FROM CACHE - en_header

making sure my customers pay for shipping for each item, not just one

Mj_The3rdPick
1 0 0

Over the last few days, I've been struggling to setup appropriate shipping costs for my customers to avoid losing profit. I'm using print-on-demand dropshipping services (3 different ones) to fulfill my clothing items. I now have some understanding of how zones and rates work but I've been unable to solve the problem of actually charging the correct amount of shipping to my customers when they checkout. For example, i had an order recently where the customer order about 10 t-shirts. The domestic (US) shipping price for one shirt from my fulfillment company is $3.99, which is reflected in my shipping settings for that service in that region. The customer who bought 10 t-shirts was only charged $3.99 for shipping, so they basically got free shipping for everything else. How can I fix this? 

Replies 2 (2)
Sharon-Reeds
Trailblazer
126 6 24

Hey @Mj_The3rdPick,

Unfortunately, Shopify's shipping profiles don't work with multiple dropshippers in the way you need. This is because the moment you add in any "rule" based shipping (these would be price or weight tiers in profiles), Shopify uses the whole cart total to calculate the shipping cost, not the profile total. This would end with you overcharging for shipping, and would lead to abandoned carts. 

A large subset of our users at Intuitive Shipping use us to calculate the right price for dropshippers, and you can even offer free shipping over a predetermined cart total to increase your average order value. I encourage you to book a demo with our team to learn how you can configure the app to charge accurately for shipping. 

If you would prefer to not to use a third-party app, you can offset the shipping cost into each of your products and offer 'Free' shipping on everything. The problem with this method is that a) customers have no reason to order more than 1 item, and b) you're drastically overcharging your customers for shipping in some cases, since POD companies tend to tier their shipping costs based on how many of an item a customer orders.

I hope this helps! 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

Mkle
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi, I am going through the same thing. Did you get the issue resolved?