Making Billing Phone Numbers Required a Checkout

paint-cabin111
Excursionist
16 0 5

Hello

I'd like to make phone numbers a requirement for customers at checkout. I've found the option in the checkout settings to make it required if it's a shipped product, but most of our sales are currently set up for Pick Up and its really necessary for us to have the customer's phone numbers to be able to notify them about their orders.

Is there any option for making the phone number in the billing info section mandatory - perhaps with some simple code?

Thanks for the help

Replies 18 (18)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hello, @paint-cabin111.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question.

I'm afraid there isn't a way to make the billing phone number a requirement at this time. However, I can understand the importance of this requirement for your store, and I'd be happy to pass your feedback along to our Development team. Though this isn't something that I can provide an estimated time frame on implementing. Nevertheless, if Shopify moves forward with these changes, we'll be sure to announce it on our changelog and/or updates page. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JerryWalker
Visitor
1 0 0

@Elias

I have several clients that need phone # required, but do not need shipping information. 

Can you please have your team implement this so we can capture phone #s?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @JerryWalker.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing the additional context!

Since your store doesn't need shipping information, then it sounds like you're selling non-physical products. Is this correct?

If so, then it does make sense why you'd need to capture the phone number without using the shipping address phone number and I'd be happy to share this feedback as a feature request with our development team. As previously mentioned, while there isn't a timeframe that I can share for this, we will announce any upcoming changes and/or new features on the Shopify Changelog.

I noticed that you're a new member of our Shopify Community! I'd love to hear more about your experience so far and share some resources to help you get started! Can you tell me more about your store? Also, do you have a marketing plan prepared for your business?

Sunny1729
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, 

Is there a way to make the phone number of billing customer mandatory it shows optional. Right now the phone number for shipping address is mandatory but we want billing phone number also to be mandatory.

Thank You

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hi, @Sunny1729.

Thanks for joining the thread!

You can allow customers to checkout using their phone number or email address as opposed to only email address. However, this doesn't make the billing phone number mandatory, and the only one that can be made mandatory at this time is the shipping phone number.  

That being said, we'd also be happy to share your feedback as a feature request with our development team for future considerations. Can you tell us more about why you'd want the billing phone number to be mandatory and its purpose? 

paint-cabin111
Excursionist
16 0 5

Hello,

That being said, we'd also be happy to share your feedback as a feature request with our development team for future considerations. Can you tell us more about why you'd want the billing phone number to be mandatory and its purpose? 

Sounds like you're selling non-physical products. Is this correct? If so, then it does make sense why you'd need to capture the phone number without using the shipping address phone number.

We need customer phone numbers because we are selling online tickets to in-person events. It's incredibly helpful for our admin staff to be able to call our customers in case of any changes about their upcoming events. 

We also offer many personalized and customizable options for our guests for special private events that we sell tickets for, so being able to call our customers and discuss the details of their upcoming events is a necessary for us.

We also want to be able to send event reminders over SMS as we've noticed better open & engagement rates when contacting our customers over text.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hello, @paint-cabin111.

Thanks so much for following up and sharing the additional context!

We understand that you need the phone number to be required in order to contact customers about their online tickets, and we'd be happy to share your feedback as a feature request with our development team. If Shopify moves forward with any changes to the checkout settings, then we'll be sure to announce them on the Shopify Changelog.

As for sending event reminders over SMS, you may be able to set up an automation using a third-party sms marketing (or email marketing) app. If you need help with a third-party app, then the app developer is always available to assist you. Simply reach out to them directly through the contact information found at the bottom of their app's page.

If you have any other questions on this topic, then don't hesitate to let me know!

JIMMYZHU
Visitor
1 0 0

if the customer selected the pick-up. we prefer to contact customers by phone or message. because the email is sometimes incorrect or the mail into the junk mail.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @JIMMYZHU.

Welcome to the thread!

We understand that your store offers local pickup and you prefer contacting the customers by phone as the emails is sometimes incorrect or sent to the junk folders. While we'd be more than happy to add you to this feature request, we wouldn't provide any timelines on feature requests. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or new features, then you'll be able to find them on the Shopify Changelog

That being said, I noticed that you're a new member of our Shopify Community! I'd love to hear more about your business and share some resources to help you get started. What kinds of products are you selling? Do you have a marketing plan prepared for your store?

dikerr
Tourist
8 0 1

We too would like to get a billing phone number added to checkout. We often have to contact the customer about their order or confirm details. This is much easier when we can pck up the phone and speak to them in person especially if we want to confirm a possible frudulent order. Sending them an email doesn't cut it and can take days for them to get back to us... further holding up their order.

If we could phone them, we could ship the order the same day.

This is a no-brainer and should be a standard feature at checkout.

ShopPay already collects the phone number to verify a login so the information is there... make it a field we can access too 🙂

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @dikerr.

Thanks for joining the thread.

We appreciate you for sharing the context behind why you need this feature, and we'd be happy to add you to this feature request. However, as previously mentioned, we're unable to provide any sort of timeline for when this feature will be available. We'll be sure to announce any new features or changes to the platform on the Shopify Changelog

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

ground
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi, we also need this billing phone function to be mandatory for all our orders. I also can see that this has been requested since 2021. This is quite standard basic request for all ecommerce businesses. Whenever there is an issue with an order, we contact customers and not the recipients (to avoid spoiling the surprise). How long does your team need, to work out a solution on this topic?

Are we able to customised the code at the backend?

KevinTDC1
Tourist
6 0 1

I as well need the phone number to be a requirement for pickup orders. 

KaBleeth
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

How is this feature not available? Surely there is some customization that can be made as obviously Shopify is not making this a priority. 

KaBleeth
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Unfortunately, there is no good solution. but, a workaround that we've implimented is changing the label from "email or phone number" to just "phone number" under theme settings

KaBleeth_0-1702925748121.png

KaBleeth
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Unfortunately, there is no good solution. but, a workaround that we've implemented is changing the label from "email or phone number" to just "phone number" under theme settings.

KaBleeth_0-1702925821438.png

KevinTDC1
Tourist
6 0 1

I found a workaround. If your placeholder text in the form field shows "(optional)", go to Online Store > Click the three dots next to Customize > Select Edit default theme content > Search for "Phone" > edit the field that pops up and save. 

It doesn't make it required, but at least it doesn't show as optional

ground
Tourist
8 0 2

Oh that's a great tip! We have implemented the word (required) beside it!~ Hopefully it is better with this add-on. Thank you for sharing. It's really useful.