Solved

Is there any way to change the shipping label setting to the format 4x6?

JTowers
Tourist
8 0 4

Hello guys, I am currently trying to change the shipping label format to 4x6, as required by my supplier. Although I am having trouble figuring out this on my own. They print our labels for us, however they claim that we must edit the format ourselves. When I go into shipping settings > shipping label  All that I am able to click is "print test" label for both letter & thermal, or buy shipping labels at a discounted rate.  

Please and Thanks,

Jaime T.

Accepted Solution (1)
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, everyone. 

Tira here. Thank you for reaching out. and for all of your feedback and solutions. I wanted to let you know that we have been reading your posts and I noticed a solution hasn’t been selected for this thread, so I wanted to post a summary of the solutions already provided to make it easier for anyone in the Shopify Community who comes across this thread.

If you’re looking to change the size of your shipping label before printing the label, you may want to take a look at @PPECoverall’s solution that highlights these steps.

If you want to change the size of a label after purchasing one, you will need to void and print the label again as @BODYBYAR mentioned earlier. Here is our help doc with the steps to do this: Changing and voiding Shopify Shipping labels

If after trying these steps you’re still unable to change the size of your shipping labels, please reply to this thread so that I and the Shopify Community can take a further look to help.

Cheers,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 63 (63)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hi, @JTowers.

Tira here, from Shopify. 

I appreciate you doing some of your own research and seeing if you can print a label from your supplier in the Shopify admin. You are correct, when you go into the Shipping page of your admin and to the "Shipping Labels" section, you can print a test label to see how the label will look like after being printed from your printer. This is only a test, so there's no involvement with whichever courier you choose to buy or print your labels from, for your store. 

I did some digging and it looks like printing a label in a 4x6 format can be done within your own printer settings. If you take a look at our help doc on printing test labels, you can follow the instructions for your own printer (I recommend looking at steps 5 and 6): Print a test label

I am curious to see what the community has to suggest!

ezrachavarin
Visitor
1 0 1

I have tried printing a 4x6 label and have gone through 7 prints. I usually use Pirateship for all of my shipping labels becuase they're very easy to use. 

I have avoided using shopify's shipping service becuase it sucks. It doesn't print 4x6 and I have not been able to use the printing labels with my Zebra Thermal Printer. I'm very dissatisfied with Shopify to be very honest and I only use it becuase it's cheap. I would like some technical support to help me print this damn label. If I cannot get this to work I will probably not be referring Shopify to any of my family or friends. Very dissapointed. 

Silks
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi. I bought a Dymo 4XL and it worked with Etsy, then I tried Shopify and could not figure out how to print labels 4 x 6. then someone on this feed said the option to change format from 8 x 11 to 4 x 6 was available after you purchase the label. Then next to the print shipping the option is there to change format. You change it to 4 x 6 labels. Then in print change the printing to the label printer and change the size to the size 4 x 6. The label should change to fit the whole print view then print. 

Hope it works for you.

MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

@ ezrachavarin: Shopify shipping will print 4x6 labels, it's just that like SO many things on this platform it's difficult to find the option and no one who actually works at Shopify has the slightest idea what to do.

Just follow this chain:  Orders > Click on order you want to ship > Click "Create shipping label" > Select shipping service > Click "Buy 1 shipping label" > After page loads look directly above the "Print shipping label" button and you should see a sentence "Change format: 8x11", click it and select 4x6.  Now your labels will print correctly on your label printer (assuming you select the correct settings in the print panel).

Why in the WORLD is this so complicated and why in the WORLD is it not in the "Shipping and Labels" section of your store settings?  I have no idea.  I too think Shopify is shoddy at best, but it's cheap and it works so I keep using it, despite a raft of missing and hidden features.   I not only don't recommend Shopify to people (family, friends, customers etc) I tell them to AVOID shopify.  

Edward-Newgate
Shopify Partner
570 22 61

Hi @JTowers 

You can try this guide:

Step 1: Log in your Shopify admin.
Using your own email and password to log in your Shopify admin.

Step 2: Choose Settings > Shipping.
At the Shopify admin, you can choose Settings > Shipping.
Step 3: Change your shipping label printer settings.
Scroll down to the Shipping labels section, you can opt for Label format that is suitable for the printer] will use. Take note that some labels are printed by a typical model printer. Hence, you need to make sure that the kind of printer you choose can match perfectly.

Choose 8.5 × 11 inch paper for desktop printers if you use the desktop printers. In case you like printing two labels in a page, you can purchase the multiple shipping labels.
Choose 4 × 6 inch label for label printers if you use a label printer like Rollo, Dymo, etc.

For a detailed guide with illustrated images, please read this guide.

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!
MarcelaMB
Visitor
1 0 8
I tried the steps but I do not see the option to change the size. I’m the admin
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hi, @MarcelaMB.

Tira here, from Shopify. 

Thank you @Edward-Newgate for chiming in, your steps are spot-on! 

I would like to help. @MarcelaMB, can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing when you try to choose a size? Is this in the Shopify admin, or in your printer settings? Let us know so that the community and I can take a look! 

Blossoming_Rose
Visitor
1 0 18

printsize.JPG

I'm having the same issue. Here's my screenshot. It doesn't allow me to "choose" thethermal 4x6 or 8.5x11. The only option available is print test label. I've been struggling for HOURS. I have a rollo thermal printer.

kaaaron
Tourist
3 0 6

I am having this exact issue, PLEASE HELP!

PPECoverall
Visitor
2 0 11

I have the same issue. No way to change printer settings. My screen looks the same.

PPECoverall
Visitor
2 0 11

I just found this info in another forum. I did it and it worked. You have to purchased the label 1st then selected the format BEFORE you print.

In order to change the shipping label size, you must first click to fulfill an order and create a label. This will take you to the next screen where you can verify all of the appropriate shipping details. Once that's done, you click to purchase your label and the following page will be the Print shipping label page. Here, to the right, you will see a box titled Print options and a blue change format link: 

11-02-b3msy-by1tg

Selecting this will bring you to a pop-up screen that will allow you to select between Letter or Thermal sized labels: 

running_deyo
Tourist
3 0 11

And how do we change the format if we don't get the blue change format option?

This is what it looks like for me after I've purchased labels and before I print them or export them as PDF:

Screenshot from 2020-06-03 12-22-32.png

Need_Help
Tourist
4 0 10

I am having the exact same issue, and my screen looks the same as running_deyo's.  When I create a label and go to print it, I never get the "blue change format option" next to "8.5 x 11 inch paper."  

There is also no way to select thermal labels as the default in the Settings page.  

Hopefully someone has a solution, because this is extremely frustrating!

Need_Help
Tourist
4 0 10

FYI, after my post I went through a chat session through the Shopify Support center.  Apparently the blue "change format" link ONLY shows up during the initial "purchase flow" for the label.  Once you have purchased it, if you go back later to try and print the label, the "change format" link disappears.  

I went back, voided the label I needed, and repurchased it.  As soon as the label was purchased, the "change format" link was there and I could select thermal printing!!  

Hopefully this helps out!!

running_deyo
Tourist
3 0 11

The screenshot I shared is from immediately after purchasing the labels and I still don't have the "change format" link. I've tried to void labels and repurchase and still don't see this option. Can anyone from Shopify (@Tira) help me solve this? 

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hi, @running_deyo.

Tira here, from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out to me. Thank you @PPECoverall and @Need_Help for your input! 

I did some digging into this for you and if the solutions from @PPECoverall and @Need_Help aren't working for you, then it may have to do with the permissions you have on the store. Are you the account owner, or do you have a staff account? 

The reason I ask, is because staff accounts will not see this link, only account owners can. Staff accounts have limited permissions. Check out our help doc to learn more about staff accounts here: Staff permissions

Could you please reply and let me know if this helps? Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like in your Shopify admin when you try to change the format? 

running_deyo
Tourist
3 0 11

Yes. I am using a staff account and that must be why I cannot change the label format. I already shared a screenshot of what it looks like in this thread.

Is there a reason for this limitation?

Need_Help
Tourist
4 0 10
It appears that my solution posted before seems to be because I was the shop owner and not on a staff account. HOWEVER, once I changed the label format for one order, the 4x6 format now shows up as the default option for all of my staff accounts. Not sure it's a long term solution, but if the store owner can process one order for you, it may fix the problem going forward!
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

I missed the screenshot, @running_deyo. I see it now. Thank you for letting me know this and that you're using a staff account. 

Thank you @Need_Help for providing your feedback on what you experienced. That's correct, once the account owner changes the label format, it will override the format for everyone who has an account for that particular store. 

I did some further digging into this for you, @running_deyo and for the community. Staff are able to change the shipping label format, if they have the "Settings" permissions enabled. I recommend passing along this help doc: Choosing staff permissions for different staff members, to the account owner of the store so that they can give you permission to edit the label format. This permission is ideal for any staff members who need to update the online store.

You can also find a description of what each permission on a store includes in our help doc, here: Description of staff member permissions

Let me know if that helps! 

DM12
5 0 0

Hi i am owner and i still have this issue

miclow2209
Visitor
1 0 1

Really helpful!! thank you guys! i was about to return my printer! The problem is shopify not the printers. 

LetoCollection
Visitor
3 0 0

Got it!!! Thanks. 

gabellaa
Visitor
1 0 0

Unfortunately they don't have that option anymore. I've been having the same issue. Now I have to screen shot every shipping labels I have just for them to print perfectly to 4x6 labels. 

harperthelbl
Tourist
8 0 3

After messing around with it for hours yesterday, I found a fix. If you void the shipping label you've created and repurchase it, the option to show it as a 4x6 format reappears! 

Silks
Visitor
2 0 0

Oh my God. All day and then just this simple change format after purchasing the shipping.  Thank you so much. 

MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

Yet another example of Shopify making things SO MUCH HARDER than they have to be.

Why isn't there simply an option in the Shipping and Labels section of SETTINGS for your store, the place that literally everyone would look first to change a setting like this?

Nope, instead it's buried in the actual shipping page for individual orders?  Ridiculous.  I spent HOURS figuring this out, and never would have without this thread.  Shopify's UI is just an embarrassment.

Chrissywp
Visitor
1 0 0

Lifesaver! This had me so frustrated yesterday. Thank you for sharing!

CrescentMan
Visitor
1 0 0

Im having the exact same problem please help

MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

Im having the exact same problem please help

If you simply scroll through the conversation before posting you will find MULTIPLE places where the solution is posted.  

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hi, @kaaaron.

Tira here, from Shopify. 

I see earlier in the thread you asked for assistance with this. 

@kaaaron wrote:

I am having this exact issue, PLEASE HELP!

Some solutions have been posted by other users and by myself. Could you please give these a try and let me know if they work to resolve what you're experiencing?

I look forward to hearing from you.

BODYBYAR
Visitor
1 0 0

You have to void the shipping label, by going to the fulfillment page where your order exists. In the top right corner it should be 3 dots laying horizontally, click those dots hit void label, that should do the job. Then select thermal label when printing vertically.

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, everyone. 

Tira here. Thank you for reaching out. and for all of your feedback and solutions. I wanted to let you know that we have been reading your posts and I noticed a solution hasn’t been selected for this thread, so I wanted to post a summary of the solutions already provided to make it easier for anyone in the Shopify Community who comes across this thread.

If you’re looking to change the size of your shipping label before printing the label, you may want to take a look at @PPECoverall’s solution that highlights these steps.

If you want to change the size of a label after purchasing one, you will need to void and print the label again as @BODYBYAR mentioned earlier. Here is our help doc with the steps to do this: Changing and voiding Shopify Shipping labels

If after trying these steps you’re still unable to change the size of your shipping labels, please reply to this thread so that I and the Shopify Community can take a further look to help.

Cheers,

WRKBKS
Visitor
1 0 2

I gotta just chime in on this very frustrating subject. In the accepted solution, I don't have a fulfilled section under orders, and there isn't a "more" link. I've got fulfilled orders, but the path doesn't exist. 

Why have a test print of 4x6 labels if you can't easily choose it, even after you pay for a label. Having to void a label is ridiculous. If it's because the ability is created in one or the other size, just create both and then let the software choose to show based on what the user wants to use. 

Honestly, I'm about to go back to Wordpress/Woo Commerce. I chose Shopify because it's really popular, which I thought meant user-friendly. So far its been more frustrating than OSCommerse from 2006. 

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @WRKBKS

Tira here to help.

Thanks for chiming in. I really appreciate you providing your thoughts. It sounds like you aren’t able to see the fulfillment section of an order where you can void a label. Is that correct?

If it is, here’s some insight on voiding labels from our help doc:

You can void a shipping label if it meets the following requirements:

• It has been less than 30 days since you bought the label.
  • There have been no tracking events on the label, such as the shipment being accepted by the shipping carrier.

After you void a shipping label, the cost of the label is credited to your account. This amount is applied to the cost of any shipping labels that you buy in the future. If the package has been shipped, then contact the carrier with the package reference number for help.

Does your order meet these requirements?

If your order meets these requirements, please follow these steps to void the label:

1) From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.

2) Click the number of the order with the shipping label that you want to void.

3) In the Fulfilled section, click More > Void label.

Note: You can also void a shipping label from the Timeline section of an order's page using the Manage shipment drop-down menu.

4) Select a reason for voiding the label.

5) Click Void label and insurance to confirm.

You can buy a new label for this order from the order details page and choose the size of the label. The method for buying a label depends on whether you are in Australia, Canada, or the United States. 

Where are you located? Let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with more resources and guidance for your specific location to help.

I understand the impact that this has on your business and I would be happy to forward your thoughts to our developer team to keep the formatting of the label permanent on your store. Is that something that you would be interested in having me do for you? 

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @WRKBKS.

Tira here again.

How have you been?

Have you had a chance to take a look at the steps and solution I provided earlier, or were you able to find a different solution?

Let me know.

Reba00
Visitor
1 0 0

I read through a lot of this thread and didn't find the same exact problem I'm having. I get the link to change the print format, I click it, change to 6x4 Thermal, and then click Save. The screen goes back and the page size is still 8.5x11. The save doesn't work. How can I get it to change to 4x6?

MAInteriors
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Tira, is there a way to edit the format of the shipping label. For example, it is printing our shop name and the customers name twice. See a screenshot of the label below. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.23.27 AM.png

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 95

Hi @MAInteriors 

The format of a shipping label depends on which carrier and class you choose when you're buying a label. You can't edit the label format because each carrier has specific requirements for their labels. However, there are some apps like Multi Carrier Shipping label app that helps you to format your labels according to your needs before you start printing.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

And yet again we see the scammy shopify answer to problems that paying customers are having:  "Sorry, we can't do anything about it, please go pay *another* monthly fee for an app that provides the exact functionality that we claim we can't implement."

RIP OFF

desmo2023
Tourist
4 0 1

Same thing with double printing shipper and recipient's name twice in UPS purchased labels in Shopify.  UPS says it's a Shopify problem and NOT ONE PERSON in the whole universe knows how to fix this apparently.  It's 2023 people, not 1989.

GabiH
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having the same issue. No option to change label size, only to print test label. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.27.27 PM.png

 please help me with this. beyond frustrated.

MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

It helps if you actually read the responses people make in a thread.  Here's the answer to your question, pasted from the post DIRECTLY above yours.

Just follow this chain:  Orders > Click on order you want to ship > Click "Create shipping label" > Select shipping service > Click "Buy 1 shipping label" > After page loads look directly above the "Print shipping label" button and you should see a sentence "Change format: 8x11", click it and select 4x6.  Now your labels will print correctly on your label printer (assuming you select the correct settings in the print panel).

MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

never mind

Mishell
Visitor
1 0 2

l am also having the same issue. There isn't an option to change the label size. The directions given don't work due to the lack of ability to choose. 

Need_Help
Tourist
4 0 10

Hi @Mishell, make sure you are either the store owner, or that the store owner has given you the appropriate permission(s) to change Settings.  Without one of those two things, you won't get the option to change the label size.  Good Luck!!

bobbiejo
Visitor
1 0 3

I am the sole store owner and I still don't have the option. If this is such a large problem why doesn't shopify fix it? I will literally leave this platform over this. The amount of workaround I have to do to print labels costs me hours.

MNAirsoft
Tourist
5 0 4

Same here. I even contacted support and they couldn't help me. Absolutely ridiculous that no one has a solution to this issue.

Blove87
Tourist
3 0 1

Its very clear they don't care enough to fix this issue, as its 2022, and Im struggling to change the darn size. What a complete waste of my time!

MDD
Explorer
64 0 89

You're making a fatal assumption here that Shopify cares about customer feedback or ease-of-use for their customers.  They do not.  This problem will likely never be addressed as, like so many things, shopify simple does not care about the end user any further than the wallet in your pocket.  If they did they would stop intentionally omitting basic functionality from their platform in order to create a marketplace where they resell you that functionality as "plug ins" and "apps" with their own monthly fee on top of what you already pay to use Shopify itself.

Much like Ticketmaster, where tickets sell out instantly but are also instantly available at multiples of the original prices on marketplaces that ticketmaster themselves own, Shopify wants to sell you their product and then once you're invested sell the functionality you need piecemeal at a far higher price than you were ever led to believe it would be originally.  It's a borderline scam, and it's not going to change.