Order not showing up in Shopify, but my payment gateway has captured the order

Mufasa_Digital
4 0 0

Hello,

A customer placed an order yesterday, which is not showing up in my Shopify dashboard or reports and I did not get a notification about it. However, my payment gateway (Paystack) is showing the order as successfully captured.

Please help? Why and how did this happen? This can become a big problem if it happens continuously in the future.

Kind Regards,

Corbin

Reply 1 (1)

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 88 146

Hey @Mufasa_Digital 

I have actually seen this sort of situation happen before. It sounds like maybe the customer has closed off the browser window too quickly after ordering, and before they reached the 'Thank You' order confirmation page. When this happens, there's a small possibility that the payment will be captured but the order will not be registered back to the Orders section of your admin.

This is because Paystack is an external third party payment gateway (you must leave the Shopify checkout to process payment), and so the customer must return to the Shopify checkout and land on the 'Thank You' page once they've completed payment in order for the order to show up in the admin. Unless the customer returns to the checkout after paying, our systems would have no way of knowing if the checkout was completed.

What I would advise here, is to wait a day or two and keep an eye on the payment in your Paystack account (just to make sure it isn't a pre-authorisation charge or something like that). If you are confident that the payment has definitely been captured and you have received the funds, then you can Create a Draft Order and mark it as paid. This will allow you to see the order in your admin and process the shipment to the customer/update your inventory levels etc. 

You could also reach out to the customer and ask them to confirm that payment has been made on their end, and that they can see the money has left their account. Depending on the information Paystack show you about the transaction, you may also need to ask them to confirm the contents of the order so you can create it again manually. Let me know how you get on with this so I can make sure it gets resolved for you.

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog