Local delivery only?

MNML
1 0 0

Hi Everyone. My wife has a small terrarium business. She mostly sells to her regular clients (word of mouth and such). 

I am helping her exapnd and we are thinking about selling through her yet to be completed website. And I have two primary questions: 

1. She sells terrariums that she creates, so unlike some that I've seen around on Etsy, these terrariums cannot be shipped. They can only be hand delivered\picked up either by her or a delivery service. We haven't signed up for Shopify yet, but once we do, will there be an option that will specify "local delivery only" or similar options? 

2. In most cases when someone buys something online, it's for them. They are the buyer and the recipient. In cases of flower, for example, most of the time the recipient is not the same person as the buyer. So is there an option, once her website is setup, to allow the buyer to specify that the delivery is for someone else? Like a gift option or another option like this 800flowers and FTDflowers have at check out?

Thank you in advance,

Felix

Replies 3 (3)
Philip_Abraham
8 0 0

Yeah, there are options in shopify that would let you create custom payments.

If you need any help, reach me at ceo@gofit247.com.

Regards,

Philip.

Mel_O1
Shopify Staff
198 0 33

Hi, there!

I’m Melissa, a Shopify Guru. Thanks for posting. That sounds like a great business! So there is a way to have this set up using a Shopify store. 

1. You could set up a rate in the shipping rates based on weight or price, however, it will only have wide coverage of a region. In order to drill down into specific areas and area codes, it would be best to incorporate an app. This will allow you to enable the functionality of local delivery to the chosen areas. check out the following apps and see if they would fit the needs of your business. 

2. Usually what most people do is in the checkout is they set up the shipping address to be different than the billing address so the order goes to someone else, however, to make sure you are aware of this when the order is placed, you could customize your cart page with some order note: Get more information on your cart page with order notes. There is also another app that can help you with this functionality if you want it all to be more of a gifting experience 

Hope this information helps! You can reach out to the Guru team https://help.shopify.com/questions if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Melissa | Shopify Guru

Mel | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

keslerpiche
1 0 1

Hey there, 

I have a solution doing the same thing, I set up 'Custom Shipping Rates,' added the specific products, and then left the shipping zone empty (there is no shipping). 

Set up local delivery and pick up. 

Now as long as some one enters a local address at check out only the 2 options, local pick up or delivery, will show. If someone enters a address at check outside the local delivery range, they get a notice that shipping is not available to your address. 

Voila!