New edit orders feature: How to add/edit discount?

cmscss
Shopify Partner
184 2 235

Hi There,

We're trying to use the new edit order feature but can't figure out how to add/edit the discount. How do we do that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Replies 56 (56)

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 160

Hi, @cmscss!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

This is a great question regarding the new edit order feature. At this time, the edit order feature has some limitations as to what can be edited for an order. Currently there are two notable limitations with regards to discounts:

• Automatic discounts can't be edited, added or removed. If an automatic percentage discount was already applied to the order however, then it will update to account for qualifying items that are added or removed.

• Discount codes can't be edited or added. If an item with a discount code applied is removed from an order, then the discount will be lost and the buyer will owe the difference.

While adding/editing discounts is currently not available when editing an order, you’re able to partially refund an order if a discount was not applied prior to the customer paying. We have some great information in our help document here regarding order editing. This page goes over all of the aspects of an order that are currently editable, as well as walks through workflow for adding/removing items from an order, and refunding orders when the order total decreases.

I’ve informed our developers of your interest in being able to add/edit discounts when editing an order. This is great context to have when considering future updates to this feature and the platform. You can check out our changelog here to keep up with the latest updates. 

I’m interested to learn why this addition would be valuable to your business and workflow. Feel free to reply here and we can continue our conversation.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

mikea001
Excursionist
34 1 19

Hi,

We need this too!

We have customers who flout reasonable usage policies when it comes to repeat orders using the same discount code on another email address to the same postal address.

We are very lenient on this but some customers really do take the p**s and we need to be able to amend their order by removing the discount and send them an invoice for the balance before posting. Currently we do that using draft orders but that is not an ideal way of working.

MoriC
Visitor
2 0 6

We need this too!

We create sometimes orders to our outsourced stock to send out products for pop-up (commission sales). I need items to get reduced from the stock but the total price of the order to be 0€ so that they do not mess up the webshop sales reports. If I forgot to add some item and I need to add it later on, I would like to put the price also 0€ for the same reason. Now I have to remember that some products are not sold (yet) and reduce them from the sales report. Or would there be another way to do this? The draft orders do not change the stock amounts?

nikash
Visitor
1 0 7

Yes, need this feature please!

lun
Excursionist
23 0 26

Yes, I need this too.
Editing inv but cannot add discount on the new add in item is very troublesome during this pandemic

Cottage21
Excursionist
10 0 8

We would like to know how to discount an added item when editing an order? for example, a customer orders an item that is no longer available for $65 but we offer them a similar item that is priced at $70 for the same original price paid. We would like to substitute and edit the order (so inventory is correct) but we do not want the me to be sent an invoice and would like the order to not show as partially paid. Is there a way to do this?

jpstonehouse
Excursionist
14 0 9

Customers forget to put in discount codes and then contact us to get the discount applied to their order.  While we can refund the discount amount quite easily, there is no effect on the sales taxes collected.  That ain't right.  It's a pretty easy fix so please do it. 

Thanh_Luu
Tourist
4 1 4

Exactly! It also distorts analytics, I use the data on the codes to budget and pay affiliates. Refunding partially without actually adding the code skews the data. 

FireTech
Tourist
4 0 1

We would use this feature as well - in the documentation about editing orders, this information is included about recalculating discounts--I don't understand why discount codes that apply to the entire order aren't working based on this information?

from this page:

The following discount types are recalculated when an order is edited:

• Percentage discounts that apply to the entire order — These discounts are recalculated when you add new items or change item quantities.

• Discount codes for a fixed amount that apply to specific products or collections — These discounts are recalculated when you adjust the quantity of an item that already has the discount applied. This type of discount is recalculated only if the discount code can be used more than once per order.

Drvn2skcede
Visitor
3 0 0

Please add feature. So many products in 'pre-order' status now, customers change their minds frequently before product arrives and want to make sure their discount still applies.  Customer bought one item, found out delivery time was long, decided to upgrade to a new item with a higher price and a shorter delivery time and of rightly, still wanted to apply her discount code. She should not be penalized.

Langvang
Tourist
4 0 2

Would be a great help being able to ad a coupon after purchase in the backend admin. It's something we're asked for several times a week, when customers forget, or put it in the text box instead of discount box. At the same time, it would also be a great help to be able to adjust the amounts of the products directly, instead of having to edit or add a custom product with the edited price. 

Let's say we have one product left at the warehouse, and we find out it has a scratch, and offer the customer 25% off f.ex. Then I can't make an invoice match in a quick way, and I have to make them match, when using auto-booking of orders in the economy system. 

CamperQueen
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes this is an essential feature we would require.  For example, if customers have place an order which has either gone out of stock in the meantime or we need to change it and offer less than the normal price advertised.  We wouldn't want to cancel the order then add again as the customer would receive a refund and have to do the payment process again which is not great.

ChrisS11
Shopify Partner
9 0 7

Yes this is an essential feature we would require.  For example, if customers have place an order which has either gone out of stock in the meantime or we need to change it and offer less than the normal price advertised.  We wouldn't want to cancel the order then add again as the customer would receive a refund and have to do the payment process again which is not great.

We just had an order where and item was out of stock, and instead of removing the item, and refunding, we ended up upgrading them to a slightly better product with the same contents, just more ... so now they owe $8, but there is no way to collect from them without sending another invoice. This is both unexpected, and not user friendly for the customer. I'd rather be able to add a discount amount or % to the order when editing, so I can offer an upgrade, and not need to charge them or collect more money. Please add this feature, doesn't seem that hard.

pasi_h
Visitor
1 0 2

Just like 

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

So there seems to be a new development here!

changelog.shopify.com 

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 19.24.42.png

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

This is how it now appears on my store:

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 19.31.01.png

jt49
Tourist
4 0 24

That's Awesome!! thanks for updating us !

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

It seems like it still isn't possible to apply a discount code on an already-existing order. It also seems like it isn't possible to discount already-existing products in an order.

HOWEVER: It looks like this workaround is possible:

1. Edit order
  2. Add an already-existing product, discount it however you want to (in below example, I gave 50% discount on 1x pomelo)
  3. Remove&refund the existing product (in my example, I removed 1 pomelo)

--> This should effectively give the customer a 50% discount on this particular product in this order, without the confusion of a new order number etc. There still may be incompatibilities with other apps that don't update with an updated order, so this might not be the best solution for everyone. For us, this seems like a big improvement, though!

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 20.01.31.png

kub
Pathfinder
118 2 43

Hi all. I need this too. I saw a screen where it is possible modifying the order. In mine it isn't possible. Why? 

I need this beacause some times it happens that there is something wrong with my inventory or items are broken so i offer alternative which is maybe less costly or i offer discount where customer ads some products

Screenshot_20201209_114804.png

mehoetker
4 0 0

Just waiting for this, too. Customer wants a bunch of things she emailed me about, so I set up a draft order for her to hold items she definitely wanted while she decided on others. Some of the items qualify for my current sale, some don't. And even when I emailed the invoice to myself to "test" applying the discount code, I can only enter a "gift card" not a "discount code" at the point of payment. WHYYY?

I guess if I go in and create a temporary automatic discount for those items it will work, but what a PITA when the customer should be able to enter the coupon code at the point of sale. (without having to go add all the things to her cart and checking out) 

Anyway just adding my voice to the chorus to can we PLEASE get this, thanks.

supremeswan
Visitor
1 0 5

To add/edit discounts in an order is a very important feature to our store as well. CUSTOMER RELATIONS. That's what it's all about. Many customers forget to add codes, and then they contact us. It's a hassle to cancel the order and have them place it again. Other times we're on the phone with someone and we want to give them 10% off their order due to some discrepancy in the shipping, or some other reason. 

The PROBLEMS With Using Refunds as a "Workaround":

-ANALYTICS -- we cannot track data about our discount codes. This data is very useful in our financial reports and also in our marketing and sales methods.
-TAXES -- we lose an important tax deduction. A discount is handled differently because discounts are considered deductions for promotional reasons, rather than a refund which is usually for some mistake we made or a defective product, and these do not count as the same deduction
-SALES TAX -- this amount does not get adjusted with the "workaround".

jt49
Tourist
4 0 24

I wonder when shopify will fix this...

suburbanvp
Visitor
1 0 0

If item has not yet shipped I cannot apply a refund. Is there a way to adjust the total order amount? 

Scott_Imbrie
Tourist
5 0 2

Bumping this since being able to apply a discount code to an already placed (though not captured) order would still be useful.

Right now my assumption is re-adding the same items the customer ordered and applying the discount to those items before removing the previously ordered (un-discounted) items is the best option.

However this is very time consuming for shops that have customers who order MANY products.
It also introduces additional opportunity for an error to occur which gets more complicated to clean up since the actual paper trail on what happened is not totally clear.

It would be great to see the ability to add whole order discounts even if the per product / product type discount logic doesn't work since the math could be done to approximate this behavior on the shop owners side. On our side we just need a way to make the numbers match without so much additional processing work.

Manavchopra1983
Visitor
1 0 1

Yes please. This would be a much needed easy feature when I need to add a discount. And this happens very often

PathfinderHolly
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Yes, please add this feature.

We sell books, and we offer discounts to prisoners. If someone orders a book for a relative or friend behind bars, we would like to add this discount to their order rather than giving them a refund. 

Stylordboutique
Tourist
3 0 15

this feature is strongly needed. Try please to add it

SuzSol
Visitor
1 0 0

We need this too! Sometimes we have customers that don't want our gift boxes. They know if they request no gift box in the comment box at the end of the order we will remove the value of the giftboxes from the total order. I don't want to have to set up 1000's of duplicate products just for the few customers that I have this agreement with. Plus it would SKU my sales reports of which items sell well. Please reinstate this feature!!

Bill6
Shopify Partner
47 0 17

"you’re able to partially refund an order if a discount was not applied prior to the customer paying. "

->  What if the discount code that was "not applied" has rules and logic required to determine the final refund amount? 

When a customer calls us to get the discount that was not applied, they do not simply tell us the refund amount.  It needs to be calculated!  So, using this work-around we will need to dissect the discount code to try and replicate the same order recalculation to get the correct refund amount.  Your developers may not be considering that determining the refund amount based on a "Code" is part of the problem.  Its great that we can create refunds.  But calculating the refund amount based on a code is not so easy. 

Its been almost 3 years since this was requested and only crickets...

chelise
Visitor
1 0 0

My company would really benefit from having this feature! Being able to add or remove discounts is a must. I am looking forward to when Shopify adds this feature! 🙂 

kub
Pathfinder
118 2 43

This is needed . So much timeloss and image loss for customers. Also i need to modify an order where an automatic value discount was added. After adding and removing some items the value was changed !

I applied a 10€ automatic discount and after adding and removing items the discount was €7,68 ! Why??

ChristineParl
Visitor
2 0 1

Ash - Why doesn't Shopify support adding a discount code post order placement?  I read your above reply and it's very nice and thorough - and at the end you ask the poster why they need this function.  The real question is - why WOULDN"T this function be available?  In so many instances it is needed! I don't use discount codes on my checkout - for many reasons - the most prominent of which is that it promotes people calling me up asking for a discount and I don't do coupons.  However - at times I tell a bulk customer to place an order and I"ll apply the discount retroactively - but I CAN"T... because I can't apply a discount retroactively!  So I have to take the order manually and it's such a PAIN IN THE A** . Or I have to refund the customer the discounted amount - but then they never have a proof of invoice reflecting any discount. It's just such a BASIC feature.  why can't Shopify add this?

PauR
Shopify Partner
6 0 3

Shopify, we still need this functionality

kub
Pathfinder
118 2 43
Yes definitely still need. In many cases i need to make a new order hoping
that customer does pay again because canceling old order does not refund
immediately.
MickoG
Visitor
1 0 4

I just had this problem today. The answer was to jump through the hoops of a customer service flowchart to get to "Chat Support"and the "I am not a Robot" security picture game, wait in line for 5 minutes for chat, then get a one way chat with an unresponsive customer service person on the other side, followed by another "Support Chat" with delayed written  responses sometimes 3 or more minutes at a time then..? After all that, NO solution options. The "work around" solution I was given was to: cancel the order, refund the order, recreate the one time use discount code, then recreate the order, re apply the one time use code and finally re-bill the order. Not to mention all the emails back and fourth with the customer to explain what was going on. What a tedious work around for a problem that could have been solved easily on the coding level. Seeing how this thread is 3 years old and the developers never fixed this in the past 3 years is very disappointing. That is not a customer oriented approach as I am sure there are many brilliant people who work there and have the ability to easily fix this. As a Shopify customer of many years I have seen an absolute landslide in quality of customer service. 

Scotty_McPherso
Tourist
3 0 9

We need this feature too. Even just a way to re-apply the original discount so we don't end up sending the customer an invoice for the missing discount?

Scotty

bredowmax
Shopify Partner
86 1 126

Yes this is needed, I agree to everyone in this thread!

David_at_ITB
Visitor
1 0 1

I have a workaround which might help others. Temporarily change the price of the replacement product and use "Add Custom Product" to account for any rounding error.

I wanted to remove a discounted product (quantity of 2) and replace it with another product of the same value (also quantity of 2).  Both products were selling for 2 x $40 before discounting. There were other discounted products in the order, which meant the overall discount was reduced by $2.17 when I removed the discounted product (now quantity of 0) and added the replacement product (now quantity of 2), meaning I would need to ask the customer to pay an additional $2.17.

I changed the price of the replacement product on its product page to $18.91 (because it would not accept $18.915). Then I returned to the order, reloaded the replacement product. Now the order was out by $0.01 (i.e. need to refund 1 cent to the customer). I added a custom product called rounding. Now the order value was the same as the customer had paid.

I hope this makes sense and helps someone else.

DougK9
Visitor
1 0 0

I actually like this idea, but you just need to be aware if you have any current visitors on your site while you do this.  Otherwise, they may snatch up the item at the temporary discount.

MojoPin
Tourist
7 0 13

@DougK9 wrote:

I actually like this idea, but you just need to be aware if you have any current visitors on your site while you do this.  Otherwise, they may snatch up the item at the temporary discount.

Just duplicate the item, don't publish it to ANY channel, and put the price at the discounted price or zero. 🙂

That's how I'm doing it now. Works a lot better than having to cancel an order, create a new one, etc.

Ben31
Trailblazer
195 8 141

@MojoPin wrote:

@DougK9 wrote:

Just duplicate the item, don't publish it to ANY channel, and put the price at the discounted price or zero. 🙂

That's how I'm doing it now. Works a lot better than having to cancel an order, create a new one, etc.

OP here, the original problem was with customer-specific discounts added to POS orders, not site-wide discount codes.

There are a lot of these types of threads (not necessarily related to discounts) and the common theme is data flexibility to keep pace with customers who:

• Change their minds
  • Forget they signed up to a newsletter so have to re-enter their details all over again (a Shopify POS issue)
  • Accidentally create multiple accounts but now want their accounts/purchases/vip status points merged

At least one administrator needs the power to edit anything to keep customers happy and to have clean, confusion-free data moving forward.

Shopify's recommended workflow of cancel/start again creates a confusing, messy trail for both customers and store owners alike. I've said it before but it's 2020, this stuff is totally possible.

MojoPin
Tourist
7 0 13

SHOPIFY! Please add this functionality as soon as possible.

It is vital to not have to cancel order 1 and make order 2, when order 1 could just be edited in the first place.

It's confusing for customers, and time-consuming for shop owners.

naturhandel
Visitor
2 0 1

Why Why Why is this function not added yet??

Im bright new to shopify but this is a basic must have function that most shoppers need... I found the workaround like another posted.. But everything else in shopify is smooth.. why does this have to be so hard to make?

templeflakes
Tourist
8 0 28

Just adding my voice to the need for this. Yes I can add refund the amount, but when using a discount code to track success of an advertising campaign in non-digital material (so no UTM code) not being able to add the discount code makes it so it doesn't count as part of the earnings using that a given code.

mikeyonaboat
Tourist
8 0 6

+1! I also need this feature. This is pretty common for reasons like:
- Customer placed an order but forgot to use the discount code, so they email customer service to add in the code

- We need to apply discounts retroactively, for things like price adjustments on sales

ayellowgiraffe
Excursionist
32 0 58

Yes! It's already July 2022 and still haven't seen an update where I can just simply add a "Free Shipping" discount code as a courtesy for my customer! I even capture payments manually so it's not like I already received the money. And, no, I don't want to refund after capturing payment because apparently Shopify doesn't refund the transaction fee when you process a refund. I just want to add a code before processing payment, thank you very much!

Bill6
Shopify Partner
47 0 17
This does not provide any solution to the problem described in this thread.

squarpeg1
Excursionist
13 0 4

This is a basic feature needed on any ecommerce web site. Customers often forget to add the coupon then want it adjusted after order is placed.  Also you may want to negotiate a discount on the fly with a customer over some issue. Why has this not been incorporated yet in the edit function?

MowerSport
Tourist
4 0 3

Nearly 3 years later and a discount still can't be added to an order when you edit it. Cancel the order and create a new one isn't a reasonable work around. Like most suggestions, it appears Shopify does not care & will never introduce them. Shopify users pay a premium amount for a service which is getting worse/non-existent.