Non-latin characters at checkout/shipping/billing address

NoeZoe
2 0 10

Hi there,

couldn't find anything helpful on this topic. Is there a way to decline all non-latin characters (e.g. Chinese, cyrillic, japanese, etc.)  for billing and shipping address?! Customs always require a translation for these orders or they will not be processed. Somebody has a solution for this?!

Thanks in advance.

Replies 44 (44)
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4510 433 981

Hi @NoeZoe,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question!

I looked into this for you and spoke to our higher level support team about it. They mentioned this is something which wouldn't be possible if it is already possible to add these characters. 

The only way this might be possible is if you were on the Shopify Plus plan where it would allow you to edit the checkout.liquid file, but I am not 100% of that. Something I will do however is submit this as a feature request to our development team for the future. I can see how this would help and benefit your business with the example you mentioned in your post. If you could go into further detail about this and how it can help you, it would be appreciated as extra information for the feature request. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear, but I hope it helps clear it up for you. 

All the best, Nick 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Mateusz3
Shopify Partner
4 0 7

I also believe there should be an option to block non-Latin characters. We (EU based store) recently had an order with Chinese characters and this caused problems with printing the shipping labels. According to Universal Postal Union agreement, the address should have been written in Latin characters only.

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4510 433 981

Hi @Mateusz3,

Thanks for reaching out and giving this feedback. I can completely see and understand how this might be annoying or cause problems for some orders. As I mentioned above I will add this information to the feature request for our development team. Thanks. 

kangaxx
1 0 2

Hi Nick

I would also like to know if or when this feature request becomes available. Our issue is that we cannot automate csv exports to our fulfilment/supply chain if they contain non-latin characters. This poses a significant problem for us as order volumes increase.

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4510 433 981

Hi @kangaxx,

I put through the feature request when the first message was originally posted above so the team is aware. Thank you for adding some more feedback and extra context on this. 

All I can say for now is to hold tight and keep an eye out for any potential updates on this. 

Canneman
2 0 1

Hey Nick, great the team is looking at this. 

How would we know when this comes available. As for us it is also a must have for our 3PL. Currently we are paying 2000$ / year for an address (lookup) verification app. Which is ridiculous in my opinion. 

If possible it would be highly appreciated if you could please let me know what we can expect, when, and if you need beta testers.... I am all ears. 

Cheers, 

r

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4510 433 981

Hi @Canneman,

This is something where once implemented there would generally be an email sent out to notify you of any updates. I'm not sure on any timelines for product updates. For now, it's something where we will all have to sit tight on. I would love to give you more information if I could but for the moment we will have to continue to wait and see. 

Antony_Roberts
1 0 2

We'd really like to see this added on to shopify as we have 5 separate brands/stores operating on Shopify. Our couriers do not allow none Latin characters to be entered so we're not able to process the many orders we get from Russia that include non Latin characters. We've had to cancel many orders due to this issue and are looking at alternative solutions.

Anvanda
Excursionist
14 0 3

Everybody needs this and still no solution from shopify.

Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
4510 433 981

Hi @Antony_Roberts and @Anvanda,

Thank you for your feedback. I will put this through again as a feature request for our development team for the future. Information such as the quote below: 

Our couriers do not allow none Latin characters to be entered so we're not able to process the many orders we get from Russia that include non Latin characters. We've had to cancel many orders due to this issue and are looking at alternative solutions.

is hugely beneficial to our development team in terms of adding context as to why this is beneficial to you and your business moving forward. 

Allison_Foley
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Upvote for this feature, please & thanks!

WarrenFosse
2 0 4

Hi Nick,

I understand that this has been submitted for feature consideration.  I also can see from a quick search online that this has been asked for consistently by Shopify store owners since at least 2013.

I ask for all of us that the development team actually listen and take this seriously.  We can't do anything on our end to stop this currently and we have to either rudely cancel the orders (flushing money down the drain and alienating customers) or spend days and sometimes weeks trying to get a usable address from these customers.

It doesn't seem like a hard thing to do to limit a character set.  And hey all of you Shopify App developers out there, this one would get used by a large number of store owners!

Warren

mplaza
Tourist
3 0 3

Hey! This is late, but for anyone still looking for this -- we made a script that will block non-ascii characters. Unfortunately, it only works if you're on Shopify Plus and have the ability to add a custom script at checkout, but if that applies to you, you should check it out. Code and installation instructions here: https://github.com/agencyenterprise/ascii-only

Anvanda
Excursionist
14 0 3

nah that aint helpful

if someone proposes a solution it should benefit everybody. 

Shopify can fix this if they want to

WarrenFosse
2 0 4

Wow!  Thank you so much for the script.  Our Customer Service team thanks you a thousand times over...

Congratulations for proving that Shopify could have done this ages ago if they cared at all about helping with issues like this.  Add that script and make the call an on/off toggle on the Admin.  Done.

Anvanda
Excursionist
14 0 3

After pasting and sending them the Guthub code (thanks btw)  just received a long as$ message from the shopify customer "support" . Why its not possible. wtf did they even read my email?

Hello,

I'm Shaneen, from the Shopify Guru Team. I hope that this email finds you well. 🙂

I highly appreciate you for sending us an email and letting us know about some concerns you have with character problem with fulfillment in checkout. As I've read your email, I can see how steadfast you are in getting these requests implemented in our platform as they are already affecting your business in the ways you just mentioned. I totally understand that you want to move to another platform because only Shopify Plus can customize checkout page. I really do. I know how important this is to you and I'd do my very best to help you in any way I can.

I have coordinated with our theme developers about your query, however, I have confirmed that the checkout page cannot be altered, customized or tampered in any way due to PCI Compliance.

The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a security standard for organizations that handle credit and debit card information. The standard was created to increase controls around payment data to reduce fraud.

If you want to sell online and accept payments from Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover, your software and hosting needs to be PCI compliant- if the checkout is customized, it will violate the PCI compliance.

You can click the link below to learn more about PCI Compliance.

I would like to apologize. I hope you know that if it was possible, we would do anything for our valued Merchants. But yes, things do change and our terms and guidelines adapt accordingly. With our current generation and technology that's innovating in an exponential pace, we definitely need to keep up with the industry's standard. It might be inconvenient for some, but we try and do our best to see to it that in the end, everyone will still be affected in a positive way. I hope you understand and I would like to thank you in advance for your consideration.

I do not want to leave things as they are, so what I can do for you right now to make it up to you is by researching your previous tickets and have our development team review them. This way, we can learn more and possibly think of better ways on how to handle different types of backend issues and how to improve the platform overall. Rest assured that we will learn from this.

I wish I could do this with a snap or I wish I had a magical switch to make this easier for you. I really hope you understand. Your patience and understanding will be much appreciated.

If you have any further questions, you may get real-time assistance from a live representative via Chat and Phone by dialing 1-888-746-7439. Just make sure to reference our ticket, Ticket #14775933, so the next representative can continue where we left off.

Don't forget that you have the Help Center and Forums at your disposal if you'd like to know more about how the platform works!

Cheers,
Shaneen | Shopify Guru

Shopify is here to support you through BFCM. Whether your business is just breaking out or you're preparing to break records, the BFCM Toolbox has the resources you need to sell your best.

Please take a second to rate your support experience.
great
Fast, friendly, helpful, pleasant. Great job!
ok
Fine, but definitely could have been better.
not good
Unfortunately, I wasn’t happy with it at all.

yes that red symbol at the right is what I was looking for

mplaza
Tourist
3 0 3

Yeah, Shopify only allows you to customize checkout if you're on Shopify Plus. Sorry!

Chura7
Tourist
3 0 0

Hi there.  Thanks for this, I am also having the similar issues.  We are a UK based company but we get many orders from abroad including Japan.  I can read Japanese so I usually re-write the address in English Characters which is annoying but manageable.  The biggest problem for me is the order of the address when printing labels/shipping slips.  Shopify automatically prioritise how we write addresses in English speaking countries. 

For example, it appears something along the line of; name, house number, house name, city, post code and country.

This is a problem for asian countries like Japan because how we should write the address should be: name, city, ward, house name, house numbers and country. The order is completely different.  

Is there a way to somehow customise how the address appears for certain countries?  It would help us so much if we can do this.

LASMerch
1 0 1

SHOPIFY - Please please please prioritize this long standing feature request.  The situation with US Customs has gotten even worse in the last few months and we really require this feature.  

Thanks!