Local Pick Up Only For Selected Products

bertie-boy
Tourist
10 1 9

Hi

I am in the process of setting up a store. I will be using Royal Mail as my shipping provider. They don't permit certain items to be sent through the post, i.e. some types or aerosols which we stock. I would therefore like to make certain items in the store Local Pick Up only. I have attempted to set up the Local Pickup option which works for all products, but is it possible to make some products pick up only and remove the Royal Mail shipping option from them?

Thanks

Replies 22 (22)

kerrytx
Visitor
2 0 27

I would also like to be able to offer local pickup for certain products! I need them listed on the Online Store, but not able to be shipped (pick up only).

Matias_Fernande
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

I'm on the same boat. We're a brewery and can only sell beer items via pickup. It'd be nice to have a "pickup only" option per item.

kerrytx
Visitor
2 0 27

So it turns out there is a work-around! It isn't the most elegant solution but it gets it done for now. I created a new shipping profile (Settings-Shipping-Create new profile) and added the certain products I need to offer as only local pickup. Then clicked 'Create Shipping Zone' - you can select 'Rest of World' or a specific country, whatever works for your company. Then 'Add Rate' and called it "Local Pick Up" and set it as Free. People still have to enter their shipping info which is a bit annoying, but it does come up as the only option for 'shipping'. Hopefully that could be helpful for you! 

John_T1
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

Thanks for posting your solution. Very helpful as I'm in the same situation needing the option for local pickup only on select products.

JMyklebust
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi, I deselected the option 'Shipping' 'This is a physical product' which results in shipping option not appearing at checkout.

RichieAraish
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you go to the individual product and then turn off the “this is a physical product” feature. Only reason why I’m asking is we are selling alcohol through Shopify or will be and we don’t want our shoppers to think it’s coming to their house we want them to come into the physical store for that. Any leads or thoughts? 

JoClingan
Tourist
3 0 4

I created a pick up only shipping option for free and it worked, but big problem is that it comes up as default shipping option so we have a recurring problem of people selecting this by default and then having to ring up and explain and then charge to shipping which isn't received very well.  You cannot change shipping order so cheapest always comes first and people don't think to look for other shipping options.  We also have certain variants of products only available for pick up but cannot really find a way without paying a lot for an app!

ResaFantastic
Tourist
4 0 7

Thank you for this! It definitely helped me. 

KoblihaBrno
Visitor
1 0 3

Hi! I have dealt with a similar problem but the other way around, meaning I've had to make some products available for one form of shipping only and not available for local pickup at all. I ended up creating a standalone location where these products are stocked, disabling local pickup for that location, but originally I fiddled with the idea of using weight to filter these out in shipping. I made these products extra heavy (let's say 100 kg) and then made all the standard shipping options have a weight limit of 99 kg so that only one option would come up if a customer puts these products in their cart. Maybe you could use this workaround so that the "Local pickup only" shipping option doesn't show up all the time.

CarlosNZ
Excursionist
18 0 34

It is ridiculous that shopify does not have an easy way to offer a pick only option for selected products. This is really basic.

JeffLTOMKT
Visitor
1 0 3

Soooo ridiculous.

mfrisko
Tourist
3 0 0

This worked for me. Thank you!!

newartcards
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi the problem we are having is when stock updates from our vend till system it goes to the default location. We have to manually transfer stock in shopify to our pick up only location. We sell art materials with a lot of variants. We have tried adding a new outlet in Vend so we can send the stock directly to our pick up location in shopify BUT it has become very complicated on the shop floor with two outlets, well it doesnt work when something is bought in the shop. This should be done in shopify where i can label a product 'pick up only' it should be very very simple

farm2door
Tourist
9 0 4

Hi I saw your solution I like to try it but thought I would ask first what will happen if people add products to their cart that are available for delivery?

Thank you!

mfrisko
Tourist
3 0 0
Hello, I ended up fixing this by creating a custom shipping zone named
Local pick up with a zero cost. You can manage which products to put under
this zone (all my products go under it) Then on the shipping settings main
page also select that this store offers delivery. When my customers check
out they see either local pick up or delivery as their 2 options. You have
to remember though that if you add new products you have to go back to
shipping settings and add them to your custom "local pick up" zone or it
won't work for them. Hth!
slav1
Tourist
4 0 0

Sounds like my problem. I have dangerous products in the store that shouldn't be delivered and once customer picks something that can be shipped, the dangerous products can get shipped as well, and like someone else said it's ridiculous that people need to find workarounds to such a simple problem. Shame on you, Shopify.

ErinMoose
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm having a similar, though slightly different issue ... I offer a lot of local-items (cards, prints, artwork.) SOME I have in stock and therefore I want local people too be able to pick it up (or for me to deliver) HOWEVER, I need people who live farther away but also want to buy those items to be able to add shipping. Currently, my set up isn't letting me ship these products -- only pick up. Can't figure it out!! Any ideas??Thanks.

Dank13
Tourist
10 0 14

hard to believe this is not a standard option.... especially when there is an option to set up pickup in-store on Shopify. So, why there isn't a simple check box that says pickup only on the product is beyond my comprehension..

robsen
Tourist
3 0 4

And still isn't a standard option in 2023. Unbelivable 😞

DavidNZSSI
Pathfinder
100 6 13

This is typically where you'd probably want to introduce another solution. Most shipping automation solutions will let you create rules to assign certain delivery types (in-store pickup/specific courier etc) – but importantly, you can also manage multiple couriers as part of these solutions, including those services which will let you process dangerous goods.

Sam247
Excursionist
11 0 3

"another solution" should not be required when it is a basic requirement as clearly shown in this thread. 

robsen
Tourist
3 0 4

And still isn't a standard option in 2024. Unbelivable 😞