Order has been placed before the payment completion on third party payment gateway

Seb0406
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Team,

Could you please guide me here.

We are using a third party payment gateway.

Situation: We want the orders to be placed once the payment is been completed via third party app. However, currently the orders are been generated in Shopify at the Checkout page when a customer clicks on "Complete Order".

The expected scenario is, once the customer clicks on button "Complete Order" it should redirect to the payment gateway page where the customer enters the card details and does the payment and then it triggers back to the shopify page as the order confirmation.

However, currently what happens is: The order is been generated in shopify when the customer clicks on button "Complete Order" as it does not wait for rest of the flow..

Could you please share some ideas on how to fix this.

Many thanks in advance.    

Replies 6 (6)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Seb0406,

Hyde here from Shopify.

On offsite payment gateways, the customer needs to wait until they're returned to Shopify's website after completing their purchase before we turn it into an order. We cannot complete an order before the third-party gateway sends us a confirmation.

So I'm curious as to what third-party gateway you're using that seems to be interrupting that normal flow. Could you provide me with a little more information in that respect?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Evan150
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I actually have the same problem whereby order will already be confirmed even before payment is completed. I use a third party payment gateway called "Midtrans". When I press the "complete order" button on check out page, I will be taken to an external URL of the said payment gateway, and seconds later I already received an order confirmation of that particular test. Even as I was still in the middle of completing the payment. I am not an IT expert, but it seems that Shopify confirms the order prematurely before receiving a payment successful token from the third party payment gateway.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Evan150

As I mentioned in my previous response: 

On offsite payment gateways, the customer needs to wait until they're returned to Shopify's website after completing their purchase before we turn it into an order. We cannot complete an order before the third-party gateway sends us a confirmation.

In other words, Midtrans must be sending a premature order notification to Shopify, which is outwith our control. It would be worth your while to reach out to them directly for clarity on what is going on. -Hyde

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

capitaofausto
Visitor
2 0 0

We are having the same problem in our application. The order confirmation email comes before the user completes the payment. We are using manual payment method through Stripe Connect integration. Another perhaps important note we are using MultiVendor Marketplace integration to manage all the sellers and products listing and we also configured Stripe Connect integration there.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

UmbrellaFranco
Tourist
4 1 0

Hello team,

I'm also having this exact problem, I use payment gateway EasyPay. Looks like is more of build in issue at shopify side as its affecting several third party gates.
Is there a solution on this?

Thanks,

Ecomize
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi all,

Just to chip in on this topic. We are experiencing the same problems with a 3rd party payment gateway.

Since the last reply on this topic on 08-20-2021 I do not see any updates.

Has there been a fix or is it planned to be fixed?