Local pick up with transfer from other locations

Chris4b
Tourist
3 0 1

We have several stores and we regularly transfer stock between them to fulfill customer orders at their desired location.  Shopify does not let a customer place an online order for an item to pick up at the store of their choosing unless that store has the item in stock.  Support's "solution" is to always keep 1 of every item in stock at each store, which in our business is just not possible or desirable. Does anyone know a solution (app, customization, other) for this very common and basic omnichannel requirement? We ideally would want this at least partially automatable so that the order triggers a transfer (or at least a notification to create a transfer) from a store with inventory to the customer's selected pick up store. Thanks.

Replies 5 (5)

nildeep
Excursionist
17 1 1

Hey @Chris4b,

I'd like to suggest a probable solution for this. How about letting your Shopify be the eCommerce storefront for ordering and let another system maintain your multi-inventory rules, micro process automation, 3PL/in-house logistic management, accounting management, and yet more if needed for your unique requirement. In short, your Shopify eCommerce can be integrated bi-directionally with an all-in-one OpenSource system like Odoo ERP to manage your every in-house procedure and workflow. It can also easily solve your multi-inventory issue as for Shopify, it would act as a single inventory, but internally on your side on Odoo, you can manage all multi-inventory setup. Apart from this, a major part of your process can be automated by defining rules as per your business workflow.

Let me know if this interests you.

Chris4b
Tourist
3 0 1
Hello Nideep,

Thank you for your reply. We are already considering Odoo and working with them for the back end system. I do not understand how Odoo relates to the first part of the issue, which is that Shopify doesn't allow customers to order an item for in store pick up at their preferred store if that store does not have any in stock even though it can be transferred from another store. This seems to me to be a 100% Shopify issue/limitation. Please explain how Odoo would resolve this Shopify issue.

Thanks.
Chris
silentinfotech
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello @Chris4b I think one way is to retire shopify and setup eCommerce on Odoo itself to have everything integrated! 

BTW, what version of Odoo are you using? 

nildeep
Excursionist
17 1 1

Hey @Chris4b,

Glad to know that you are using Odoo. Yes, I too agree that this is the limitation of Shopify eCommerce. And I too believe the only way out is to move onto Odoo eCommerce. 

Thanks.

Chris4b
Tourist
3 0 1

I'm not interested in suggestions from anyone who is trying  to promote/sell an alternative product or provide a service, especially if they don't even provide specific details of how the issue is addressed in what they suggest. Also, based on my evaluation of Odoo so far, I am less than impressed and what not recommend it yet to anyone in our industry.  Please do not respond unless you have something relevant and useful to share.