Is there a way to set shop pay to accept credit cards ONLY from specific countries?

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

I only ship to the US and Canada, I would prefer that anyone placing an order resides within those 2 countries and has a credit card that is issued by those countries only, but I find that I am receiving payments from other countries shipping to US address (possibly freight forwarder or internet friend that will fwd) I do not want to allow this.  This is too risky for me. How do I set Shop Pay to only accept credit cards issued in the US and CA
TIA?

Replies 7 (7)

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @TAGSAngel.

Olivia here from the Shopify Team.

Thanks for your question. While it's not currently possible to limit which countries you want to accept credit card payment from through Shopify Payments, I can definitely provide you with some potential solutions.

Address Verification System (AVS) with Shopify Payments

Shopify Payments can do enhanced fraud analysis checks to let you know if an order is potentially fraudulent. Address Verification System (AVS) compares the numeric part of the customer’s billing address and zip code or postal code to the information on file with the credit card issuer. This helps reduce a significant amount of fraud, because unauthorized users often don't have the correct billing address.

Use an App

A free app, such as Fraud Filter, allows you to create custom filters to automatically cancel orders that don't meet certain billing or shipping criteria. It's completely custom, so you can set up the rules that are best for your business.

Manually Capture Payments

In addition to the Fraud Filter app, consider manually capturing payments via Shopify Payments. This allows you to review orders before they are processed to avoid later cancelling and refunding and save on transaction fees for unwanted orders.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

Thank you @Olivia for your reply but unfortunately these don't work.  
1. I already have Fraud Filters set up.  I only allow orders where the AVS / CVV ETC match.  Anyone who doesn't these days is negligent in my opinion.  
This particular order has a matching avs for the billing address from a country I don't ship to  but the order is shipping to a country I do  The fraud filters show 1 red and 1 gray flag. but an additional flag as far as I'm concerned from my understanding of buying patterns.  If you're in the UK and ship to Kansas, you don't order something that says South Dakota.... (not under normal circumstances anyway)  The buyer is not a registered tennant at the shipping address, nor is he a listed relative of the home owner. (I am diligent, I do my own fraud checks too)  I do not want to allow items to be shipped to freight forwarders. but I can't cut out shipping to a gift recipient.

2. In the past I have shipped to the billing address, had orders marked delivered by USPS and lost chargebacks for claim of non delivery or claim for fraud so....
the fraud analysis is a false sense of security.
If Fraud Analysis/Filter says the order is good, then I should have merchant protection against Bogus Claims such as this.
If USPS ( a government agency ) Says the order is delivered how do I loose a charge back for non delivery? That's just dishonest on the charging banks part. Legally they cannot side with the buyer there .. Sorry.. that's just infuriating.  And since shop pay refuses to give the bank / charge back information (to protect the privacy of the buyer's bank.... you mean the one that just defrauded me?) or file an appeal basically the merchant is just SOL. 

3.  The Fraud Filter is not set up with Continent so I'm not going to go and find out the country code of every country Accept US & CA and list them.

4. Since it takes several days for me to create the items I'm selling doing a manual capture wont work as the funds may be there at the time of placing the order but not when it's made. So the only thing that will help is avoid the processing fee but might end up costing me more in the long run because then I'll have a created product and no funds to pay for it. Plus it's double work for me.

I truly appreciate your trying to help but shopify (and all parties involved - credit card merchants, banks, shipping companies, shopping cart developers of all kinds) need to actually run a business, or have lengthy discussions with actual people who do,  to understand the pitfalls that happen on a daily basis or the things merchants "really need" to run their business efficiently,  and work on a solution within their platforms.   
OK, I'll get off my soap box now  lol. 
Thanks again, 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thank you for your reply, @TAGSAngel.

I very much appreciate your feedback and can empathize with many of the points you made. I definitely want to make sure we do our best to help you resolve this specifically today, so i did some extra testing with the Fraud Filter app rules. 

One condition you can set up is to flag/cancel orders if the country code does not match your desired regions as such:

13-44-7dgcb-pmtl6

I definitely agree with you that it would not be feasible to enter all other countries individually, but I trust that the "is not" rule would do the trick? 

Please let me know,

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88

@Olivia I truly appreciate your willingness to try and help. And thank you so much for taking the time to try and look into it, But I think you’re missing the point. I could just cancel those orders myself I don’t need a fraud filter to do it. The idea is to have the filter decline the order before it comes in. Depending on the amount of the order I would be paying some very hefty fees on money that I’m not making that is not affordable to any business.  

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

I appreciate that, @TAGSAngel.

As a fellow business owner, I definitely understand how valuable your resources are. If fraudulent orders or chargebacks have been an issue, I would definitely recommend considering using Fraud Filter conditions in combination with manually capturing payments.

I know you previously mentioned that you make items on order, therefore, don't wish to wait for payment capture. In the same way that automatic capturing works, you can approve the payment immediately after you review it. By using this set-up, Fraud Filter would be able to cancel the order, without the transaction ever going through ultimately saving you money.

I truly hope you will find some of this information useful, but don't hesitate to reach back out if you have other questions or concerns.

Warm regards,

TAGSAngel
Trailblazer
148 1 88
Thank you. Fraud Protect is not visible in my manage shopify payments although I don’t know why, isnt it supposed to be available to all US based shops that accept shopify payments? but on the page you linked there’s no fee schedule or order criteria to note what a fraudulent chargeback is. and fraud protect- does that mean even if the credit card bank sides with the buyer i will not be charged back or get hit with chargeback fees?
Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thanks for following up, @TAGSAngel.

Fraud Protect by Shopify Payments is not available to all merchants, and depends on further criteria determined by our banking partners. When a merchant and the order in question are both eligible for Fraud Protect, we reimburse both the amount of the order and chargeback fees. 

Our Fraud Protect service cannot determine if a chargeback was fraudulent, but it provides insurance for when chargebacks do occur regardless of the bank's decision.

We are working hard to bring Fraud Protect to more merchants across the US and other supported regions for the future. In the meantime, there are third-party apps that offer chargeback insurance such as:

We are here if anything else comes up.

Warm regards,