Only sell and ship in the UK

eleni-mum
1 0 0

I want to be able to state that we only sell and ship within the UK. I don't have the energy for tax and customs overseas. How do I set this as a restriction please?

Reply 1 (1)
Summer
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 158 90

Hey, @eleni-mum! Welcome to Shopify Community!

You can restrict the countries you ship and sell to by setting up the shipping zones in your Shipping and delivery settings. You simply need to add the UK as a shipping zone and ensure no other country is added, so only the UK can be selected as a country on the information page of the checkout. If you have not set up your shipping zones yet, you can follow the steps below to do so.

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.
  2. Click Manage rates beside the shipping profile you're using.
  3. Scroll down to the Shipping to section.
  4. Click Create shipping zone.
  5. Enter the zone name (e.g. "Domestic").
  6. Search the UK or the countries you wish to ship to and check them individually.
  7. Click Done.
  8. If you need to add shipping rates, you may refer to the guides on this page. If not, proceed to the next step.
  9. Click Save.

If you already have a shipping zone and you'd like to edit it so it only contains the country you ship to, you can go through the following steps:

1. In your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.
  2. Click Manage rates beside the shipping profile you're using.
  3. Scroll down to the Shipping to section.
  4. Click the ellipsis or the three dots opposite your shipping zone name.
  5. Select Edit zone and check or uncheck the appropriate countries to add or remove countries in this zone.
  6. Click Done.
  7. Click Save.

After you've set up your shipping zones, you can then advise your customers about your shipping terms on your shipping policy page. If you don't have one yet, you can create and add one to your store with the guide on this page. Additionally, to make it more prominent on your website, you can add a brief notice about your new shipping condition through an announcement bar. If you have an Online 2.0 theme, you can refer to this page to find and add the announcement bar. If you have a Vintage Shopify theme, you can see this page. Other than adding the announcement bar through the theme, you can also use an app, such as Quick Announcement Bar, to add it instead.

Since you're only selling domestically, it's a good idea to channel your focus on enhancing the customer experience for local customers. You could offer free expedited shipping nationwide, or offer local delivery and local pickup to customers in your area. These tactics can have a great impact on the order process in your store and will result in an increase in orders. If you're interested in learning how strategies like those I suggested can help your business, feel free to read the following blog posts on how local delivery can boost sales in your store and how your business can benefit from local pickup.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog