Solved

Negative Balance on Payouts Help

UK_Marketing
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello Community,

I currently have a negative payout balance due to the unavailability of one product during a promotion.

I have received a couple of payments before a bunch of refunds and now the balance is in a negative.

I am not expecting any sales through the store until the next promotion which could be in a few months. What do I do with the negative balance?

There is no obvious way to reimburse Shopify from my bank account and I need the Shopify balance and my Bank Account to all tally correctly for month-end accounting.

Is there anything I can do?

Accepted Solutions (3)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

This is an accepted solution.

Hi there, 

Hope you're doing well today! Thanks for getting in touch.

May I ask where your business is located? If by chance you're based in Canada, the United States, or Australia, we will issue a negative balance payout to debit your account directly. When you visit Settings > Payments > View payouts in your admin, is their an estimated date listed for this payout? 

In any other country, a negative payout balance will need to be covered by new positive sales. Since it sounds like this may take longer to achieve than you'd like, I would recommend contacting our support team via our Help Center, who can connect you with our Recovery team to discuss other options. 

Definitely let me know if you have any questions! Take care. 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

ZAFRAN
Visitor
1 1 1

Hi, My store is located in United Kingdom and i have negative balance as i have refunded to customer and i am not expecting new sales in near future so payout will be zero. Its been one week now of having negative balance, may i know if it will automatically deducted from bank account or do i need to pay manually?

Willis
Visitor
1 1 1

We're a UK based retailer, we had an unusually large refund in single day, and we experienced Shopify issuing a negative balance payout to debit our bank account directly. Not a major issue for us as a couple of days sales covered it. But I thought it might be helpful to update this thread with our experience in September 2023, as appears the policy has been changed for UK shops.

Replies 8 (8)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi there, 

Hope you're doing well today! Thanks for getting in touch.

May I ask where your business is located? If by chance you're based in Canada, the United States, or Australia, we will issue a negative balance payout to debit your account directly. When you visit Settings > Payments > View payouts in your admin, is their an estimated date listed for this payout? 

In any other country, a negative payout balance will need to be covered by new positive sales. Since it sounds like this may take longer to achieve than you'd like, I would recommend contacting our support team via our Help Center, who can connect you with our Recovery team to discuss other options. 

Definitely let me know if you have any questions! Take care. 

Lungi_Seller
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey, Sorry to jump on someone else's question. But I have a similar issue, I had to issue a refund on a big order, but the problem is my store will take 3 months or more to generate the required sales to return the shopify balance to positive. Is this ok or is there a deadline by which any negative balance must be cleared?

I guess another issue will be if any future orders require refunds I would not be able to do this with a negative balance?

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @Lungi_Seller, welcome! 

First, may I ask where your business is located? 

It's true that if you have a negative Shopify Payments balance then any additional refunds you're wanting to issue during that time may show a Pending status until that balance has recovered. To avoid coming up against this, we can definitely look into your options for getting your balance back into the positive without waiting for those new sales over the next few months. 

If you happen to be based in Canada or the US, we will issue a negative balance payout to debit your account directly - if that's the case, a debit will be scheduled to collect the funds from your bank account, which would be the only “deadline". For all other regions, you can reach out via our Help Center to be connected with our Recovery team. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions about that! 

Lungi_Seller
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey!

Thanks for your response.

I am based in the UK. So I guess in my case the negative balance won't be charged via my bank. But I just wanted to know how long I can keep a negative balance - just in case it takes me 2-3 months to make the sales to cover it.

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Thanks for those details! That's correct, in that case your balance will remain negative either until you receive sufficient positive sales or (if you're concerned that that may take a while) you can chat with our Recovery team about repaying it sooner. There is no deadline for when you need to do this by, though if you think you may need to issue additional refunds in the near future, you might consider connecting with our team to get this process started. Up to you!

NerdsHav
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello I came across this forum post and it's related to my current situation. I currently have a negative balance of $94 and a failed payout of $174. I submitted a retry payout and it's scheduled for 2/22/2022. I am waiting for that date however I was confused on if the remaining $94 was also going to be taken out on that date as well. I'm trying to pay all my debts so I can run the store effectively again. Sincerely, Nerdshaven

Willis
Visitor
1 1 1

We're a UK based retailer, we had an unusually large refund in single day, and we experienced Shopify issuing a negative balance payout to debit our bank account directly. Not a major issue for us as a couple of days sales covered it. But I thought it might be helpful to update this thread with our experience in September 2023, as appears the policy has been changed for UK shops.

ZAFRAN
Visitor
1 1 1

Hi, My store is located in United Kingdom and i have negative balance as i have refunded to customer and i am not expecting new sales in near future so payout will be zero. Its been one week now of having negative balance, may i know if it will automatically deducted from bank account or do i need to pay manually?