Solved

I need help changing my store currency to ZAR Rands South Africa

Chris272
Visitor
3 0 0

I've tried to change it but it says You’ve made your first sale, so you need to contact support if you want to change your currency.

The thing is i have not made any sale as my store is still locked.

Any help in this regards thank you.

nrdiamonds.com

Accepted Solution (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Chris272.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you're looking to change your store's currency; yet our system is indicating that you've made your first sale. Just to confirm, did you process any test orders?

Before moving forward with changing your store's currency, I would like to let you know of a few things that might occur and the steps you need to take after making the change. While this may not impact you as much, as you haven't made your first sale. Nevertheless, for other community members that may come across this thread - these are some of the main impacts when changing the currency after the first sale: 

• Reporting
    When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say the next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward. You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch.
  • Product Pricing
    Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.
  • Apps
    Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you need to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

When making any adjustments to your product pricing, you would need to consider the difference in currency. You would also want to review your product pages, themes, etc for currency information, that may need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will also be processed in the new currency.

If this is okay with you, then this is something that our Support team can help you with. While I'm unable to help with making account changes of this nature, as we aren't able to provide account-specific support via the Community Forums. However, our Support team would happy to assist you with this through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account. 

I'd love to know if our Support team can help identify why our system indicates that you've made your first sale, and assist you with switching currency. Keep me posted!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Chris272.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you're looking to change your store's currency; yet our system is indicating that you've made your first sale. Just to confirm, did you process any test orders?

Before moving forward with changing your store's currency, I would like to let you know of a few things that might occur and the steps you need to take after making the change. While this may not impact you as much, as you haven't made your first sale. Nevertheless, for other community members that may come across this thread - these are some of the main impacts when changing the currency after the first sale: 

• Reporting
    When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say the next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward. You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch.
  • Product Pricing
    Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.
  • Apps
    Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you need to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

When making any adjustments to your product pricing, you would need to consider the difference in currency. You would also want to review your product pages, themes, etc for currency information, that may need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will also be processed in the new currency.

If this is okay with you, then this is something that our Support team can help you with. While I'm unable to help with making account changes of this nature, as we aren't able to provide account-specific support via the Community Forums. However, our Support team would happy to assist you with this through live chat, email, or callback. To create a support request, please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account. 

I'd love to know if our Support team can help identify why our system indicates that you've made your first sale, and assist you with switching currency. Keep me posted!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog