Option to do a credit card authorization hold?

natasha87
Visitor
2 0 8

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to process a credit card auth/hold in Shopify without any 3rd party apps and without changing all payments to "manual". 

For example, I would love to offer customers the option to try a few items on and just send back the items that they don't want to keep. In that case, we would place a hold on their card for the total amount sent to them and would only end up charging them for what they keep. 

Another scenario is lending items to a stylist for a shoot. We would like to keep a credit card auth on the items in case they don't get sent back or they are sent back damaged.

Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Thank you!

Replies 17 (17)

jarredbpb
Visitor
1 0 2

This use case is similar to what I need for my business... If Shopify is listening, then they can capture more market share if they are able to develop this feature quickly due to covid impacting the hospitality industry so severely...

Specifically, I need to be able to pre-auth credit cards to start a bar tab... then a few hours later when the customer decides to leave, they can close out their tab and we can capture the payment. 

In addition to this, being able to save a cart and have that cart be view the on other POS devices would be huge.... Restaurants, bars, etc would be fools to sleep on the Shopify platform. Please make these features ASAP to help us grow. And lower your CC rate to 2.3% 😉

LEL2
Tourist
4 0 1

I have the same question.  Does anybody have answers?

"Fine jewelry one at a time." ellie@leljewelry.com http://www.leljewelry.com
WSAbiz
Visitor
2 0 1

Curious if you ever got a final answer on this? I have been trying to determine this as well.

natasha87
Visitor
2 0 8

Nope! I would love an answer too.

Cahillmp
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Natasha, sorry to disturb you. I see Shopify never replied to your question last year. I have the same requirement. i.e. Have a customer authorize a CC payment but not be  actually billed unless we manually  process it or maybe automatically 45 days later. 
where you able to find a solution from a third party etc?

hloftdesigns
Tourist
5 0 4

I have the same problem, hoping the more people add to this thread, the more momentum we can get for Shopify to get a temporary auth feature added. It would be a game changer! 

hloftdesigns
Tourist
5 0 4

In the meantime while we wait for a response from Shopify, how are you all going about partial/temporary payment holds?

My client has a dress rental business - she wants to put a temporary hold on the credit card until the dresses are returned so that she can charge extra if the dress is damaged or returned late. 

cupio-closet
Tourist
10 0 3

Wanted to forward this response on from @hloftdesigns (Big shout out and hope it helps for anyone)

Look into the below apps:

• Partial.ly
  • Split it

In a nutshell: Partial.ly can charge additional fees at later dates, but can't do temporary CC authorization.  So in the case of my client's dress rental business, the customer would pay the full price of the dress rental when checking out, and - at time of checkout - sign an agreement that confirms the terms under which any late fees and/or damage fees would be charged once the dress is returned. 

Split it, on the other hand, can do temporary CC authorizations, but cannot charge for anything above what that authorization amount is. So, in the example of the dress rental, if a dress cost $200 to rent and the damage/late fee is $100, there would be a temporary hold of $300 and - if the dress is returned on time and without damages - they would only be charged the $200 price. 

Ultimately, partial.ly worked better for my client's needs because the damage fees and late fees vary significantly item to item. 

Hope that's helpful and feel free to share with the thread if you'd like! 

NK_at_MK
Visitor
1 0 2

Hoping to draw more attention to this post! We would love this as a feature. It would be great to authorize a hold or charge a certain % of a potential buy that can be used towards the eventual purchase of the item. 

We have a policy where we have offered to send customers up to 6 garments to try, and then they select what they want from there. We charge them when we receive their undamaged rejects back in the store. We have them upload pics of their IDs and CCs in a separate encrypted platform, so that we can do the manual entry once it is ready to go but the process is clunky/not seamless. And a bit risky for us!

FridgyRentals
Excursionist
15 0 30

Hi Shopify

It would be great to see some traction on this, we need it.  There are many posts on this dating back 2019 but no response from Shopify.

Please give us a realistic update.

Thanks in advance.

LiviLuLane
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi everyone! It seems like this function is something a lot of us have needed for awhile. Does anyone know if Shopify has made any advancements here or are the apps "Partial.ly" and "Split it" still our best/only options? Thanks!

hloftdesigns
Tourist
5 0 4
Your best bet is to link Stripe as your payment processor (instead of
shopify) and do it through them. Get on a call with someone from stripe and
they can walk you through it. Hope this helps!
SBSPLSB
Visitor
2 0 0

are you able to put a hold on the customers CC account or charge the customers CC at a later time?

FridgyRentals
Excursionist
15 0 30

Yes, my upgrade has finally gone live, it uses the Booqable app and Stripe Payments which allows me to charge at a later time😁...there are limits to this but it is far better than having the customer charged a bond, paying Shopify their fee then having to refund the bond and Shopify not refunding their fee🤦🏽‍♂️

SBSPLSB
Visitor
2 0 0

i just found an app called downpay by hypehound. it integrates with shopify so its a more seamless experience. they are still in beta but should be launching soon but works amazingly so far.

https://hypehound.io/

AGab
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Hi there,

We actually encountered the first use case described and have created a solution for it with our app called Tryon. Our app basically allows merchants to offer a 'Try Before You Buy' experience while we maintain an authorization hold on the customer's card and we manage all the communications with them via emails. After the customer's pre-defined trial period is over, you as a merchant can update at the app about what was returned and we capture the necessary funds based on an automatic calculation of the costs of items the customer kept.

You can check it out here: https://apps.shopify.com/tryon-try-before-you-buy

Would love to hear your opinion and help you with anything that's needed.

AGab
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Hi there,

We actually encountered the first use case you described and have created a solution for it with our app called Tryon. Our app basically allows merchants to offer a 'Try Before You Buy' experience while we maintain an authorization  hold on the customer's card and we manage all the communications with them via emails. After the customer's pre-defined trial period is over, you as a merchant can update at the app about what was returned and we capture the necessary funds based on an automatic calculation of the costs of items the customer kept.

You can check it out here: https://apps.shopify.com/tryon-try-before-you-buy

Would love to hear your opinion and help you with anything that's needed.