My customer said she got charged twice for her order

TSBAdelaide
2 0 0

So my customer who already came and pick up her order in store is now contacting me saying she got charged twice. She sent over the bank transaction as well showing she got charged double (one is $69.95 - full amount & one is $57.96 - amount after 20% off as i refunded her that 20% off ). However in my payout schedule it only shows I have $57.96 in transit from that order to be paid out to me in a couple of days. How do I go about this? Please help as it's urgent.

Replies 15 (15)
Oceanpayment
Tourist
18 0 0

Hi @TSBAdelaide ,
Which payment company you used in your shopify? you should contact your payment providers first. As they are the one who collects the money from your customer's bank. 

Shopify official payment provider
Ted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1254 114 145

Hi @TSBAdelaide,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us! 

Just so I can gather some more context; what payment gateway was used to process this order? Was it Shopify Payments?

If you open the order in your admin and then scroll down to the timeline of the order, can you check to see if there's an error anywhere stating that there was a problem with the payment? It could be that the payment for the order was rejected initially (maybe due to insufficient funds or an error with their bank) and so there's a pending charge on their bank statement. If something like this has happened, the customer's funds should bounce back to their account within a few business days. 

Just as well, our Forum Community wouldn't be a direct line to our Support so there might be a delay in our replies. For immediate assistance, we would recommend contacting our 24/7 live chat, phone or social media support here

If you would like me to pop you an email to take a closer look at the order, please let me know, I'm happy to help! 

Many Thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

illustratif
3 0 0

Hi @Ted,

I'm having the exact same issue - using shopify payments. Client has received 2 charges, one for the original price and one for the price minus shipping (after issuing a partial refund) rather than receiving a refund.

Checked the payment status of the original transaction, no errors showing up there. Could you lend a hand?

Thanks,

Lorcan

Ted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1254 114 145

Hi, @illustratif!

Thanks for letting me know!

Sure thing, I'll need to take a closer look at the account so I've sent an email to you privately if you could take a peek. If there’s anything else I can help you with please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Wrightd2
1 0 0

I am having this issue with all customers that used a card and not Apple Pay or PayPal direct. 
NEED HELP! 
their invoices say their regular charge but on Shopify is has double charge to their accounts 

Kashley
1 0 0

I have the same issue though paid via PayPal. Customer’s bank account showing two payments one with shipping and one without. PayPal is only showing the amt with shipping. What is happening Shopify?? 

Logan_Mackie
1 0 0

Hi Kashley, did you end up resolving this issue? I'm having the same problem

MishkaOCE
2 0 0

Hello Ted,

A couple months since this reply I know, but I just had the exact same problem as described. I’d appreciate a look into my account if possible. Thanks!

sgalway
2 0 0

Ted,

I have had three customers complain of this problem today, a couple more over the last three days.  Different payment providers, Shopify, Paypal, etc.  They are complaining that a double or sometimes triple charge is showing up on their bank statement.

KieraM
1 0 0

I'm having this problem when I try to send an invoice to a customer. Did you find a solution?

SKYA
1 0 0

I am having the same issue - Jan 2021

It's my first order from my personal (not business) shopify - it was Alipayexpress / Oberlo product
It was a friend who made the order luckily but he's sent me screenshots of his Bank deductions and sure enough 
there were two transactions from my Paypal showing one on the 25th and the second on the 29th

Please help me resolve this issue and prevent it from happening in future as I don't want to pour my lifesavings into marketing if the customers feel like they are getting scammed double

Kindest Regards
SKYA

sadiegrea
2 0 0

Did any of you all get this resolved?  This just happended to us!  A customer purchased in store and then she was charged again in the wee morning hours the following day.  The customer issued a charge back and her bank charged us a fee, but we only received the funds from the first transaction.  So now we are out the money, items and the fee. This is very worrisome 😞   Was just wondering how your incident ended?  Were you able to get it resolved?

sgalway
2 0 0

This problem just sort of disappeared for us.  However, we are only active in our Shopify store during the holidays so no telling if the issue is back or not.

TSBAdelaide
2 0 0
Yes, but my customer contacted my shop first so I got to explain to her how
the second charge was only pending and would not be deducted out of her
bank account. I advised her to wait dor few days for that pending
transaction (that may look like a double charge) to disappear and no fund
from second transaction would be deducted from her account.

Hopes that make sense.
sadiegrea
2 0 0

Just wondering how this was resolved, we just had the same thing happen to us ... customers bank confirmed funds were removed twice but we only recieved one payment... love to know how your incident ended - thanks