Local Pick Up Only For Certain Products

jkavanagh
Tourist
4 0 1

Our business has certain products which are too big for shipping but they are available for local pick up. How do I remove the "Ship" option from the payment screen so that the only option for the customer is "Pick Up" in store? 

I've played with separate "Locations" and "Shipping and delivery" profiles but can't get the right outcome. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Replies 13 (13)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @jkavanagh,

Thanks so much for your question! I'm happy to help you get your shipping settings just right. I'd love to hear a little more about what you've tried so far?

My first impression, based on what you've shared, is that you'll likely want to isolate your pickup-only products within a single location, enable that location for pickup, then remove any shipping rates assigned to it. To do this, you can: 

1. Visit Settings > Locations and create your "Pickup Only" location. You're welcome to call it whatever you'd like and can even use the same physical address as your other location(s). Bear in mind that this location name and address will be visible to customers at checkout.
  2. Head to Products > Inventory to ensure that your pickup-only products are only available at this location. 
  3. Next, visit Settings > Shipping and delivery > Local pickup
  4. Enable your new location for pickup by selecting Manage, then checking "This location offers local pickup". 
  5. Finally, head into your shipping profile(s) - e.g. General shipping rates > Manage rates
  6. Ensure that there are no shipping rates assigned to your "Pickup Only" location. By default, you may already see your new location listed similarly to the example below. If you do need to remove any existing rates, you can visit the Shipping from section and select More details > Manage > Remove rates
  7. Give it a try! Visit your online store, add one or more pickup-only items to your cart, and confirm that you are only given the option to select local pickup as your delivery method at checkout. 

30-31-84144-31239

It's also worth noting that it's currently not possible to combine delivery methods at checkout. By this I mean, a customer cannot place an order in which some items will be shipped and others available for pickup - these will need to be ordered separately. 

Definitely let me know if you have any questions along the way! For more information, check out Manage your locations and Remove a location

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jkavanagh
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi @June 

Thank you so much for your reply and assistance here. It is much appreciated!

I've followed the below steps but the "Ship" option still remains. Is it possible to remove this and what might I be doing wrong?

jkavanagh_1-1625204179649.png

At least when you do try to click though on the "Ship" option it won't let you check out. 

jkavanagh_2-1625204454787.png

Thanks, Jack

__Jason
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @June 

I came across your reply to this question and its the same issue I'm facing with my store. I'm following your instructions step by step but when I test it on a few of the products it still shows shipping as an option for my pick up only items. I'd love any assistance you can offer!

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @__Jason, welcome!

When you say you're still seeing shipping as an option, are there shipping rates available at checkout for your pickup-only products? Or do you mean you're seeing Ship as a clickable option under Delivery method?

17-06-55718-20887

If you're comfortable doing so, do you mind sharing:

• A screenshot of your pickup-only shipping profile's settings. 
  • A link to your storefront.
  • The name of a pickup-only product. 

Otherwise, you're welcome to contact our team here for live chat, phone, and email support. 

__Jason
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @June ,

My store isn't live yet so I cant share the link. But here is a loom video of the issues I'm facing. I hope this is helpful to you. I followed your instructions I believe exactly but my pick up item is still showing as having a shipping address.

https://loom.com/share/6bc29ea81a86438ba073ae2bcc9b4db7

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

@__Jason, thank you! That was unbelievably helpful.

You've definitely followed each setup step perfectly. The one thing that stands out to me is that your checkout is hopping right to the Shipping page, skipping over Information, as you've said. In doing so it defaults to selecting Ship, where your customer would otherwise be prompted to select Pick up

Had you previously entered your shipping address during this session? Or are you logged in to a customer account? If we can isolate why your checkout experience has skipped the Information page, we'll have a better idea of whether your customers are likely to experience the same thing.

Based on the fact that you've matched your shipping settings exactly, I'm inclined to think your checkout is behaving exactly as we want it to - though I would agree any instance where a customer may have to re-route themselves to select Pick up is a limitation of the workaround. 

Tharidha
Shopify Partner
1 0 3

Hi @June,

I'm facing the same issue as @__Jason. I've followed your steps exactly but the "Ship" option is still shown therefore it leads to confusion. Is this something Shopify is working to fix?

Paul124
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi @June I have used a work around for years using different shipping rates to separate ship vs non-ship items. Similarly to other users this results in constant confusion from customers who just see "Click & Collect - Free" and then enter their shipping details and assume it is being shipped. I was happy to see your solution above, which worked for me to a certain extent.  There is however 1 massive issue. We share stock between a physical store and an online store as I'm sure a vast number of shopify users do. Our in store POS Vend will only send inventory levels to one location, not split them for certain inventory i.e. there is no way to tell it that certain in store products sync to our "local pickup" only location in Shopify and other items sync to our "shipping" location. Surely this has to be a priority for shopify to fix - there is a lot of talk about multi channel on all of the shopify webinars and mail outs - without this simple feature multi channel is a myth. All it requires is a product level toggle to say whether the product is ship or click and collect only or both. How does this get escalated. There are literally hundreds of customer comments / complaints I have read today alone while trying to rectify this on our webstore yet again.

empirecycles
Visitor
3 0 3

Hi @June,  @Paul124 is spot on here. I'm having exactly the same issue.

It's incredible that in 2022, Shopify doesn't have the basic functionality to handle either shipping or pickup for items that can or can't be shipped.

We're using Accumula to sync inventory between Lightspeed (physical store) and Shopify (online store), however it will only send inventory to one Shopify location. Your suggested workaround for a separate "pickup only" location will not work for this setup. 

As Paul said - "All it requires is a product level toggle to say whether the product is ship or click and collect only or both"

TDMarshall
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello All

I have the same issue as @empirecycles, has this been solved perhaps?

Thank you 

TDMarshall
Visitor
2 0 0
Lulu2021
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi June. Do you know when we will be able to combine delivery methods at checkout?

churchman
Visitor
1 0 4

@June please please update the checkout to properly and eloquently handle pickup-only cases. The shipping option should not show when the cart consists of pickup-only item(s). This is surprisingly bad customer UX. We're in post-pandemic 2022. Pickup-only logistics should be a huge priority for this platform.