Making Shipping Unavailable for certain product variants

timgreenwood
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

Can someone please help me to make certain product variants unavailable for shipping. I am selling prints in sizes 40x30cm, 60x45cm, 80x60cm, 100x75cm and 120x90cm but I can't ship prints bigger than 80x60cm because it gets incredibly expensive. How do I make 100x75cm and 120x90cm product variants unavailable for shipping anywhere that isn't my local domestic area? Or how can I make these product variants only available for local pick up? I have 125 products each with these different size variants, so I don't want to have to manually add them to a custom shipping option.

Thanks for the help.

Reply 1 (1)

Anindita
Shopify Partner
675 34 95

Hi @timgreenwood,

You can use a combination of shipping profiles and shipping zones to restrict the availability of certain product variants for shipping. Here's how you can do it:

1. Create a new shipping profile: From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery. Under "Shipping profiles", click Add shipping profile. Name the profile something like "Local Pickup Only".

2. Edit your shipping zones: Under "Shipping and delivery", click Manage rates next to the zone you want to edit. You can create a new zone for your local domestic area, or edit the existing zone if you already have one.

3. Add a rate for local pickup: In the zone editor, click Add rate. Name the rate "Local Pickup" and set the price to $0. Under "Fulfillment", select the "Local Pickup Only" shipping profile you created in step 1.

4. Create a new shipping rule for oversized items: From your Shopify admin, go to Products > All products. Click on one of the products that have oversized variants (100x75cm or 120x90cm). Scroll down to the Variants section and click Edit on one of the oversized variants.

5. Edit the shipping settings for the variant: Under "Shipping", select "Custom rates". Click Add rate and name the rate something like "Local Pickup Only". Set the price to $0 and select the "Local Pickup Only" shipping profile you created in step 1.

6. Apply the new shipping rule to all oversized variants: Once you've created the new shipping rule for one oversized variant, you can apply it to all the other oversized variants by clicking "Apply to all variants" under "Shipping".

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for all products with oversized variants: You can bulk edit the shipping settings for all products with oversized variants by selecting them from the All products page and clicking Edit products. Make sure to apply the new shipping rule to all oversized variants for each product.

By following these steps, you'll have set up a shipping profile that only allows local pickup, and a shipping rule that applies to all oversized variants and assigns them to the local pickup shipping profile. This will ensure that customers outside of your local domestic area won't be able to select shipping for oversized items and that local customers will only be able to select local pickup for those items.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping