How to remove a package size from the saved packages?

rbaez
1 0 0

Hi there!

I was recently running some tests on a store's shipping profile and decided to add a "Carrier Package"(UPS) to the saved packages section. Doing so immediately changed the available shipping methods at checkout. I could not find a way to revert my first action as there is no "edit/remove" option. Is there a way to remove it?

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 13.04.41.png

Replies 26 (26)
Hilary
Community Manager
Community Manager
549 78 113

Hi, @rbaez

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Great question, usually there should be an edit option next to each of the packages. Let's see what we can do here. 

We can tell by the grey text that says, "the package is used to calculate shipping rates at checkout" that this package has been made your default package size. To remove the package, you'll first need to assign one of your other packages as the default package size. You can do this by clicking Edit next to the package that should be the default size, and then selecting Use this package to calculate rates at checkout. After this, click Save.

Once you have changed the default package, try refreshing the page. Does an edit option now appear next to the box you'd like to remove? If so, you should be able to click Edit > Delete package. If not, please send a screenshot of what you are seeing and we can go from there. 

Below is a screenshot of the Edit pop-up box: 

07-50-60357-62545 

Let me know how this goes, and if you have any questions!

Hilary | Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

baileynmarks
1 0 1

Hello,

Before I was able to not have a saved package and it just let me manually do the weight.. my products do not need priority mail and only cost around 3.75 first class to ship. how do I get rid of the saved packages completely and go back to the old way I was doing it?

Thank you,

Bailey Marks 

EmB17
1 0 0

Hello, 

I have the same question! Did you find something to return to the old version?

CalebsJunkDump
1 0 2

I tried doing this and it just made a different package rate that I could edit but still not delete.
Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 12.49.18 PM.png

25andPine
Tourist
3 0 2

I'm having the exact same issue

ogeid
Shopify Partner
47 0 12

I had the same issue. It turns out once you add a package size you will always have to have a package size. You can add a smaller one, but you can't go back to none.

D.E.W. L.A. - Web Design
https://dew.la
scopic
1 0 1

Same problem, this needs to be fixed. Now all shipping is off. Once a package is added there is no way to go back to the starting state of having no packages. Front end issue

ogeid
Shopify Partner
47 0 12

This is very annoying.  After a long, long chat session with Shopify support, the best they could offer was to replace the existing package size with one like this. At least the freight calculation seems to work. I hope it's not under quoting now.

packages.png

D.E.W. L.A. - Web Design
https://dew.la
breedingempire
1 0 1

Did this get fixed? All my shipping is off and there is no way to delete them. We use soooo many different sizes of boxes. What should we do? 

Tobi02
Tourist
4 1 0

I need help with the same thing! How do I remove it?

Ren
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
805 54 124

Hi all,

As of right now, there is no way to remove or delete the initial saved package. Although, any subsequent packages that have been created will have the option to delete. 

Ren_0-1651208472584.png

The best workaround at this time is to simply name the default package "sample" or "test". In the event that you're going to require a package again, you can go back in and edit the parameters to reflect the new/accurate packaging. 

That being said, I recognize this is a pain point. I'd love some more feedback on why specifically the option to completely revert back to "no packages" is required. Any details on how or why it's disrupting store function will be helpful as I will be taking this feedback to our appropriate teams for consideration on future platform updates. Thanks in advance! 

Ren | Social Care @ Shopify 

25andPine
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Ren - this is incredibly frustrating. We offer multiple product all which are very different in box size and weight. For now, I have to set this as our most expensive largest box size and weight to make sure we don’t lose money on the bigger items from shipping. I need to be able to remove this feature. I was testing it out and had I known it would be “locked in” I definitely wouldn’t have chosen it and now it’s over charging or undercharging shipping for every single sale we make. Please fix this. 

Ren
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
805 54 124

Thanks very much for the feedback, @25andPine. I absolutely understand the frustration and I appreciate the time you took to detail the issue. This will enable me to provide a more specific description when I report the feedback to the appropriate team. 

When you get a chance, can you provide some screenshots that coincide with the issue? Please be sure to blur out any personal or store details. Thank you!

25andPine
Tourist
3 0 2

image.jpg

Hi Ren - these are just a few of the 10 different package sizes we ship in. And we need to be able to remove this. Thanks- Kristina

Ren
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
805 54 124

Hi Kristina, 

Thanks very much for the screenshot.

To clarify, none of the packages shown or any of the 10 sizes provide the option to remove/delete?

Is "Liz Tables" the initial one you created? Will it allow you to change the details to the smallest numerals you can and save it as a "test" or "sample" box?

For further context, I am including our Help Doc steps on how to edit which package you want to use as your default, for producing your shipping labels as you can set your default package for Shopify Shipping to be a specific package, or to always be the last package that was used when you purchase a new label:

Example: Corben has created two packages for his products: a small box and an envelope. He has set his default shipping package for Shopify Shipping to be the last package that was used. When Corben fulfills his orders, he starts with all the orders that require an envelope. For the first order, he selects the envelope as the package for the shipping label. For each label after that, the envelope is the default package. When Corben switches to fulfilling the orders that require a small box, he selects the small box as the package for the shipping label. For each label after that, the small box is the default package.

To edit your default package settings, you need to have an order that requires a shipping label.

Steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
  2. Click an unfulfilled order that requires a Shopify Shipping shipping label.
  3. Click Create shipping label.
  4. Optional: To add a new package that will become the default package, click Add package, enter the package details, and then click Add package.
  5. In the Package and weight section, click drop-down list, and then click Set default package.
  6. Select a method for determining the default package:
    • To use the same default package every time you purchase a label, then select A specific package, and then choose the package from the drop-down menu.
    • To change the default package based on the package used in the previous shipping label, then select Last used package.
  7. Click Save.

Let me know if the steps above were successful. Any additional details to describe your screenshot will be very helpful. Thank you!

madebyhoop
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Ren

I have also been testing the Package size feature and had added multiple package sizes (for each product we make. After realising that this feature only allows you to choose one default package size, I decided that we can't use it. However, I can't seem to remove the last package size as it is the proxy default size - there is no option to delete it.

madebyhoop_0-1652183866418.png

Our site uses a live/ calculated shipping rate in my checkout provided by a third-party courier app and it is now using this package size for every order made. The solution you provided above is not going to work for my site. How can I remove the package size?

Regards

Patrick 

madebyhoop
Tourist
5 0 1

@Ren , this feature would be useful to a store that use an automatic/live shipping rate if it allowed to use multiple different package sizes (not just one default) and allocate those to the products. Is that possible? Or something similar to this?

Ren
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
805 54 124

Hello @madebyhoop@25andPine 

I've been digging further into this issue and have come up with some more options to consider as a workaround. I do understand workarounds aren't ideal, but I recognize how important this issue is and hope some of my suggestions will help improve your processes. 

One option you can try is setting the default package to a general/medium size and this will account for all types of packaging. Then, add a handling fee to your carrier rate in the custom profile. The idea is to help account for the gap between the shipping rate the customer pays and the cost of the label. You can learn how to mark up your calculated rates using the handling fee option here.

With the activation of carrier calculated rates, you can utilize specific apps to help mitigate this issue. Boxify 
supports multiple carriers and enables you to quote accurate shipping costs, based on a variety of package shapes and sizes.  
EasyShip is another app to consider, it's free to use and boasts many automations, including shipping rules for package sizes.

Finally, if you know about an order in advance of it being placed and it's going to have some complicated shipping, you can always opt to draft an order and price the shipping accordingly to accommodate it. 

That being said, I am compiling the feedback in this thread to pass on to the appropriate teams as a recognized pain point with hopes to see adjustments to this issue in future updates. Thank you!

Ren
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
805 54 124

Hi everyone, 

Just a quick update to say thank you for sharing your feedback and bringing this issue to our attention. I have submitted the details to the appropriate teams for review. 

I'll return here with any updates as they come. If there is anything else I can assist with, don't hesitate to ask!