Envelopes.  However, we wanted to give customers the ability to have something shipped to them overnight via UPS. If you have a USPS Priority Envelope as your default because that's what most items ship as, the customer will NEVER SEE the rates for UPS!

You HAVE to use a generic packaging to see multiple carrier rates and once you do that, you lose any benefit of the flat rates from USPS.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Just noting that I have also included this feedback in my submission to our Developers.

Thank you, @KevinLM! Have a fantastic week. 

ApolloMobile
Visitor
1 0 0

My company is having the same problem.  I distribute for 17 different manufactures and now have a sales volume over 100K a month.  I am getting ready to scrap shopify and go to a competitor if this is not resolved so you may lose a significant income from me just doing my card processing alone....  I would love to be updated as to the timeline for the repair.

madebyhoop
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi @Ren 

I hope you are safe and well.

We've spoken on this thread before and I am just following up on any progress to the package size feature. Has an update been made yet, or is there a timeline for this to be initiated by the dev team? I am not going to use the 'add package size' button to test whether an update has been made, as this caused me some problems last time 🙂

I want to use it as soon as an option/capacity for multiple variants is available as it will mean the feature is actually useful to me. Plus, it would go a long way to streamline our store's order fulfilment process. 

Thanks and warm regards

Pat from hoop

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

@ApolloMobile @madebyhoop

Hello again, thanks for checking in! I am actively keeping an eye on this and fully intend to update this thread with any significant progress. At this time, I can say that it's a widely occurring and highly requested and I will continue to monitor this on my end. 

In case I hadn't mentioned it before, you can also check the changelog to see any and all up-and-coming changes. I wish I had more concrete news to share and appreciate the check-in and your patience. Cheers for now.

25andPine
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi - Any updates on this? We started selling smaller items that is charging ridiculous shipping charges now and customers are not purchasing regardless of me saying I will refund shipping overages, adding additional notifications and messages. Please fix this. 

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi there, 

No updates at this time though I am actively keeping an eye on this.

I fully understand the predicament you're in with adding smaller items to sell and the way it complicates your rates. Are the items small enough to offer a flat rate? Depending on the postal service you use, items that can be packaged and measure under a certain parameter will qualify for a "lettermail" fee. 

If you are finding your sales are being affected, I would highly encourage you to considered a third party app in the meantime that can help improve your shipping rates. Advanced Shipping Rules may be a helpful option for only $9/monthly.

While I recognize the additional cost is undesirable, something you can consider trying to mitigate this is to add a small handling fee to your calculated rates. Your rates can still remain reasonable and the small fee collected from each sale would add up to offset the cost of the app.

Hope that makes sense and thanks for continuing to share your feedback here. 

mbritt
Visitor
2 0 1

Can we please get a timeline for a fix? All we need here is to be able to unclick "Use this package to calculate rates at checkout" on the currently assigned and greyed out option for the current default. This has pretty massive impacts on stores like ours with lots of products in different sizes and all matter of order configurations. Asking vendors to pay for a 3rd party app that can cost upwards of 100$ a year in lieu of fixing this obviously impactful bug seems pretty ridiculous. 

The initial post is over a year old, please give us a timeline or as others have stated, finding a new platform that responds to support requests may be on the agenda. 

Marbllle
Visitor
1 0 2

Ren, please just tell coding it's a simple fix. We all just need to be able to revert back to how we all had the shipping set up for our multiple products. So basically, in layman's terms, have the checkbox be active so we can check/ uncheck it if we make a mistake.  "Use this package to calculate rates at checkout" needs to active so we can decide for ourselves if we need to use that or not. We as small businesses do not want to undercharge and lose money, and we do not want to overcharge our customers. Please. Simply stop stealing money from Shopify clients (those of us who use Shopify) by never addressing this major issue. 

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

Hi @Marbllle @Ren 

I 100% agree with Marbllle, the "Saved Package" now means our shipping carrier is no longer usable? Do the shipping carriers know about this? 

It's a little concerning given the amount of money many Shopify Users pay for the app and access to get shipping carrier rates that are not supported via Shopify Shipping, and I find it odd that it cannot be undone given that we didn't actually have a default "Saved Package" 48 hours ago and our shipping worked fine.

Without a workaround - my client's store is now locked into having to use the Shopify preferred options that do not transport the items sold in our store. And without these shipping options or a workaround, the majority (approx 60-70%) of the online customers can no longer shop with my client - and it goes against Shopify's "Start and grow your eComm business" philosophy.

The other alternative is we list 1650+ individual custom shipping rates for each item and state in Australia - which isn't at all sustainable. 

Having a look at the code, can we remove the need to make it default??

https://shopify.dev/api/admin-graphql/2023-01/mutations/shippingPackageUpdate

michellebirch
Excursionist
11 0 21

Hi @Ren 

Was looking at this again - if the "default" setting for Saved Packages cannot be removed, what are the possibilities of an if/else statement to prioritise any Carrier rates that are listed in the General Shipping options using a null function, being implemented/coded in?

eg/ a possible statement could be - if the Carrier and app rates section is active and not empty, and has carrier app rates listed, it will use these rates and ignore any Saved Packaged rates, else it will go to the rates specified under "Your rates" and so on.

Any info is much appreciated, I have 12 clients that will be affected by this if there is no resolution. I have advised them to not touch the "Saved Packages" section and to not select any options, which seems to keep the Carrier rates intact. 

Many thanks

Michelle

mbritt
Visitor
2 0 1

@Rencan we please get some sort of update or timeline for when this will be addressed? If this cannot be fixed quickly we may have to more our e-commerce to another site as this is extremely problematic for our shop. As many have noted here, this should be a fairly simple option to fix and should be prioritized so that those of us paying for the use of Shopify have the full functionality...

Rob162
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Ren ,

Still no update??

This is ridiculous... it should be easy to fix.

Please respond with logical alternative thank you

Mireta
Excursionist
20 0 1

Hi @Ren ,

Hi @KevinLM ,

Any update on this issue?
Having same issue, this is ridicules.
Thanks! 

25andPine
Tourist
6 0 4

@Ren its crazy that this STILL isn’t fixed. We are required to now pay $20/month to boxify just to make our website work. 

maisonepoxy
Visitor
2 0 1

After months no real solution? what a **bleep** joke

batesgis
Visitor
1 0 0

no kidding.... 

FrankXu1977
Visitor
1 0 0

Edit/Delete is available from Settings->Shipping and Delivery->Saved packages.

Mireta
Excursionist
20 0 1

You can't delete it when you only have 1 package. I need 0 packages. Need to go back to default, no packages at all.