Why does Shopify inventory reset to zero without sales?

DocSimpson
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

I keep having an issue where Shopify will change inventory of specific items to zero when none have been sold.  I only find out when I get emails asking why it is out of stock.  I have updated/reset the inventory three times, and then it goes to zero when none have been sold.  Anyone?

Replies 3 (3)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hi, @DocSimpson. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for creating a topic about this; It sounds very unusual!

In order to know how to start going about troubleshooting, could you please let me know:

• Are you dropshipping? Or do you keep track of your inventory, and ship your products yourself?
  • Are you using any third party apps for tracking or managing your inventory?
  • What theme are you using? Have you made any coding customizations to it lately?
  • Please provide an example by posting the link to one of the products within your store that the inventory is unexpectedly adjusting.

I look forward to working through this with you.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

DocSimpson
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Helen,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  

1)The glitch does not happen for anything I am drop shipping.

2)I sell martial arts gear and first id kits which I fulfill on my own.  When someone purchases one, the inventory for that item goes from whatever it was (10, 15, etc) to "-1" or "0".  Happens every time.  So, every time I sell something, I have to go back and manually update the inventory. 

Thoughts?

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @DocSimpson. No worries! Thanks for getting back to me with the additional information. What’s happening with your inventory definitely does sound unexpected. 

The first thing to take a look at is your Inventory History for those products. It will give us a better understanding of how the system handled the inventory after purchase. Here’s how to view the Inventory History for a product:

• Go to Products in your admin
  • Click on the name of the product 
  • In the Inventory section, click on View inventory history, as seen here:

21-02-euwbn-ogfzo

Let me know what you find. If the inventory activity for the product still doesn’t make any sense, please provide a screenshot of it, and we will continue to troubleshoot.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.