How can I limit region selections to specific areas at checkout?

Montevino
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, at the checkout form I need to limit the region (Provincias) dropdown selections for Spain. I only want it to show Las Palmas and Santa Cruz de Tenerife. (Both islands belong to the Canary Islands and have a different tax regime than mainland Spain so my webshop is only concentrating on these two regions). How can this be done? Thank you

Reply 1 (1)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

Hi, @Montevino!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

While it isn't possible to remove specific provinces from the online checkout, you can limit shipping to Las Palmas and Santa Cruz. If a customer enters an address outside of these provinces, they won't be able to select a shipping rate and complete their order.

To do this, you'll need to edit your Spain shipping zone so that it only includes those two provinces. Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Head to Settings > Shipping and select Manage rates next to your shipping profile. Note: If you have more than one shipping profile, you'll need to complete these steps for each one. 
  2. Select the three dots next to the Spain shipping zone, then Edit zone.
  3. You'll see a list of provinces in Spain. Deselect all of them except for Las Palmas and Santa Cruz. You can quickly deselect all provinces by clicking the checkbox right beside "Spain". 

21-06-nwcpr-44oo2

4. Once you've deselected all provinces aside from the two you'd like to keep, make sure to save your changes. Once saved, your shipping zone should look something like this:

21-06-l8nga-utn4h

With just those two provinces selected, only customers within those provinces will be able to purchase from your online store. If they reside outside those provinces, they'll see an error message in the checkout indicating that your store does not ship to their address. This should help you achieve what you're looking for.

As a side note, have you considered setting up tax rates, instead of limiting your sales to specific regions? We have some instructions on how to set up EU taxes here. If you are a registered business in the EU, you can even enter your VAT number and set up registration-based taxes, ensuring that customers are being charged accurate rates. This might be something worth considering.

I hope this helps! Let me know how that goes.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog