Legitimate customer payments keep getting declined (do_not_honor error + high risk error)

Solved

Legitimate customer payments keep getting declined (do_not_honor error + high risk error)

Skyy01
Tourist
7 1 0

Hi, I have a new Shopify store created over a month ago.

I'm having customers contact me saying their credit card is being declined when using Shopify payments. The error code ranges from "The bank returned the decline code do_not_honor." to "Stripe blocked this payment as too risky".

I'm based in the UK and my customers are based in the US. The store is set to USD currency and the payouts are set to GBP. 

How would I go about solving this?

Most of my abandoned carts have these errors.

Accepted Solution (1)
Skyy01
Tourist
7 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Yes the solution is to open up a US LLC and bank, and link Shopify payments
to that instead.

View solution in original post

Replies 19 (19)

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 262

Hi, @Skyy01.

To confirm, are you using Shopify Payments as your store's payment gateway, or Stripe?

If you're using Shopify Payments, you can contact our live support team so that we can investigate those error messages further from our end. We won't be able to do this via the Community Forums, due to security and privacy reasons, so please connect with a live support team member via the Help Center here.

If you're using Stripe however, please reach out to the Stripe support team directly as they're best equipped to support you with further troubleshooting of your gateway.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Ibo24
5 0 0

Same here. Did you find a solution?

Moira
Shopify Staff
2079 227 330

Hey @Ibo24,

If a card is declined with the decline code do_not_honor, the only way to resolve this is to ask your customer to reach out to their card-issuing bank to look at the transaction and determine why it was declined. Customers should provide the bank with the charge amount, date/time, and the business  name for assistance.

Shopify is not given any additional information beyond the decline code and cannot provide insight into why the card was declined.

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify

AbigailDavis
Visitor
1 0 0

Were you able to solve this problem ? We are having the same issue and we have no clue whats going on. As far as i understand ours is doing the Do_not_honor error code with risk level being normal. Send me a DM if you have any sort of solution for this problem, thanks!

abigaildav98@gmail.com
FabTon
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Abigail,

I've sent you an email and hope that you have been able to solve this problem, because this is a bottle-neck for anyone's business....

Looking forward to your response!

Cheers

Luigiaa
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi

How you solved the problem? I have the same. 

Please can you send me email with the solution if you can? I’ll appreciate it so much. 

mangiacapredonato@gmail.com

Cheers

FabTon
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Skyy01,

Hope you're doing well! Have you been able to solve this problem? I'm currently facing the same issue with 2 stores and no one at Shopify seems to know what to do. 

Looking forward to your response!

Cheers

daanverhoeven
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I am facing the same problem for 4 days now and Shopify help center also know nothing about this. I want this over so I can make sales again.

mullar
5 0 0

Hi Daanverhoeven,

where you able to resolve this issue? i'm experiencing the same problem right now..

Skyy01
Tourist
7 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Yes the solution is to open up a US LLC and bank, and link Shopify payments
to that instead.
mullar
5 0 0

Hi FabTon,

where you able to resolve this issue? i'm experiencing the same problem right now..

dreamhub7704
Visitor
2 0 0

bro, i am facing same issue, were you able to resolve?

Skyy01
Tourist
7 1 0

The solution is to open up a US LLC with a US bank account.

mullar
5 0 0

I'm also experiencing this problem right now for the last 2 days. almost all my customers who try to order with visa card are being declined... have you found a solution for this?

Umair916
Visitor
3 0 0

If anyone has a solution, please share it. We have been struggling with this issue since yesterday morning.

Maz
Shopify Staff
1247 131 186

Hi, @Umair916!

Thanks for joining this discussion. 

As previously mentioned in this thread, we recommend reaching out to our live support here at the link if you haven't already. We're not able to access accounts from here or perform full investigations however our live support would be more than happy to look into this further for you.

Maz | Social Care @ Shopify 

mullar
5 0 0

Hello Maz, 

I brought op this issue multiple times to the live support staf, but there's nothing being done about this issue. there are lots of people having this issue but it seems like shopify isn't doing anything about it.

vitoriavieira
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having the exactly same issue!!! Almost all customers that are trying to pay by card, are getting declined

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1870 211 335

Hi there, @vitoriavieira. Thanks for taking the time to follow up on this thread!

To set some expectations for you, we're unable to authenticate users here in the Community, so we're unable to access your account, account details, or any ongoing support tickets you may have with our team.

As you're experiencing an issue impacting your ability to make sales via your checkout, we strongly recommend that you reach out to our Authenticated Support Team via our Help Center when possible. This will allow us to authenticate you, and do some more in-depth troubleshooting so we can see how we can help you resolve this issue.

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify